SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I confirmed my zero today
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I confirmed my zero today Login/Join 
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted
Posted this before...nothing makes me feel better than knowing my zeros are GTG.

This time I took a sampling of my stash to confirm the different POI and with the suppressor and without.

Wish I had a 200-400m range close to confirm my dope sheets but it is what it is.

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Dew - I did the exact same thing today....in my back yard but I only shot suppressed because of the close proximity of my neighbors (none close to my berm area)....300 Blackout thru my Ruger American Rifle with one of my Omega’s attached....208gr A-Max makes a SMACK when it hits the dirt berm....Love that sound....

Posts: 3239 | Location: MS | Registered: December 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Even more important than ensuring it's clean.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Did that two weeks ago!! No better feeling than first shot perfection (or close enough)

Hit up a 200 yard range and was very happy that my 50/200 was damn nuts on at both after a year going in and out of the safe as needed. For reference Colt LE6940 with an Aimpoint Comp M4

Also sighted in my “backup” a BCM 20” A4 with irons.

Both now wiped down with a few patches through the barrel and GTG for whatever may come.

Posts: 198 | Location: Pittsburgh, PA | Registered: August 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yep. Put a red dot on the truck gun and sighted it in today as well.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Off and on, for years I fought with keeping a consistent zero from my AR15 with an 18" barrel. I reset the zero stop every few months -- almost always up and down, and within a 1.5-ish range. Frustrating, as it occurred with both the rifle's first and second barrels. Great barrels, too. The first barrel was definitely sub-MOA, roughly 3/4 MOA capable. The second barrel was even better, with .5 MOA capabilities for the right factory ammo -- at distances out to 500 yards.

The final straw was at a 2-rifle precision match, where I generally nailed targets while shooting from barriers, but shot generally high and sometimes low from prone. A buddy on my squad suggested my cheek weld was inconsistent. He was right. Dagnabbit.

I had a Magpul UBR stock on that AR. Nice in principle; not so great in my practice. After considering that the face in the mirror was the problem, I first tried another lower with a Magpul STR stock on the 18" upper -- my inconsistent verticals almost went away. I then tried a third lower with a Magpul PRS stock -- at which point my inconsistent verticals disappeared. So I yanked the UBR stock and bought another PRS stock. I'll never use a UBR stock again, as it just doesn't work for me.

I find that rifle zeros don't change if the following occur:
- The shooter has a consistent cheek weld and follows the fundamentals of marksmanship while breaking the shot. Probably the most important factor.
- The rings or mounts are solid to the rifle. And of course, the sight height remains constant.
- The optic is solid.
- The same ammo is used.
- The rifle has not experienced shocks which exceed the design parameters of the rifle, mount, and optics.

I now have both bolt action and AR15 rifles which have held their zeros for years, and after many thousands of rounds down their tubes.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Telecom Ronin
Picture of dewhorse
posted Hide Post
The cheek weld was something I had remind myself.....STUPID ME

I now go through the same ritual while shooting everytime to ensure proper repeatable cheek weld.

Not sure how I forgot this but at least I fixed it...

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
In the last few days I checked the zero on a few guns. This is more for deer hunting than whatever else. The two guns were my Browning A-Bolt in 284 Win, and my Knight 45 cal ‘Elite’ muzzle-loader.

Next weekend is the 1st IL gun deer hunt. I’m still thinking about getting to MI before the firearm deer season closes.

Of the various guns I have, it’s usually a fairly small rotation on what’s sighted & ready to go. I have a few in different categories, from 22 & 17 HMR on up.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post