SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SIG 556 production timeline
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SIG 556 production timeline Login/Join 
posted
Can anyone tell me when SIG started production of the 556 rifle and when the different variations came onboard? From what I've been able to find it looks like maybe 2007?

Also were they made here initially? Was reading an article that made it sound like they initially imported the uppers from Switzerland and assembled them on U.S. lowers set up for AR mags and M4 butt stocks. Not sure if I read it right or if it was correct?

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
No one? Don't know if this is right but from what I can find it looks like the first rifles offered had fixed, I presume M4 style stocks. The next variation was the Classic and Classic SWAT with folders?

Posts: 90 | Location: SW VA | Registered: January 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
good info here:

https://www.americanrifleman.o...g-556-series-rifles/

at one time - IIRC 2011-ish - sig 550-type lowers were available for purchase separately

but the original 2007 version had 'fishgill' forearm and a non-folding M4-stype adjustable stock

but between 2007 and its discontinuation there were numerous variations to include the P556

-----------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I've maintained an archive on certain subjects and certain platforms since I joined the forum, and have fairly extensive references on the SIG 556 platform.

The earliest info I have on the SIG 556, after the first production models reached customers, was December 2007. I'm afraid it would take a good amount of research to even begin to sift thru my info for actual dates on the various SIG 556 variations release dates after 2007, and I just don't have the time now.

Regarding their manufacture, I have never come across any information suggesting that the ER uppers were manufactured in Switzerland. Just the opposite in fact, the uppers were almost certainly U.S. made. However, several of the ER models were reported to have various Swiss manufactured parts. I have a list of these Swiss parts (reported by others).

Before the SIG 556 was released their was a promotional prototype photo released and while it was certainly similar to the first production models, there were some distinct differences also.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badhammer:
No one? Don't know if this is right but from what I can find it looks like the first rifles offered had fixed, I presume M4 style stocks. The next variation was the Classic and Classic SWAT with folders?

Correct, the first SIG 556 release, sometimes referred to as the ER, had an M4 style stock. Later, there were different variations and aftermarket accessories that allowed for different configurations.

Several years ago one of our forum members put together and outstanding reference to the various SIG 556 lowers (Trigger Groups). Badhammer, if this info interests you shoot me an email and I'll send you a copy.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you MDS. I'm currently considering the purchase of one of these early model rifles with the non-folding M4 stock. The rifle comes with a red dot sight marked STH-400A. I've seen the same sight on other Sig rifles and was wondering the sight came on the rifle from Sig?

Saw another photo where the sight is marked as Sig Arms so the STH-400A reflex sight must be something Sig marketed back around the time these rifles were coming out.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Badhammer,

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Badhammer:
Thank you MDS. I'm currently considering the purchase of one of these early model rifles with the non-folding M4 stock. The rifle comes with a red dot sight marked STH-400A. I've seen the same sight on other Sig rifles and wuss wondering the sight came on the rifle from Sig?

I'm not familiar with the STH-400A. The optic that came from the factory with my P556 was the SIG marked Mini Red Dot STS-81, and I've seen other SIG rifles come standard with this optic at times. I don't believe the first SIG 556s came standard with any optic.

No ethanol!
posted Hide Post
I was buying at the time, and Sig had so many variations many Gunbroker auctions had pictures and descriptions which did not match. I started to write them down so I'd know what was really being offered. There were so many variations, duplication, and repeated names I stopped trying to make sense of what SIG clearly did not try to make sense of.

Some of this below were "patrol" descriptions (short handguards) but I'm no longer sure which (-006, -007?). There were 2 versions of the folding stocks found on models with 556 3-something. There were receivers with r flip popsicle stick sights even with rotary sight over top, and many without. Later receivers did not have raised fencing on left side, and came with flat sides, no rear sight.

Sorry, I don't seem to be able to hold any format to this.... edited for clarity.

556 model, Handguard, Stock, Sights, Muzzle brake, Description

556 001, Fishgill / Mako, collapsible AR, Fixed / Flip up, birdcage,
556 002, Quadrail, collapsible AR, Fixed ft, rotary, birdcage, Classic Swat
556 003, Swiss copy -Green, collapsible AR, Fixed / Flip up, QD copy, Classic
556 004, Swiss copy, collapsible AR, Folding ft, dot, birdcage, Classic
556 005, Quad w/light+ grip, collapsible AR, Fixed ft, rotary, birdcage, (orig) Swat
556 006, Swiss copy, collapsible AR, Ft + R flip, birdcage, Classic
556 007, Swiss copy, collapsible AR, Fixed / Flip up + Dot, birdcage, Classic
556 008, Fishgill / Mako, Magpul PRS, none, DMR
556 301, Fishgill / Mako, Side Folding, Ft Fixed + dot, birdcage, Classic
556 302, Quadrail, Side Folding, Ft fixed, R rotary, QD 17T, Swat Classic
556 303, Swiss copy -Green, Side Folding, Ft Fixed R flip, birdcage, Classic
556 304, Swiss copy, Side Folding, Ft fixed, R rotary + dot, birdcage, Classic
556 306, Swiss copy, Side Folding, Ft fixed, R rotary, birdcage, Classic
556 008, repeat w/Quadrail, Magpul PRS, none, (new) DMR
556 407, Like 556302 above, Side Folding But with birdcage

So many changes, I stopped buying and checking. You are all welcome to add or correct this as you may have boxes marked with model numbers and the specifics.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: preten2b,

------------------
The plural of anecdote is not data. -Frank Kotsonis

Posts: 1990 | Location: Berks Co PA | Registered: December 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by preten2b:
I was buying at the time, and Sig had so many variations many Gunbroker auctions had pictures and descriptions which did not match. I started to write them down so I'd know what was really being offered. There were so many variations, duplication, and repeated names I stopped trying to make sense of what SIG clearly did not try to make sense of.

Some of this below were patrol versions but I'm no longer sure (-006, -007?)(short handguards). There were 2 versions of the folding stocks found on models with 556 3-something. There were receivers with r flip sights that were OK, and some flip sights were simple popsicle sticks. Later receivers did not have raised fencing on left side, and came with flat sides.

Sorry, I don't seem to be able to hold any format to this...

Good info, thanks for posting! Trying to keep up with SIGs various model iterations and spontaneous design changes can be an exercise in futility.

I like your signature tag line. Wink