SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    What do you use to clean up after corrosive ammo?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you use to clean up after corrosive ammo? Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Assuming that you don't have a chrome lined bore (or even if you do, why not), what do you use to deal with the corrosive primed ammo?

I've heard ammonia. Is that the go-to, or are there better options?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I shoot a lot of corrosive surplus ammo through various surplus bolt action rifles. I use Windex with ammonia.

I take a spray bottle of Windex with me, flush the bore and bolt face liberally when I'm done shooting and before leaving the range, then clean and oil promptly upon arrival at home.

I've never had issues with rust.

Posts: 32489 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 1KPerDay
posted Hide Post
Windex is popular, plain water is popular. I personally use "moose milk"--ballistol mixed with water about 1:10. The oil is water soluble so after the water evaporates it leaves oil to prevent rust.

However water dissolves the corrosive salts fine. Then dry well and clean and lube as usual.

---------------------------
My hovercraft is full of eels.

Posts: 3202 | Registered: February 27, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Non-Miscreant
posted Hide Post
Wow, no one uses what I was taught. How about soap and water? Works pretty darn well, and doesn't cost very much. All the things mentioned
so far work just fine. Salt is water soluble and the idea is to get rid of the salt, plain and simple. The best thing to add to the water besides soap is heat. Hot soapy water is great. Then oil on the metal.

Unhappy ammo seeker

Posts: 18387 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: February 25, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Purveyor of Death
and Destruction
Picture of walker77
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 1KPerDay:
Windex is popular, plain water is popular. I personally use "moose milk"--ballistol mixed with water about 1:10. The oil is water soluble so after the water evaporates it leaves oil to prevent rust.

However water dissolves the corrosive salts fine. Then dry well and clean and lube as usual.

I use ballistol for my AK-74. But it does smell nasty.

Posts: 7393 | Location: Raymore, Missouri | Registered: June 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
Good old Hoppes #9. Have used it for decades & never any rust from corrosive ammo.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I too was taught hot soapy water. And I have used Hoppes, too. Right after shooting.

End of Earth: 2 Miles
Upper Peninsula: 4 Miles

Posts: 16063 | Location: Marquette MI | Registered: July 08, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Student of Weapons Craft
Picture of Exodus
posted Hide Post
Put me in the water camp. I ran a few cases of 7n6 through my 5.45 Saiga. After shooting, I'd let it cool a bit, field strip and rinse all the parts with a bottle of water. I'd run one mag of non-corrosive ammo to dry things off and then clean and lube the rifle normally when I had time. Never had a problem with rust.

Posts: 259 | Registered: June 25, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
"Member"
Picture of cas
posted Hide Post

The same thing I use on my black powder rifles, Windex with vinegar.
(my BPCR are my most expensive rifles)

Posts: 21093 | Location: 18th & Fairfax  | Registered: May 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Hot water. Specifically, boiling hot flushed through. Dries quickly on its own, melts cosmoline left in the cracks. Oil after.

--
I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
semi-reformed sailor
Picture of MikeinNC
posted Hide Post
I use cool water and a little simple green for black powder residue...when I had a Mauser and a case of surplus ammo I used water and dawn...

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11268 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Constable
posted Hide Post
Always used plain old soap and water. Then discovered a mix of water and balistol....works very well.

Posts: 7074 | Location: Craig, MT | Registered: December 17, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Believing that the ammonia in Windex does anything to neutralize corrosive primer salts is the equivalent of believing that a hit from a .45 will knock a man off his or that man can be killed killed by a 50 BMG just passing nearby. They are all just urban legend. Windex works wonderfully because it is mostly water!

Posts: 22 | Location: Pittsburgh  | Registered: October 02, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Retired, laying back
and enjoying life
Picture of low8option
posted Hide Post
Hot soapy water for corrosive ammo and black powder have been my go to for over 50 years.

Freedom comes from the will of man. In America it is guaranteed by the 2nd Amendment

Posts: 878 | Location: Northern Alabama | Registered: June 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
I always used hot soapy water after firing black powder. The hot water heats the metal to help in drying.

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Just plain water works fine. The corrosive salts used in the ammo is water soluble. Windex works just fine, but I believe it's the water in the window cleaner doing the work, not really the ammonia. So use Windex, soapy water, or just plain water. Whichever you desire.

Posts: 937 | Location: WV | Registered: May 30, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Been shooting a lot of corrosive ammo lately through a few new milsurp rifles I've acquired, and the easiest way is a bucket of hot soapy water. Stick it in muzzle down and flush the bore with a tight patch on a cleaning rod. Then finish up with standard cleaning process.

Posts: 2477 | Location: WI | Registered: December 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I always just took my mosin home and just cleaned it like any other gun. Never had a problem. Only time I’d use windex is if I wasn’t going to clean it for a few days

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post