SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Bought a 553 pistol
Page 1 2 3 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bought a 553 pistol Login/Join 
posted Hide Post
I have ordered the following

1. Stock (for the approved form 1)

2. A four position gas plug

3. The B/T rail (which should
Allow me to keep the sights)

The awful realization that I also want a 552 commando. Which just ain’t happening.

I hear you on the railed forearm. I will see how it goes for a bit. I’m not a huge fan.

Excited.

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
JDI also has an MLOK handguard that would help keep the gun cooler when shooting I would think. They have it in black and dark sig gray.

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Shackelford
posted Hide Post
Does that B&T rail just bolt right on? No welding of receivers?

Posts: 831 | Location: Volunteer | Registered: January 16, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by leonidas211:
3. The B/T rail (which should
Allow me to keep the sights)

I would be interested in seeing the B&T rail from all angles, if you can provide pics when you get it.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
B&t rail is a removable rail.

Here are some photos of a knockoff rail.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: gw3971,

Posts: 7721 | Location: West Jordan, Utah | Registered: June 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I have one I had to cut off...the pin that extends to the sight base was seized (set screw was removed so not that). I wish there was an easy way to salvage it

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Alright. Progress

1. BT rail installed.

2. Does this front sight fold?

3. Form 1 filed Smile

NRA Training Counselor
NRA Benefactor Member

Posts: 2505 | Location: FL | Registered: May 07, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
Doesn't look like it folds. Might just be the classic hooded front sight.

Got my BT rail today as well.

Form 1's been taking 25-45 days. Good luck!

what optic you gonna put on it? Its gonna be a sweet rifle!!

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
If you have a front hooded sight and want a folding one, MFI makes one. I just received one in yesterday and it looks to be a quality part.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gw3971:
JDI also has an MLOK handguard that would help keep the gun cooler when shooting I would think. They have it in black and dark sig gray.

The SwissArms mlok handguard sucks. A friend has one on his 553. It does not lock up tightly and has a significant amount of play.

I’m very surprised by my fellow 552/553 shooters who don’t feel the quad rail is necessary. I prefer the Arisaka Defense hand stop or a stubby VFGs which I use like a hand stop. When shooting one of my 552s (which currently lack the quad rail) and comparing to my 553 which has a quad rail, there is no contest that the quad rail wins. I have two more of them on the way for my two 552s.

---------------------------------------------
"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
I hate quad rails. I've swapped out every one in my collection or sold off guns that only come with a quad rail. Heavy, uncomfortable and a bit silly on a 9" barrel gun

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
I hate quad rails. I've swapped out every one in my collection or sold off guns that only come with a quad rail. Heavy, uncomfortable and a bit silly on a 9" barrel gun

Different strokes for different folks. Out of curiosity, have you tried a 552/553 with the aluminum railed fore end?

I prefer the current crop of (high end) mlok fore ends for my rifles. But I still also have some with 1913 rails. I feel a railed (blanket term to include 1913, keymod, mlok options)
fore end has utility regardless of barrel length for heat dispersion and accessory mounting. I have some type of aluminum fore end with accessory mounting capabilities on almost every short barreled long gun I own, be it ARs, SCAR, MP5, 552/553. I don’t kit up my PE90 or my 551s because the b&t quad rail is too heavy for them and I like the classic aesthetics.

"AND YEA THOUGH THE HINDUS SPEAK OF KARMA, I IMPLORE YOU...GIVE HER A BREAK, LORD". - Clark W. Griswald

Posts: 2314 | Location: The South | Registered: September 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't look like it folds. Might just be the classic hooded front sight.

Got my BT rail today as well.

Form 1's been taking 25-45 days. Good luck!

what optic you gonna put on it? Its gonna be a sweet rifle!!

Why would you want a folding front sight when you have a fixed rear diopter?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC: Why would you want a folding front sight when you have a fixed rear diopter?

Good point. This thread is getting confusing!

I am 100% with PGT, where the rails are concerned though. I am, however, not going to debate, as it really is a preference thing. I have a rail for mine, and it just sits in the parts drawer now. I am fairly confident PGT has used rails on the 553 before.

Another downer about the rails on the 553 is accessory mounting can be problematic, as most accessories are based on the AR platform. A good example is an aiming laser unit; you can't put it on the top, if you want to maintain your low sight plane, so it needs to go on the side, and then may conflict with a light or other piece.

Posts: 2087 | Location: Northeast GA | Registered: February 15, 2021Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by JoshNC:
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:

Different strokes for different folks. Out of curiosity, have you tried a 552/553 with the aluminum railed fore end?

I prefer the current crop of (high end) mlok fore ends for my rifles. But I still also have some with 1913 rails. I feel a railed (blanket term to include 1913, keymod, mlok options)
fore end has utility regardless of barrel length for heat dispersion and accessory mounting. I have some type of aluminum fore end with accessory mounting capabilities on almost every short barreled long gun I own, be it ARs, SCAR, MP5, 552/553. I don’t kit up my PE90 or my 551s because the b&t quad rail is too heavy for them and I like the classic aesthetics.

I swapped everything to MLOK rails including my PWS Mk107 SBR. Much better.

B&T makes an MLOK rail for the 550...which they had one for the 553 and 551, I'd try it. My comment was specifically about the quad rails.

This is the only thing close to a quad rail I have left; it's a factory quad rail, shaved down for smooth sides. I ended up cutting the single piece top rail so I can keep the diopter setup and put the three hole Swiss handguard on that's painted to match.

posted Hide Post
Another preference point for me, is that I prefer quads to m-lok, if I am going to use a rail-type handguard. The plot thickens!

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
The SwissArms mlok handguard sucks. A friend has one on his 553. It does not lock up tightly and has a significant amount of play.

That is good to know. I hate rattle. I'm not sure about the quad rails? I think the quad rails look pretty good but I kind of like the feel of the thin plastic hand guard.

hello darkness
my old friend
Picture of gw3971
posted Hide Post
quote:
another downer about the rails on the 553 is accessory mounting can be problematic, as most accessories are based on the AR platform. A good example is an aiming laser unit; you can't put it on the top, if you want to maintain your low sight plane, so it needs to go on the side, and then may conflict with a light or other piece.

Doesn't B&T make a long top rail that mounts with the dove tail to accommodate those needing more front rail space?

posted Hide Post
quote:
Doesn't B&T make a long top rail that mounts with the dove tail to accommodate those needing more front rail space?

Yes, but that would make it even worse. That rail sits higher than a quad rail top rail.

Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Problem on these is they're already front-heavy...add a quad rail and it's more still.

Also...owning both railed and diopter 553's, reco is irons only on the diopter model and of course an optic on the railed one. I put a B&T optic rail and Aimpoint Micro on my diopter gun and it's just too crowded visually (for me).