SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a 553 pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a 553 pistol Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I agree with PGT again. If it's a diopter gun, use those sweet sights. If you can't shoot well with irons, then that's a damn fine set to get better with.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
quote:
The SwissArms mlok handguard sucks. A friend has one on his 553. It does not lock up tightly and has a significant amount of play.

That is good to know. I hate rattle. I'm not sure about the quad rails? I think the quad rails look pretty good but I kind of like the feel of the thin plastic hand guard.

The quad rails lock up tightly. The SwissArms mlok handguard is a totally different design that requires spring tension.

quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

I swapped everything to MLOK rails including my PWS Mk107 SBR. Much better.

B&T makes an MLOK rail for the 550...which they had one for the 553 and 551, I'd try it. My comment was specifically about the quad rails.

This is the only thing close to a quad rail I have left; it's a factory quad rail, shaved down for smooth sides. I ended up cutting the single piece top rail so I can keep the diopter setup and put the three hole Swiss handguard on that's painted to match.

A lighter weight mlok 552/553 and 551 handguard that locks up tight would be great. I also prefer MLOK. Most of my ARs now wear Geissele mk8 and mk16 rails, though I do still have some KAC RAS and RAS2 and DD RIS2.

I like what you did with the 556 railed fore end.

quote:
Problem on these is they're already front-heavy...add a quad rail and it's more still.

Also...owning both railed and diopter 553's, reco is irons only on the diopter model and of course an optic on the railed one. I put a B&T optic rail and Aimpoint Micro on my diopter gun and it's just too crowded visually (for me).

I completely agree re: red dot on a diopter model. Way too cluttered for me. I keep my diopters iron sight only.

Oh and I agree re: the FNC. It’s too heavy to kit up. Although I do have a Swedish AK5C handguard, spare Green Mountain barrel, and AK5C gasblock to one day do a swap. As of now it wears an AK5a handguard.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Accomplice
posted Hide Post
I cheaped out and went with the P556 with CNC Warrior brace (though I’m probably going to part with it soon or trade for two ARX100s).

Roswell Crash - July, 1947, CIA Formed - Sept, 1947

Posts: 1948 | Registered: September 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Received the grey/green/diopter/railed 553-SB I ordered last year. It has a KW marked barrel and interestingly a different flash hider than the normal three-prong 553 style.

These are painted with an ilfalon ceramic coating on top (gives it the light shine and chemical resistance).

Posts: 3089 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
PGT, was this a custom build or part of a larger group order? Didn't know the welded rail and diopters was possible until recently.

Its a gorgeous gun. I am so happy to own a 553 SB. Now i am waiting on my 553 LB and my unfinished sig 550...

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
It was a small run JDI announced last year. I missed the 552 run so this is kind of close.

posted Hide Post
You guys think I could cerakote the furniture to green from Black?

Also:

I installed a Dead Air QD suppressor and shot it with a Sandman L installed. 100 yards with the stock sights on a gong, right out of the box. CLANG, CLANG, CLANG.

I get the comments about heat, 60 rounds of slow fire resulted in significant heat build up. I will still stick with the stock hand guard as the look is fantastic.

Wanted this forever, great firearm.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:

Not successfully, if you're talking about a Swiss stock as well. I'd recommend just getting the proper furniture set in the color you want.

Posts: 2150 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:

Not successfully, if you're talking about a Swiss stock as well. I'd recommend just getting the proper furniture set in the color you want.

is that JDI? or is there somewhere else.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2506 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
JDI, gunfactory.ch, or GB.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Do you need just the handguard and grip? I have other 553’s and wouldn’t mind trading my black for green

posted Hide Post
I want to go from black to green.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
gunfactory.ch will hook you up. Not too expensive and they have stuff in stock. Ping them on email...Rolf is fluent in English so easy to work with though you'll need to get creative on payment method (since Paypal shut him off). [I split my CC info between email and WhatsApp to keep it secure].

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KSGM:
quote:

I was told the stock and handguard are pretty waxy and they have trouble holding paint.

Posts: 7724 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:

I was told the stock and handguard are pretty waxy and they have trouble holding paint.

I was thinking more about how you can't disassemble the stock.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
can confirm...I put Swiss furniture on my ambi 556 for an alpenflage six color camo and the shop was unable to do it. They were able to do a simpler winter camo pattern though but it took two tries. As it wears, the green of the original Swiss stuff will come through below.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Received the grey/green/diopter/railed 553-SB I ordered last year. It has a KW marked barrel and interestingly a different flash hider than the normal three-prong 553 style.

These are painted with an ilfalon ceramic coating on top (gives it the light shine and chemical resistance).

Beautiful.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2318 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Yes, Dave sent me tracking data. My 553 long barrel will be here here on Monday!