SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question for moving aerial target shooters (hunters, trap, skeet):
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question for moving aerial target shooters (hunters, trap, skeet): Login/Join 
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Thanks again to everyone who responded. As I say, the replies weren’t unexpected, but I appreciate the confirmation.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47394 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The ONLY time I've found an Ambush shot to work for was in Sporting Clays when the bird is coming at you. With this type of throw there is a moment near the end of the flight where from the shooters perspective it appear to high in one spot. Note it's actually falling at an inclination directly towards the shooter which make it appear to just hang in the air when in fact it's falling directly towards the shooter.

Any other time an Ambush shot is a guaranteed Miss for me. What works best for me is to "chase down" the clay and fire when sweeping through the point of aim. After firing if I'm doing it right I follow through for a half second or more.

BTW, I'm still a newby who's best is 19 out of 25. However I get a tiny bit better every weekend and it's so much fun that I've picked up some used 20 and 12 gage MEC 600 JR. reloading presses and am stocking up on #8 Shot.

I've stopped counting.

Posts: 5642 | Location: Michigan | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post