SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I'm sitting here cradling my free AR-15.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm sitting here cradling my free AR-15. Login/Join 
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by darthfuster:
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Cool rifle.

I'd like to see a pic of the other side of the upper if you don't mind snapping one. Curious to see if it is an A1 or a C7.

Not the first time I have heard of a primer getting into a gas key.

I have personally seen one wind up in the cam pin slot and it locked that rifle up tight.

That mil spec ammo has crimped primers for a reason. It is loaded hot!

Nice rifle. Smile

That is a C7 upper receiver. It has the Brunton bump shell deflector that is absent on the Colt 603 era M16A1.

I really like A1 style rear sights. Simple and solid, not easily moved off of zero.

The A2 was a solution for Highpower matches that got put on a fighting rifle. They are quite robust in their own right, but not like the A1.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
That upper looks like an A2 with regards to the barrel, handguards, etc. With the exception of the A1 upper.

I bet it will be a very sweet shooter. Rifle length gas system and medium contour barrels generally make for a very pleasant setup.

It looks like you have that adjustable stock set for a long length of pull. You could swap on an A2 if it is a little muzzle heavy, and balance it out a bit. I like a rifle that balances just in front of the mag well.

Of course if you like it how it is, just leave it alone!

A2 stocks are just a shade too long for me to use comfortably. A1 is just right! A2 is a quite a bit heftier than A1 due to the change in the material used to make the stocks.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Indy, for that info. I leave the stock fully extended in the safe so the barrel rests in the scalloped retainer properly. If I put in place with the stock where I like it, the rifle leans over and flops around. One day I'd like to build a retro gun.

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29682 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted Hide Post
Free is good! Nice lookin mutt at that!

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Wait, what?
Picture of gearhounds
posted Hide Post
I'm personally a huge fan of the utilitarian look of the A1 upper. Anyone owning more than one AR platform should have one. They are handy, simple, and classy looking.

“Remember to get vaccinated or a vaccinated person might get sick from a virus they got vaccinated against because you’re not vaccinated.” - author unknown

Posts: 15555 | Location: Martinsburg WV | Registered: April 02, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Free guns are the best. A few years ago I had a bright idea so my friends and I pooled our spare parts and built a 20" A4-style AR as a birthday gift for an old Marine buddy who couldn’t afford one on his own (this was back post-Newtown). All he had to come up with was the stripped lower and we were able to put everything else together for him.

Laughing in the face of danger is all well and good until danger laughs back.

Posts: 496 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: July 08, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ersatzknarf
posted Hide Post
well done, brother Smile

Posts: 4917 | Registered: June 06, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
Free gun?

Sounds like a reject.

That being the case you can reject to me, I'll even pay shipping!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5706 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post