SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    So my Bro wants my ARPistol--but I want a 9mm pistol to replace it
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

So my Bro wants my ARPistol--but I want a 9mm pistol to replace it Login/Join 
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted
My bro (he's crippled) wants my AR15 Pistol...he has 2 mini 14's and already has a buncha 223 ammo....he thinks he can sell the minis quickly w/o any fuss

He shot my pistol last week and he's in love with it. I threw it together with a buncha parts...it does what it is supposed to do and my bro really liked it.

He likes the almost no recoil and he cannot lift his Mini14 anymore to shoulder, so he wants the pistol to serve home protection duty-he can tuck in the pistol buffer tube against his belly and arm and can hit a person across the house, so I'm not worried about that..

I think I might give it to him, but I'd need to replace it with a 9mm AR pistol.

What say you braintrust?
What parts should I get and why?

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Lots of choices today. When I started on mine the MPX was a rumor so I opted for a QC10 lower and pieced it together from there. Obviously the MPX is available now along with several other choices. While I really enjoy my 9mm AR SBR, if I had to start all over today it would be hard to pass up what CZ is offering.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To Do What is
Right and Just
posted Hide Post
^^what he said. I waited for awhile for the mpx-k then kicked around an apc9 then walked into a screaming deal on the scorpion and haven't looked back. Like it for what it is with decent aftermarket support. Plus the price is right even new.

Posts: 2439 | Location: Usually Somewhere | Registered: July 28, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I have been really happy with my CZ scorpion. Magazines aren't too expensive and like smpsmp said, there seems to be decent aftermarket stuff out there.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by smpsmp:
^^what he said. I waited for awhile for the mpx-k then kicked around an apc9 then walked into a screaming deal on the scorpion and haven't looked back. Like it for what it is with decent aftermarket support. Plus the price is right even new.

OMG!!!!!!

the last pistol I paid that money for was my USPSA STI EDGE.....I cannot buy one that expensive again (especially with my reduced income)

I was thinking of a dedicated Glock magazine lower ...I see PSA has a few uppers/lowers that are interesting

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11247 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I built mine.
Rainer Upper
KAK Industries Barrel
Rock River BCG
Troy MLOK Rail

Anderson Lower
Colt Target Match LPK
PSA Mag Block
Rock River 9mm Buffer

I have a Meridian Ordinance dedicated Colt pattern lower I'll get around swapping to.
I prefer the Colt pattern to Glock pattern.

Building is fun. If I were just buying I'd go CZ Scorpion for cost MP5 if cost makes no difference.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
OK, so is the Colt magazine style any better than the Glock style mags?

Picture of aparoche
posted Hide Post
Give it to your bro...

And you have two options for a 9mm -- MPX if you have cash to burn or Scorpion if you want the inexpensive option. I went with the MPX and absolutely love it but I have heard great things about the Scorpion as well. I was down to these two options.

Posts: 524 | Registered: November 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Eh, not that I'm aware of. In hindsight I think the Colt pattern looks better as the mag is straight compared to the Glock pattern. I went Glock as their mags are everywhere. Not that Colts aren't, but just how I perceived it at the time.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:

Personal preference really. Both mags are about the same price around $20.
The Colt mags will work with any 9mm BCG no need for it ttheir be cut like the Glock mags.
I also dislike the insertion angle of the Glock mags.
So again just personal preference.

I'll have a 10mm Glock mag AR eventually.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25356 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have been looking at the PAK-9 and a pistol brace for it. It looks like a neat little pistol.

Posts: 6845 | Location: Treasure Coast,Fl. | Registered: July 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Sharps Brothers is coming out with a 9mm Jack Lower. I think the first batch is being anadized right now. It might be a while before I have the scratch, but it's on my list

Beth Greene

Posts: 7840 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'd rather have another 5.56 AR pistol (or .300 BLK) if for HD. For fun, building a 9mm AR would be a cool project.

Yet, I'm continually tempted by the Scorpions every time they go on sale...

“People have to really suffer before they can risk doing what they love.” –Chuck Palahnuik

Be harder to kill: https://preparefit.ck.page

Posts: 5043 | Location: Oregon | Registered: October 02, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post