SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Potentially help me with an impulse buy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potentially help me with an impulse buy Login/Join 
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
We need a sigforum auxillary - wives telling you not to buy anything but frilly shit and floor covering. You know, things that don't hold their value. If you come here, expect to be told to buy it. But you knew that and still asked. I have no idea what your age is nor income.

If you're over 50 and don't have an overflowing safe, you're doing something wrong. But you can solve that buy purchasing another safe, this time much bigger. And keep the old one. No, I don't own a .50, but I've made up for it by owning a bunch of .45s. Shooting shit at long range can be fun.

Back in my high school days (long ago) we had a gravel pit with an fossil Buick on a hill side. It didn't have a problem with breathing, it had plenty of holes. One of the fun things was to lob a bunch of old fashioned lead bullets at it. After a while you figured out the elevation. The best thing about Buicks is the satisfying clang they made when hit solidly. We never did hike up to it to see the results.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Think of it, not as a want ... but a NEED!

(This is a want that you NEED to fulfill)

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Bad place to come to get talked out of buying any gun. No matter what it is the answer is always yes if you want something, even if people don’t necessarily agree with your purchase, you should get it!

Posts: 1301 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm pretty certain you will find that the 50 isn't pleasant to shoot. With bare muzzle, the recoil is brutal. With a brake -- recoil is tamed, but the noise is hideous and the pressure blast back at you can cause congestion and headaches. The noise, blast, and recoil is only reasonable with a big-ass high-quality 50 BMG-rated suppressor.

You will almost certainly find that 50 BMG isn't all that accurate, especially with factory ammo. Tuning ammo to your barrel helps. You will find that shooting 50 BMG accurately requires impeccable technique.

You'll find that your 338LM is more accurate and easier to shoot.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Buy it if you want it. Simple.

I bought a 416 Rigby bolt action because might (want) to go on a Cape Buff hunt (22 years ago). Still have it, still want to go. Will be 77 this month. Shoot couple rounds every couple years at deer camp for grins.

Posts: 655 | Location: South Texas | Registered: February 27, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
How is this in anyway an "impulse buy"?

You didn't buy it on the spot, you posted for comments, and it was roughly 40 hours from the time you posed the question until you said it fit in your safe!

No matter ... Congrats

Where's those pic's anyway?!?!?!?

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hey, hey it takes a day or two to meet up and make a purchase. Cool I'm trying to get it set up with glass before throwing up some pics.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
I'm pretty certain you will find that the 50 isn't pleasant to shoot. With bare muzzle, the recoil is brutal. With a brake -- recoil is tamed, but the noise is hideous and the pressure blast back at you can cause congestion and headaches. The noise, blast, and recoil is only reasonable with a big-ass high-quality 50 BMG-rated suppressor.

You will almost certainly find that 50 BMG isn't all that accurate, especially with factory ammo. Tuning ammo to your barrel helps. You will find that shooting 50 BMG accurately requires impeccable technique.

You'll find that your 338LM is more accurate and easier to shoot.

Ive only shot a 50 in a suppressed Barrett or in a mounted M2 so I may well find out that you are right. I couldnt resist though. I dont think I'll be shooting it more than once or twice a month. On the bright side if it turns out its a terrible decision, I dont have much trouble moving guns. I should be able to get it pieced together in time to go stretch its legs next month. On the upside it makes my 338 looks cute and vaguely affordable! I appreciate your advise but I didnt buy it for any practical reason.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have attended a few training sessions with Rifles Only ("RO"), based in Texas. They provide quite a bit of training for military, contractors, LEOs, agencies, and precision rifle competitors. Last time I spoke with RO's owner, the government limits the number of 50BMG rounds shot per day to either 25 or 30. This is due to maintaining the personnel health of their sniper teams. The rest of the day is spent dry firing and other forms of training. These sniper team members are guys who generally shoot more than 10k rounds per year of 308-ish caliber -- they are accustomed to dealing with recoil.

If I really had to own a heavy-caliber rifle, it would almost certainly be a 375 CheyTac. The CheyTac offers superb accuracy, coupled with the MV and high-BC bullets to make 1+ miles shots doable.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post