SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Hi, I’m Asksmith, and I’m an (M1 Garand) addict
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hi, I’m Asksmith, and I’m an (M1 Garand) addict Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
What started off as a simple purchase of an M1 Garand through CMP has become an obsession. I now own two. A 1944 with all Springfield parts, that is classified as a Service Grade, and a 1940 Field Grade with all Springfield parts.

The 1944 is in beautiful shape. Other then a few nicks and dings in the wood, all the metal parts are in excellent condition. The 1940 is what an M1 Garand should look like. It definitely has some stories to tell, given the shape it is in. I had originally planned on selling it when I bought the service grade, but this will be a shooter. I have two sons, so they each will eventually own one.

Picked up 280rds of milsurp ammo in enblocs and a can for cheap. No range report, but that will happen shortly.

https://ibb.co/YRWNnqr
https://ibb.co/0sjpHdn

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
only 2?

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Lyman, I had to talk myself out of buying a very pristine Springfield 1903 Mark 1 in beautiful shape. Had matching arsenal numbers on the stock, bolt, and barrel. Tapped for the Pederson device, and manufacture date of 1920.

My wife really hasn’t complained much about my recent acquisitions. I’m not sure why?

Honestly, these are the first “fun guns” I have ever bought. I don’t have a need for them, just always loved the beauty and history of them. Eventually they will be mounted on the wall.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Nothing wrong with that. Garands are my favorite rifles to shoot.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My brother for years has been the ultimate garand addict, have as many as 30 of them at one time. Same with carbines.
He collected examples of every maker and marking variation, plus multiple examples of sniper and match and navy 7,62 variants and more.

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Lyman, I had to talk myself out of buying a very pristine Springfield 1903 Mark 1 in beautiful shape. Had matching arsenal numbers on the stock, bolt, and barrel. Tapped for the Pederson device, and manufacture date of 1920.

My wife really hasn’t complained much about my recent acquisitions. I’m not sure why?

Honestly, these are the first “fun guns” I have ever bought. I don’t have a need for them, just always loved the beauty and history of them. Eventually they will be mounted on the wall.

matching arsenal numbers?

huh?

did it have the correct cut off and sear?

Posts: 10409 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SevenPlusOne
posted Hide Post
It's the best rifle, for killn' Commies, Nazis, Japs, and for telln' Hmong thugs to get off your lawn.

"Ninja kick the damn rabbit"

Posts: 4611 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: October 11, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SevenPlusOne:
It's the best rifle, for killn' Commies, Nazis, Japs, and for telln' Hmong thugs to get off your lawn.

yup!!!

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Lyman, forgive my ignorance, I’m new to this era of weaponry. I guess an arsenal number could also be called a rack number. If you’ve ever cleaned a bunch of weapons at once, you don’t want parts and pieces getting intermingled with other firearms. It may have been a serial number, and given the date of the rifle, it looked like it was done by hand. The stock, bolt and barrel all had matching numbers. I know little to nothing about 1903’s, but I’m still learning.

Not sure about the cut out and sear, I’ve only heard about the Pederson device on internet folklore. I do know they are rare, and can fetch a healthy sum.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Lyman, forgive my ignorance, I’m new to this era of weaponry. I guess an arsenal number could also be called a rack number. If you’ve ever cleaned a bunch of weapons at once, you don’t want parts and pieces getting intermingled with other firearms. It may have been a serial number, and given the date of the rifle, it looked like it was done by hand. The stock, bolt and barrel all had matching numbers. I know little to nothing about 1903’s, but I’m still learning.

Not sure about the cut out and sear, I’ve only heard about the Pederson device on internet folklore. I do know they are rare, and can fetch a healthy sum.

no worries,

generally speaking, there is only one serial numnber on US firearms,

on the receiver,

(ETA, a lot of folks confuse Drawing numbers for matching number, on the parts)

if there is a serial (hopefully matching) on the bolt or other parts, it was likely loaned to another country and returned (lend lease) or imported,

I say likely, because that is always an exception (example, match rifle will generally have a serial etched on the bolts)

if that 03 you looked at had a B stamped on the mag floorplate, it was likely a greek return,

either way, 03's are a great rifle to have,

however, be careful,

since you have 2 Garands, you will need a Carbine, and a 1903 and a 1903A3 and a M1917 and a Krag and a Krag carbine, and a............. Wink

Picture of m1009
posted Hide Post
Congrats! I’m a bit of a Garand aficionado myself. Of course, the carbines also call to me.... Big Grin

Posts: 1124 | Registered: September 27, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ignore Lyman. You don't need 2 of everything. You actually need 3 of everything Cool

Ok, maybe that is me with my 3 Garands, carbines, 1917's, 91-30's...ok, maybe I have a problem.

Seriously, have fun going down the rabbit hole of collecting milsurps.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
no worries,

on the receiver,

if there is a serial (hopefully matching) on the bolt or other parts, it was likely loaned to another country and returned (lend lease) or imported,

I say likely, because that is always an exception (example, match rifle will generally have a serial etched on the bolts)

Lyman, on my brother in law’s 1903, the serial number is on the receiver, and the last 4 digits were scribed on the bolt, and on the right hand side of the stock towards the butt. I just found it interesting. Maybe it was all original, or at least had been kept together since they put the numbers on them. It was manufactured in 1920, and being a 100y/o rifle, it is in beautiful shape. I just haven’t gotten into bolt guns, yet...

After spending the day cleaning the Garands, as well as an M4 and AK, it’s interesting to see the advancement of battle weapons over the last century.

I have family in Chester, next time I’m down that way, I’d love to stop in and introduce myself.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Some National Match M1903s had additional serial numbers applied. Some WW2-era USMC-used rifles had additional serial numbers applied. And some foreign-used rifles had additional numbers applied. (Most commonly seen on Greek-returned M1903s sold through the CMP.)

But most M1903s won't have the bolt or stock numbered to the rifle. The serial is generally only on the receiver.

Posts: 32421 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by lyman:
no worries,

on the receiver,

Lyman, on my brother in law’s 1903, the serial number is on the receiver, and the last 4 digits were scribed on the bolt, and on the right hand side of the stock towards the butt. I just found it interesting. Maybe it was all original, or at least had been kept together since they put the numbers on them. It was manufactured in 1920, and being a 100y/o rifle, it is in beautiful shape. I just haven’t gotten into bolt guns, yet...

After spending the day cleaning the Garands, as well as an M4 and AK, it’s interesting to see the advancement of battle weapons over the last century.

I have family in Chester, next time I’m down that way, I’d love to stop in and introduce myself.

shoot me an email next time you are in the area, would love to meet up,

sounds like a Greek Return on the 03 , if you get a chance, look for a B on the mag floorplate , (another common Greek trait)

one thing to remember, regarding the various weapon systems,

the garand was adopted just prior to WW2, and modified a bit during and after,

the AK was just after WW2 and the M4, based on the AR-15 was developed in the mid/late 50's,

a lot of stuff happened post WW2 that we still used (modified of course) today

Picture of Captain Morgan
posted Hide Post
I believe someone on sigforum also recommended Garandgears ported gas plug. So you can shoot hitter loads without harming the rifle.
I have yet to get one. They also have a lot of clips, so does Sportsmans guide.

Let all Men know thee, but no man know thee thoroughly: Men freely ford that see the shallows.
Benjamin Franklin

Posts: 3857 | Location: Sparta, NJ USA | Registered: August 16, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Love Garands! Here's my one and only...

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Captain Morgan:
I believe someone on sigforum also recommended Garandgears ported gas plug. So you can shoot hitter loads without harming the rifle.
I have yet to get one. They also have a lot of clips, so does Sportsmans guide.

leave the gun original, lube it correctly, and shoot what it was meant to shoot,

M2 ball is out there, and easy to reload,

Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
shot a Service Rifle Match last July,

same rifle I last competed with in 2002,,

shot like poo, (me, not the garand) but had fun, despite the heat\humidity,

edit, trying to get pic to load correctly

Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
I’m down to 4. One each Winchester, H&R, IH, and Springfield. The Springfield is a Korean era M1C.

I was up to eight at one time. Ammo, 4 or 5 thousand rounds. Can never have enough!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post