SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I'm about done with Hegmags
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm about done with Hegmags Login/Join 
Stangosaurus Rex
Picture of Tommydogg
posted
They are about the most finicky things. Some wont lock into some rifles unless tje bolt is back, some have failure to feed intermittantly. They are clean inside and out. I just don't want to grab one in an emergency. Pmags work fine in all my weapons. Anybody else have problems with them?

Beth Greene

Posts: 7841 | Location: South Florida | Registered: January 09, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
There have always been plenty of people trying to cash in on the polymer mag craze. I have found P-Mag and Lancer to be the only two to do so with any degree of success.

Had issues with Hex, MFT, and Ther-mold(sp?).

In the end, whatever savings there might be aren't worth the dollar or two I'd save.

For myself; USGI, P-Mag, Lancer - in that order.

Posts: 10740 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
I only use Okay magazines, no issues.

Posts: 9955 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few of the Hexmag magazines, I got them super cheap so I figured that I would give them a try.

So far they have worked fine, go in and drop out of all my AR 15's (well Don't know about that with my three National Match Service Rifles, I never tried these magazines in them), but in all four of my carbines and two rifles they work just fine.

I have both Gen I and Gen II versions of them. I'm not saying that I would replace my MagPul magazines or my most favorite Lancer L5 AWM magazines, but I would pick them up if cheap enough.

I have olive drab and FDE I use for 5.56X45mm and black and grey i use for .300 AAC Blackout, in both calibers no problems with feeding.

ARman

Posts: 3151 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
My go-tos are Lancer L5 AWM, and USGIs with anti-tilt followers (either the new Center sandy followers or Magpul).

I keep Troys, Daniel Defense, Pmags, around for testing purposes.

I also have a bunch of HK416 mags which have been very reliable but heavy as heck. I wouldn't buy more unless I found them at a screaming deal, but I have no reason to sell the ones I have.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Hegmags

Glad I never started.

NHMTG, Surefeed, PMAGs, a couple of FM OEM AR15 Metal mags.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I stock up on Lancers when they go on sale. A few here and there add up.

Posts: 10052 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I'm with LDD & Excam_Man: Lancer L5 AWMs. I like the translucent smoke ones best.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
sick puppy
posted Hide Post
i have almost exclusively used Pmags. I got one MFT mag and it failed before I got to shoot it. I was told early on to never use Hexmags, so I haven't. I do have a few Okay mags, and love them, too. Used to have more, but gave some to friends and family as they got into guns. I'm happy with my Pmags, but would love to get more Lancer's.

Posts: 7546 | Location: Alpine, Ut | Registered: February 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Tommydogg:
Hegmags

Well, there's your problem right there! If you had been using genuine Hexmags, you may not have had those issues.

But when you buy some Hegmags from Roscoe down on the corner, who also sells genuine Folex watches and Oaekley sunglasses out of his trenchcoat, the quality is guaranteed to be questionable.

(Seriously, though... I've never bothered with Hexmags. When it comes to polymer AR mags, I prefer Lancers, but also have plenty of PMAGs.)

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PorterN:
i have almost exclusively used Pmags. I got one MFT mag and it failed before I got to shoot it. I was told early on to never use Hexmags, so I haven't. I do have a few Okay mags, and love them, too. Used to have more, but gave some to friends and family as they got into guns. I'm happy with my Pmags, but would love to get more Lancer's.

I have 3 Lancer AWM and I dislike how slick they can be on reloads. PMAGs (especially M3s) are much easier for me to seat securely in the weapon on a reload, especially a full 30 on a closed bolt. M3s are easier to keep a solid grip on and seat far easier for me.

Tons of people love them and I'm sure its just my issue, but I'm not a huge fan.

With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I use the DD 32 rounders and LAncers for primaries......pmags I have stacked pretty deep.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have come to view magazines -- especially those for ARs -- as disposable items. When mags fail to work as intended, I throw them away. Should mags from a given company tend to be a problem, I would no longer use their products and dump my inventory.

Posts: 7867 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Brownell's has the grey translucent 30 round Lancer mags on sale for $139.99 for ten...free shipping with code M7R...

https://www.brownells.com/maga...30-rd-prod95203.aspx

I like Lancers for polymer mags with the Magpuls a close second...I've also stocked up on the Okay magazines, especially the 20 rounders, from 44mag.com when they were on sale w/ free shipping...

I have used Hexmags and another brand, Ammendment 2 I think, but I never bought any for whatever reason...I was satisfied with the others.

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10584 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Bisleyblackhawk:
Brownell's has the grey translucent 30 round Lancer mags on sale for $139.99 for ten...free shipping with code M7R...

https://www.brownells.com/maga...30-rd-prod95203.aspx

That's a pretty good deal, especially since the translucent Smoke mags are typically more expensive than the various opaque colors.

If you qualify for their LE or Mil discount, DSG Arms sells Lancers for as low as $10.93. They're usually the best deal around.

Posts: 32490 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think the general consensus seems to be that the mags that work are GI mags, P-Mags, Lancers and H&K mags.

With some of the others I think the money you spend testing them out ends up costing more than the dollar or two you might save by buying one of the more proven brands.

Also might be worth mentioning that GI and H&K mags are the ONLY ones that work in every gun I own, FS2000's won't work with Pmags for example..............dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of TRshootem
posted Hide Post
I have more than one of the earlier Lancer 20 rounders that do not quite seat and latch up correctly. The bolt will just miss picking up a round. They are the only mags to do this in several lowers. Magpul and G.I. have been my go to for some time. I have not tried any recent production Lancers. Many folks swear by thr Lancer, guess I will try some more recent samples.

Posts: 1320 | Location: Montana | Registered: October 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

So you're saying they're ok? Big Grin

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SgtGold:
quote:
Originally posted by Voshterkoff:

So you're saying they're ok? Big Grin

A-Ok Wink

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by TRshootem:
I have more than one of the earlier Lancer 20 rounders that do not quite seat and latch up correctly. The bolt will just miss picking up a round. They are the only mags to do this in several lowers.
Pretty much the problem I have occasionally with my 3 Lancers. It has made me more deliberate at tugging on the magazine during reloads to ensure they are snug. Annoying but I only use them for training since I traded into them. PMAGs and GI Mags for serious use only here.