SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Lowest profile red dot for shotgun?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lowest profile red dot for shotgun? Login/Join 
Festina Lente
Picture of feersum dreadnaught
posted
So - I tried out a DeltaPointPro on my SLP Mk1. With the mount, it puts the dot about 1” higher than the bead. So would take a significant cheek piece to get a good cheek weld.

So - what is the lowest profile red dot? Looks like something like the Vortex Crossfire with the low mount or Sig Romeo 4 with similar low mount would be lower.

Any other suggestions? Thanks

NRA Life Member - "Fear God and Dreadnaught"

Posts: 8295 | Location: in the red zone of the blue state, CT | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint Micro or Primary Arms red dot is gonna be about the lowest. An RMR would work too if you want a reflex

Posts: 3079 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of redlickranch
posted Hide Post
I put an Eotech on my 11/87 and it is way too high for me. Also looking for something smaller.

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1047 | Location: Bluegrass State GO CARDS!!! | Registered: July 31, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
When the CG transitioned from the standard 18” barrel riot shotugun(Rem870)...to the Remington 870 with a 14” barrel we put Trijicon ACOG sights on them....turns out that the sever recoil of the shotgun was too much for them , and they would be knocked off target after just a few shots.

The qual course was ten rounds of OO buck and ten rounds of slug...most guns wouldn’t hold for the qual course.....

So, when ordering or trying to decide, call the company and see if the sight will handle the recoil of a 12 gauge.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm waiting for my semiauto to come in and will mount a Burris Fastfire 2 on its rail. I've read that they will hold up to shotgun abuse.

Posts: 1752 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: August 08, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Aimpoint Micro or Primary Arms red dot is gonna be about the lowest.

Yep. The fixed base Primary Arms micro dot (Model MD-FBGII) in particular is the lowest red dot I've had experience with. It allows cowitness on some setups that otherwise wouldn't with any other optic, like on my Mini-14 with an Ultimak.

quote:
Originally posted by MikeinNC:
When the CG transitioned from the standard 18” barrel riot shotugun(Rem870)...to the Remington 870 with a 14” barrel we put Trijicon ACOG sights on them....turns out that the sever recoil of the shotgun was too much for them , and they would be knocked off target after just a few shots.

Was it an optic issue (elevation/windage adjustments being knocked off) or a mount issue (mount loosening)?

My first thought would be the mount, considering the factory ACOG mount with the thumb screws isn't the best. There are a number of better aftermarket options. I use a GDI RCOM mount on mine, and it's rock-solid... It would take a lot more than 12 gauge recoil to knock that sucker loose!

But then, I wouldn't try to mount an AR-height ACOG on a shotgun anyway, so... Wink

That doesn't seem like a recipe for success. I mean, there must have been like 6 or 8 inches of offset between the stock's drop comb and the ACOG's eyebox... How did the cheek neck weld work on that setup anyway? Big Grin

(I can just imagine some salty old goat sitting in a Coast Guard armory next to a pile of ACOGs, counting down the minutes to retirement and griping: "Kids these days... They all want optics on their shotguns. Aight, I'll give 'em optics on their shotguns. Just you wait!")

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pcshooter
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Augen:
I'm waiting for my semiauto to come in and will mount a Burris Fastfire 2 on its rail. I've read that they will hold up to shotgun abuse.

I have a Burris Speed Bead on my 870P...and...well:

I guess if you don't let it tip over, you'll be fine, haha.

Posts: 751 | Location: Free State of Utah | Registered: December 14, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
RMR with a Scalarworks SYNC mount

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
With the MK1 you have the wonky rail that's already off the receiver and Weaver not 1913. I'd go with an RMR since I think that is the toughest that you can get lowest to the receiver (if that's what I'm reading as your goal).

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
Aimpoint Micro S1 for shotguns with a ventilated rib.

https://www.aimpoint.com/product/aimpoint-micro-s-1/

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Mistake Not...
Picture of Loswsmith
posted Hide Post
Remember folks tbe SLP is kind of wonky. It has no 1913 rail, its weaver. It has no rib. The Weaver type rail is integral and slightly off the receiver.

SLP Mk1

This is one of the reasons I got rid of mine in favor of the Beretta 1301.

That's why I say RMR with a Weaver mount. But if you are like me you'll need a cheek pad.

Mistake not my current state of joshing gentle peevishness for the awesome and terrible majesty of the towering seas of ire that are themselves the milquetoast shallows fringing my vast oceans of wrath.

Velocitas Incursio Vis - Gandhi

Posts: 1951 | Location: T-town in the 253 | Registered: January 16, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Loswsmith:
Remember folks tbe SLP is kind of wonky. It has no 1913 rail, its weaver. It has no rib. The Weaver type rail is integral and slightly off the receiver.

Ah. I see what you mean.

In that case, I think the OP is going to have a hard time find any optic that mounts to that funky cantilever rail, yet sits low enough for a normal cheek weld.

Posts: 32493 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The RMR has a low weaver option, I don't use it on an slp but on a pistol, but its pretty darn low.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10996 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
quote:
Was it an optic issue (elevation/windage adjustments being knocked off) or a mount issue (mount loosening)?

It was the optic, after three or four happened on day one with the, we loctite the mount. They just weren’t made for the recoil of slugs. Dunno if the company has addressed it or not, since I got out in 2011 and haven’t dealt with them since.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11270 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shall Not Be Infringed
Picture of nhracecraft
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
RMR with a Scalarworks SYNC mount

Man, that is slick! Never thought I'd consider mounting an optic on my Benelli M4....And just like that, now I apparently NEED one! Cool

If Some is Good, and More is Better.....then Too Much, is Just Enough !!
Trump 2024....Save America!
"May Almighty God bless the United States of America" - parabellum 7/26/20
Live Free or Die!

Posts: 8865 | Location: New Hampshire | Registered: October 29, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have an RMR/Scalar on an M2 20ga, M4, and Shockwave. Works great, never had an issue losing zero, can get full cheek weld.

The solution on the Shockwave actually makes it a useful tool.

Posts: 477 | Location: FL | Registered: February 03, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
You can get a low Weaver mount for a Trijicon MRO and it'll work fine. I have one for a Beretta A400 Extreme (Kryptec camo) that I use for turkey hunting. I prefer the green dot option over the red for the MRO.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10194 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by feersum dreadnaught:
So would take a significant cheek piece to get a good cheek weld.

Do they have adjustable / shimable stocks?

Posts: 21097 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post