SIGforum
The More Things Change......Home Defense 2003.

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/630601935/m/1110024474

September 10, 2020, 01:12 PM
cslinger
The More Things Change......Home Defense 2003.
So I was going through some pictures and I came across one I had labeled home guardians. It was taken around 2003/2004. I chucked because all I thought was "The More Things Change..."

So what will you find in the ready five position guarding hearth and home in late 2020 at the "stead"? Why the same....

Bushmaster AR15, albeit with a Rodgers stock, Magpul grip, Mini Acog and Surefire light out front.

Remington 870 Marine Magnum, albeit with a Magpul foregrip, Surefire Scout Light and a side saddle.

And although I have had a few handguns riding bedside over the years, although not a SIG P220 its still a hammer fired DA/SA just of the HK variety. Still have and shoot that P220 though.

I have lots of choices and have experience with a TON of guns over the years and I find it funny that I somehow, almost subconsciously, have been basically riding the same setup for going on 20 years for the bump in the night stuff.

No reason for posting other then I found it interesting that in today's high speed low drag internet world I am still low speed and high drag at heart. Big Grin. I do imagine I am using better ammo these days though. Smile

As always take care and shoot safe,
Chris

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."
September 10, 2020, 01:24 PM
cslinger
HA! I just noticed a round of low brass bird shot on the sling. Either I ran out of buck back then or missed that back the. Then again if I am 7 rounds of 12 gauge into a fight shits gone far more wrong then a missing round of 00. Smile

September 10, 2020, 01:25 PM
Sig209
looks good to me

-------------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.
September 10, 2020, 01:39 PM
lyman
had a similar brake on my M16 at one time,
one a 10.5" barrel,

do not fire from the hip, with your arm near the FSB, it will burn the hair off your arm,

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

September 10, 2020, 01:44 PM
Slippery Pete
Had that same bushy. Thought I was so cool with that ak style brake. I wish I still had it. Was a good gun and I don't mind a fixed carry handle carbine laying around. I may or may not have put a collapsible stock on before the sunset. That thing went everywhere with me. Traded up eventually, but that brings back memories.

And yeah for my money it's tough to beat a basic M4 type for a home/ property bodyguard. 220 carry dark elite with a TLR-1 has been in my room ready at night for a long time. I've recently swapped for a M17 but I go back and forth.

Hard to beat the basics in terms of practicality.

------------------------------
http://defendersoffreedom.us/
September 10, 2020, 02:13 PM
cslinger
What’s funny is I have the high speed low drag AR
, flat top, keymod (don’t judge me!!! Smile) raptor charging handle blah blah. I have a semi auto Beretta shotty, rifle sights etc. I have a striker pistol or six. Yet here I am all comfy in my low speed high drag comfort zone. Smile

The AK brake is not that loud comparatively speaking and does a decent job taming the ferocious recoil. Roll Eyes Ok I just really dig the looks. Sue me. Frown

September 10, 2020, 02:27 PM
apprentice
Have kept an 870 express handy in a gun locker ready with buckshot and a Glock something or other as bedside defense since the late 1980s.

Carbines have come and gone, and come back again, but those two aforementioned boxes have always been checked.
September 10, 2020, 09:40 PM
Scooter123
I'm another who keeps an 870 at the ready. Note, my choice of load is either #1 or #8 buck. I'll also note that a target load of 1 ounce of # 7.5 loaded to 1320 fps can be just as lethal as Buck at distances of 30 feet or less. So don't worry about that bird load on your sling unless you have a home the size of a large warehouse.

BTW, my HD AR is a home built in 300 BLK with a 16 inch barrel and loaded with handloads featuring 125 grain Nosler Ballistic tips.

I've stopped counting.
September 10, 2020, 09:55 PM
cslinger
That bird load was probably shot 15 years ago. Smile.

That is an OLD picture. I should take another similar one for the “today” comparison.