SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Newly Tricked-Out Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm Carbine
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Newly Tricked-Out Kel-Tec Sub2000 9mm Carbine Login/Join 
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted
Wow, what a huge difference a couple of mods make! I have a Beretta mag 9mm Sub2K Gen 2 and liked it except for the low and awkward (to me) sight picture/cheek weld. I recently purchased and added the following:

-Bushnell TRS-25 red dot scope
-Leapers UTG 1" riser
-MagPul AFG2 foregrip
-Tacticool rubber buffer tube cover
-Mcarbo double charging handle

The red dot scope sits much higher up and lets me get a good sight picture without cramming my neck and face down so low. I can't use the iron sights anymore but it's not a huge issue to me, I can see the top half of the front sight through the scope but I ignored it. The Bushnell needed a couple clicks of adjustment but I soon was dead on at 25 yards, the maximum I can shoot at the indoor range I used. The bolt tube cover made for a more comfortable cheek weld and the double charging handle was AWESOME. Kel-Tec should just include this as standard IMO.

I'm now VERY happy with this setup and have a sling from KT to add (the Sub Sling) and I'm also considering a light/laser for the future. Overall I spent around $175 to really kick this cool little carbine a couple notches UP!

Pic was upright, but I cropped and rotated:

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
90 views and not a single comment? Confused

Sheesh. It's no fancy AR, but it'll do the job.

Posts: 33807 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: November 12, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I will fear no evil..
Psalm 23:4
posted Hide Post
I have the 9mm Glock version. I like your set up and I agree the cheek weld, sight picture needs some tweaking. Looks like this solves that problem.

Posts: 947 | Location: NJ | Registered: September 05, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
I like it. I assume you lose the ability fold it with the red dot on there, correct?

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Phred:
I like it. I assume you lose the ability fold it with the red dot on there, correct?

That's what I was thinking.

But I completely agree about the cheek weld problem. A high rise red dot could potentially solve that. Perhaps a quick disconnect would still allow folding.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Blue Machine
Picture of Phred
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigJacket:
quote:

That's what I was thinking.

But I completely agree about the cheek weld problem. A high rise red dot could potentially solve that. Perhaps a quick disconnect would still allow folding.

Interesting idea. In theory, with a quick disconnect throw lever mount, you could take it off, fold it up and mount the optic to the bottom rail for storage. When you deploy it-unfold it, then mount the optic back on the top rail. I wonder how well it would return to zero.

Posts: 1626 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: February 27, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:

Yes, correct.

The folding thing almost was a gimmick to me anyway so it's no big loss.

It's already a short thing even with the stock adjusted to the third (longest) position.

Picture of craigcpa
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
90 views and not a single comment? Confused

Sheesh. It's no fancy AR, but it'll do the job.

Yeah, well, you just cost me $15 for the rubber buffer tube cover. Razz

==========================================
Just my 2¢

Clowns to the left of me, Jokers to the right ♫♫♫

Posts: 7731 | Location: Raleighwood | Registered: June 27, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
90 views and not a single comment

Get a decent optic, get a decent mount.
Feel better?

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hrcjon:
quote:
90 views and not a single comment

Get a decent optic, get a decent mount.
Feel better?

Some of us don't have 700 bucks laying around for an optic. What's wrong with what I have?

Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Nice sub2k. I added the Mcarbo trigger to my gen 1.

Posts: 3520 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of billnchristy
posted Hide Post
We found just having the rubber tube cover improved things considerably.

I need to build an ar-style shell deflector for ours. I'm a lefty and it spits shit all over my face.

------------------------------------
My books on Amazon: http://www.amazon.com/William-...id=1383531982&sr=8-1
email if you'd like auto'd copies.

Posts: 17916 | Location: Lawrenceville GA | Registered: April 15, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Does it still fold with all the accessories on it?

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 234 | Location: Bucks County, PA | Registered: December 24, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
I run trains!
Picture of SigM4
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tusk:
This looks like what you need.

http://www.midwestindustriesin...ct-p/mi-g2sub-t2.htm

I was just typing up to ask if anyone had used one of these yet and their thoughts. Lol

Success always occurs in private, and failure in full view.

Complacency sucks…

Posts: 5423 | Location: Wichita, KS (for now)…always a Texan… | Registered: April 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PASig:
quote:

Yes, correct.

The folding thing almost was a gimmick to me anyway so it's no big loss.

Thats about the only reason I would give these any consideration.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I came on here to recommend the Midwest Industries mount. Looks rock solid, and you can flip the mount to the side to fold it up or use the iron sights. There are YouTube reviews on it.

Posts: 6661 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JJexp
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SigM4:
quote:
Originally posted by Tusk:
This looks like what you need.

http://www.midwestindustriesin...ct-p/mi-g2sub-t2.htm

I was just typing up to ask if anyone had used one of these yet and their thoughts. Lol

I don't own one, but a gun club buddy brought one out with the Midwest industries mount, and it was by far the neatest mounting solution I've ever seen. It seemed to be well made, was solid with the aimpoint deployed, and the zero was spot on through about a dozen guys folding it and unfolding it while shooting.

It might be the first time that an optic mount had made me consider buying the gun as an accessory.

Posts: 451 | Location: Hatboro, PA | Registered: May 25, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of wallacemf
posted Hide Post
I've been looking for a Sub-2000 for my wife, that takes the S&W 5906 magazines. It seems that Keltec has stopped making them. If anyone runs across one or has one they want to sell, let me know. I guess I should post a WTB in the classified section. Smile

Posts: 377 | Registered: December 26, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Get my pies
outta the oven!

Picture of PASig
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by wallacemf:
I've been looking for a Sub-2000 for my wife, that takes the S&W 5906 magazines. It seems that Keltec has stopped making them. If anyone runs across one or has one they want to sell, let me know. I guess I should post a WTB in the classified section. Smile

KT really seems to be focusing on the Glock magazine version these days with some Beretta and SIG versions being produced as well but I have yet to see a S&W magazine version.

If you were REALLY set on having a S&W magazine version, what you can do is buy a Gen 2 Sub2K say in Beretta mag version and then convert it to the S&W magazine version. The receiver is actually marked "Multimag" and all you would need to do is change out the Beretta magazine catch to the S&W one, part info here:

https://www.keltecweapons.com/...05sw59-mag-catch-kit

Do NOT purchase a Glock magazine version as the grip is specifically marked "Glock" and NOT "Multimag" and is not compatible to the other mags.