SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I'm sitting here cradling my free AR-15.
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm sitting here cradling my free AR-15. Login/Join 
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted
It's a Franken-rifle, really. This is the accumulation of unwanted parts I swapped out for friends from their guns. These are from the tub of misfit parts; an A2 upper, a blemished lower, a rejected Rodgers stock, damaged bolt carrier (repaired), a too long barrel, frumpy milspec hand guards, etc. Whist digging through looking for something else, I noticed that I had everything I needed, save a couple of gas key screws, to put a rifle together. This is years in the making as I'm not a gunsmith - just handy and resourceful. So I sat down tonight and threw a gun together. It's a Franken-rifle, but it was free.

Tangentially, the malfunctioning bolt carrier turned out to be a plugged up gas key. It was plugged up with a primer perfectly jammed into the key such that I could look down the tube and see the circumference of the cup and the anvil. How in the heck did that happen? What are the chances? Anyway, had a new gas key in my parts bin, but no screws. Will try to get some real grade 8 cap screws tomorrow.

Hey, free rifle, man...

You’re a lying dog-faced pony soldier

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
We need pics of the free frankenbuild, man! Big Grin

I'm currently doing something similar for my son. It's not quite free, but I had a bunch of parts lying around, and I scored an Anderson lower for $33. I'll have less than $250 in it by the time it's all said and done. I just ordered a barrel and BCG this evening, so hopefully it all gets here in time for his birthday at the end of the week so we can put it together and go shoot it.

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Frangas non Flectes
Picture of P220 Smudge
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 92fstech:
We need pics of the free frankenbuild, man! Big Grin

Indeed.
Freedom hasn’t happened in this case unless there are pics. Big Grin

Posts: 17114 | Location: Sonoran Desert | Registered: February 10, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Yes, pics pending. Sometime today...Big Grin

Posts: 29684 | Location: Highland, Ut. | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Oopsie! Huge pics alert.... hang on. Editing.

delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
looks good to me,

now add ammo and range time,

btw,, that is an A1 upper

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10420 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sauer Kraut
posted Hide Post
Nice. I’ve got the parts around for a least 1 rifle. Maybe 2 Big Grin

Good job getting yours put together. Like you said “free rifle!”

Posts: 728 | Location: Middle (of nowhere) Georgia  | Registered: December 04, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
looks good to me,

now add ammo and range time,

btw,, that is an A1 upper

Oops....I stand corrected. Either way it wasn't sexy enough for the previous owner. I swapped in a railed upper. He bought his rifle during the second panic after Sandy Hook. Pickings were slim and costly. Smile The Colt lower came from buddy that didn't want the sear block machined into it. I built him a Spikes Crusader lower and upgraded his stock to a UBR. All parts he paid for.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Perfect loaner rifle.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
It's simple math. Colt lower + A1 upper = cool. I've heard of a primer popping out and plugging the gas key. Turns a semi-auto into a manual bolt action.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
Cool rifle.

I'd like to see a pic of the other side of the upper if you don't mind snapping one. Curious to see if it is an A1 or a C7.

Not the first time I have heard of a primer getting into a gas key.

I have personally seen one wind up in the cam pin slot and it locked that rifle up tight.

That mil spec ammo has crimped primers for a reason. It is loaded hot!

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
Sure. When I get a moment.

Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
That sure is a sweet rifle...especially for free! Colt lower too....nothing but the best! Big Grin

Posts: 8545 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
That is awesome.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
super cool, Brother!

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
Cool rifle.

I'd like to see a pic of the other side of the upper if you don't mind snapping one. Curious to see if it is an A1 or a C7.

Not the first time I have heard of a primer getting into a gas key.

I have personally seen one wind up in the cam pin slot and it locked that rifle up tight.

That mil spec ammo has crimped primers for a reason. It is loaded hot!

The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
I like it! Free is the right price, but invest just a bit and get an A1 stock. That and some old-school hand guards with a flat trigger housing and a different flash hider would change that rifle from a franken-AR to a pretty decent looking A1 clone.

But if you want to keep it as is because free is free, I can respect that too!

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Joy Maker
Picture of airsoft guy
posted Hide Post
I like the cobbled together look, especially the longer barrel with the collapsible stock.

quote:
Originally posted by Will938:
If you don't become a screen writer for comedy movies, then you're an asshole.

Posts: 17003 | Location: Washington State | Registered: April 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
delicately calloused
Picture of darthfuster
posted Hide Post
I think that's what makes it so attractive to me. It is a mutt. A loyal mutt. Smile