SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tell me about the Sig 556.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tell me about the Sig 556. Login/Join 
posted
I am intrigued enough to possibly buy one. Any experiences good or bad? All info will be appreciated.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Competent When Sober
Picture of Mad Max
posted Hide Post
wonderful rifle. Heaver than an ar but better stock trigger. Adjustable gas system and takes ar magazines.

Only issue is that Sig no longer makes them. I personally own two.

Oliver Wendell Holmes - "The young man knows the rules, but the old man knows the exceptions."

Posts: 1903 | Location: San Antonio, Texas | Registered: July 24, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
I had a handful of them at one point. For the price I paid they were a great value, under 900.00. I believe when they first came out the were over 2k or close and were competing with SCAR and ACR if I recall.....and people were buying them up.
Im a fan of the 550/55i series and this was about as close as Id ever get to owning one. Never an issue with any of them. Ultimately the weight is what got me down. After getting a LW Daniel Defense rifles the Sig just collected dust.

When Sig released the Xi and it bombed and then the MCX came out I knew the end was near so I liquidated what I had. Now Sig no longer supports them so whatever parts are out there are it. Im not quite sure how Sig would honor the lifetime warranty part of this should one break and they dont have parts. I suspect they may offer a new rifle (MCX) or do what some manufactures have been known to do which is to say the weapon had reached its service life from the companies point of view thus negating the lifetime warranty as technically the rifles production life is over.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thank you for the info. I am really looking at picking up a used one.

Posts: 4028 | Registered: January 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I've got a 551, 552-SBR, 553-SBR, 1st & 2nd gen 556 carbines, 522P-SBR, 556P-SBR and lastly a 556Xi_762-SBR

Needless to say, I'm fond of the 55X line ... I've never had one break, or even wear out springs. However some of the early ones had canted rails/top covers (my 1st gen has is slightly canted) and I seem to remember the 2nd or 3rd gens having a problem with chipping the bolt carrier, but reports were spotty and rare.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Res ipsa loquitur
Picture of BB61
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by WARPIG602:
Now Sig no longer supports them so whatever parts are out there are it. Im not quite sure how Sig would honor the lifetime warranty part of this should one break and they dont have parts. I suspect they may offer a new rifle (MCX) or do what some manufactures have been known to do which is to say the weapon had reached its service life from the companies point of view thus negating the lifetime warranty as technically the rifles production life is over.

That's an interesting point. Considering that a firearm has a lifetime span of decades, it would be interesting to see if they tried that and how the legal system responded if the issue was forced. I would think, however, that springs and the like would be a different matter as they do need regular replacing.

Posts: 12436 | Registered: October 13, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure on the later ones, but I have a pretty good collection of the earlier ones and they came with a one year warranty. Long useless.
That SIG won't even stock simple parts (like springs) is an embarrassment.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10974 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a very early 556 that is around 10 years old. Never had a bit of problems with it. The trigger is quite nice and the rifle really likes heavier bullets. Never noted an issue with rail alignment. I guess this early 556 (sub 1700 serial #) has the Swiss BCG, but I'm no expert on Swiss internals.

I'll probably get a Wolff Spring and whatever spares I can find.

Posts: 2838 | Location: Unass the AO | Registered: December 16, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
Got one of the originals when they came out, you know the ones with the canted rails. Well mine had perfect rails and no other problems. Got rid of the fish gill forearms and sent away to Switzerland for the 552 forearms. Still shoots dead on and I'm still happy with it. It has a place of honor in my safe, I'll never part with it.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: SFCUSARET,

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of PGT
posted Hide Post
Looks awesome with the UBR....original M4 style lower on your 556?

quote:
Originally posted by SFCUSARET:
Got rid of the fish gill forearms and sent away to Switzerland for the 552 forearms. Still shoots dead on and I'm still happy with it. It has a place of honor in my safe, I'll never part with it.

That's a Swiss 551 3-hole, not a 552 handguard by the way.

Posts: 3065 | Registered: December 21, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
I own a 556xi very accurate rifle made like brick S@%^ house. The feel is very comfortable, I changed the stock from folding to AR adapter now I have Magpul on it, short arms. At first it was a little hard to get proficient with operational controls coming from AR (never owned an AK style rifle) but as time has gone by I'm liking it more & more. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT:
Looks awesome with the UBR....original M4 style lower on your 556?

The early 556's and early P556's came with the M4 style lower ... although I don't remember what it is, there is a slight difference between those too.

I tried a UBR on my 556-SBR but it made an already heavy SBR even heavier so I bought the later 556 classic lower for my SBR's, but they do look good!

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by PGT

That's a Swiss 551 3-hole, not a 552 handguard by the way.

Thanks for the handguard correction. Big finger miss on the android.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post