SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Army Times: "The Army’s next machine gun could fire caseless ammo..."
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Army Times: "The Army’s next machine gun could fire caseless ammo..." Login/Join 
Gracie Allen is my
personal savior!
posted Hide Post
Well, if it isn't typo then they've solved all of the development problems associated with caseless ammunition by reverting to a 35" long muzzle loading rifle.

Posts: 27291 | Location: Deep in the heart of the brush country, and closing on that #&*%!?! roadrunner. Really. | Registered: February 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hell. When I was running around with my 249 I would have been happy with a machine gun that wasn't an unreliable piece of shit that wasn't prone to breaking. Also it would be nice for the bipod to actually not pop out on you when you really don't want it to.
And if memory serves me right combat load for the SAW was 800 something rounds (4 drums) plus a spare barrel. I always kept the short one in the gun and the long one in the bag.
I like the route that the marines went when they ditched the saw.

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Redleg06:
"The weapon will be at most 35 inches long and be able to fire 60 rounds per minute for 15 minutes without a barrel change."

I hope that's a typo!

The overall length of an M16A2 is 39 inches, M4 is 33 inches with stocker extended, The M27 is 33-36 inches depending on stock length.

For an M249 the sustained rate of fire is 50 rounds per minute. The new M27 is only capable of 36 rounds per minute (per Wikipedia). The cyclic rate of said weapons is much higher, but if you go cyclic you run the risk of melting the barrel.

Posts: 4584 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post