SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    DPMS AR15s
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

DPMS AR15s Login/Join 
Just because something is legal to do doesn't mean it is the smart thing to do.
posted
What are the opinions here on them?
I picked up an Oracale(sp?) a week ago for $400.00. I will be just doing some fun time target shooting, no competing.

Integrity is doing the right thing, even when nobody is looking.

Posts: 4127 | Location: Metamora MI | Registered: October 31, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I also have an Oracle. Shoots fine for a cheapie.
I put MagPul furniture on mine.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16004 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I've had an Oracle for 2-3 years and it shoots great. It's never had any kind of stoppage.

Mine has a short rail on top of the gas block which made a natural point for a front sight. Since the gas block may get hot, I had to find a metal sight, and because the gas block rail isn't as high above the bore as the upper receiver's rail the sight needed to be about 1/4" longer than typical. I found this UTG front sight on Amazon and it has done the job.

Posts: 1345 | Location: WI | Registered: July 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of the Hudge
posted Hide Post
I have a few and am getting more partial to them. I have nothing bad to say about them and recently bought an upper shelf one.
So far so good.
Just beware that some of the lower shelf ones don’t have a chromed lined barrels.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: the Hudge,

Posts: 798 | Location: Inland Nortwest | Registered: May 29, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
For what you are doing it should be fine. Take it to the range shoot it with a bunch of different ammo and see what it likes the best. Then have fun, lots of fun. Make sure to inspect it when you lube it and you probably will not have issues.

Posts: 4546 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
To all of you who are serving or have served our country, Thank You
Picture of Jelly
posted Hide Post
I picked up an Oracale 2 or 3 years ago because it was on sale cheap. Mounted a Sparc red dot on it. It kind of suprised me it shoots decent. I've also never had any kind of stoppage.

The Oracale does not use a chromed lined or treated barrel but for the price point its a fun shooter/plinker that I don't worry at all about getting a ding or 2 on it.

Posts: 2675 | Registered: March 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
I have been abusing a DPMS stainless steel MK12 barrel on my 3 gun rifle for 5 or 6 years now.

3-gun is notoriously hard on barrels. Sometimes we will shoot 40-60 shots in as little as 30-45 seconds.

I have been waiting for that barrel to open up but it keeps shooting 1.5-2 MOA groups at 100 yards with 55gr factory ammo, and hitting steel with no problem out to 500-600 yards, even when hot.

The oracle is an entry level rifle but there is nothing wrong with DPMS quality, in my experience.

My oldest lower with the highest round count is a DPMS and it works like new.

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P226_operator
posted Hide Post
Now proudly made in Huntsville, Alabama ... ROLL TIDE! Razz

"Make like a Civil Engineer; build a bridge, and get over it!"

Posts: 334 | Location: Madison, AL | Registered: March 20, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
Got to get a HUNTSVILLE stamped firearm. Just got to!

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The guy behind the guy
Picture of esdunbar
posted Hide Post
I have three .308 G2 rifles that seem to be very well made to me. I have some very nice AR's so I'm not confused as to shitty and good.

I am impressed with the G2 line. The furniture is cheap and shitty, but other than that, they have been great.

Posts: 7548 | Registered: April 19, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
PopeDaddy
Picture of x0225095
posted Hide Post
If they were to put out a 6.5 Grendel I'd be all over it in a heartbeat.

0:01

Posts: 4200 | Location: ALABAMA | Registered: January 05, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of kimberkid
posted Hide Post
I'm not sure when DPMS turned the corner, I remember them (pre-94 ban) being bottom of the barrel, now they've come up to a decent looking mid-range AR.

If you really want something you'll find a way ...
... if you don't you'll find an excuse.

I'm really not a "kid" anymore ... but I haven't grown up yet either Wink

Posts: 5700 | Registered: January 11, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My wife's first AR is a DPMS Oracle. She recently completed her first AR class. Other than 'dummy round-induced' stoppages, she put almost 500 rds through it with ZERO problems. Mags were PMags.

I was paid $7.54/HR to go into harm's way so you didn't have to.

Posts: 646 | Location: Heart of Dixie! | Registered: April 19, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post