SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Potentially help me with an impulse buy
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Potentially help me with an impulse buy Login/Join 
posted
I have the opportunity to pick up a 50 cal for a pretty darn reasonable price locally. ($1400 Noreen ULR) I already have a 338LM and dont need to kill a car, truck or building but damn it, I want it.

I feel like its wildly impractical but I reload and have access to public land to shoot on. It seems like a Porsche where the argument is its dumb cause the speed limit is 60 but its so cool you still want it.

What say you? Life isnt always about need but buying things rampantly isnt a good idea either. I have some disposable income from recently selling some guns and so this wont put my kids in newspaper diapers or anything. Your thoughts as always are appreciated.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The fact that you’re asking in this forum means you want some moral support to buy the rifle.

So, you got it! Pictures when you get it!

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Anubismp:
...and dont need to kill a car, truck or...

Wow, ok. If you want to be all irresponsible and take that risk, it's your life. But never forget...

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
One Who Knows
Picture of Brother
posted Hide Post
Uhhmmm . . . what the hell are you waiting for?

Posts: 1587 | Location: Central MO | Registered: November 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dances With
Tornados
posted Hide Post
Whaaaat?

We expect to see pics of what you just bought!!!!

Posts: 11837 | Registered: October 26, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I’ve wanted to kill several cars...and one truck I can remember....soooo I’m gonna say go for it.

Seriously, do you have anywhere you can shoot it at distance?
If not then I’d pass.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
You know you want it! Go on! Buy it....carress it......shoot it!!! It's calling your name!!

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just buy it.

I passed on a Barrett M82 setup about 10ish years ago for a good price at the time, an unreal price by today's standards. I had, and still have zero practical use for it, but I so wish that monster was in my safe now.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of inspcalahan
posted Hide Post
buy the damn thing already...especially for that price. I had a .50 years ago and loved cranking it off every so often. Sold it after I moved to an area where I never shot it. Years later sold the ammo stockpile I had. That was the dumb part. The guns can be replaced for about the same cost. The ammo is a different story. Anyway, I'll have another. Even 10 rounds a year is worth it, if you have the place to shoot it.

Posts: 822 | Location: Alaska | Registered: April 29, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Meh.

Buy night vision.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not helpful I would guess. I didn't recognize the gun. looked it up. not my choice for a .50, but Ok at that price its pretty much can be an impulse buy.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do it.

I have a .50 that I bought on impulse in much the same way. I don't shoot it much, but every time I do it's a great time. You will enjoy it.

Posts: 158 | Location: Tampa | Registered: August 14, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Meh.

Buy night vision.

Yeah this! The rifle, optic, mount, plus loading components = Gen3 PVS-14.

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think I'd pass on that particular 50.

Posts: 1627 | Location: USA | Registered: December 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks so far.

I do have a few places to shoot it. I doubt it will make every range trip but I imagine it'll come out a few times a year. Unless that damn green goblin truck comes round.

For the two who've stated reservations about this particular 50, care to elaborate? I've read up on it and the only thing I've seen in the negative is one report of sharp edges and one report of tool marks / machining.

Also I have night vision though not 14s. I might consider that at some point in the near future.

Posts: 3044 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
Wouldn't be my choice, but I've made gun purchases that have others shaking their heads, so I say, "Why not?" If you want it and you can afford it, what's stopping you?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
$2172 new with good availability.

My $0.02

If you want it, I would negotiate down a bit ($1200-1250) or have the seller throw in some ammo. Many people pay a whole lot more for a lot less gun. Up to you how you value the fun of throwing big lead.

Posts: 2033 | Location: Virginia | Registered: April 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Like a party
in your pants
Picture of armored
posted Hide Post
A little off track, but I have a couple questions about shooting a .50.

How much, if any, more recoil does the bolt action rifles produce over the semi-auto.

I saw a Barrett.50 bolt action in a bull pup design, It would worry me to have my face hanging over the bolt and chamber, am I worried about a non problem.

A friend of mine won a Barrett.50 semi auto with a 20" barrel (as I remember)He can stand and shoot the thing like Rambo, and he's NOT a big guy.He brings it to the range every outing and shoots about 20 rounds, sometimes more and always lets me shoot a few. I have to admit, it is a blast.I would love one but would not spend the $12,000 for the thrill.
I also wonder about the 50 BMG round being fired out of a 20" barrel, I think If I was buying a 50. It would have the 29" or longer barrel.

Posts: 4622 | Location: Chicago, IL, USA: | Registered: November 17, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 19tass
posted Hide Post
If you want it, buy it. No need to have to justify. Life's too short!

Posts: 1204 | Location: Southern Illinois | Registered: November 17, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm shocked it fits in my safe. I'll throw up pics once I get a chance. On the bright side if the bowflex breaks I can just lift this monster!