SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Rethinking M193 for personal defense
Page 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Rethinking M193 for personal defense Login/Join 
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Is there a round that would be good for home defense and deer?

-----------------------------------------

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer
NRA Certified Firearms Instructor

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
Anybody have any info on this load?

https://atlantaarms.com/produc...5-56mm-65gr-sbt.html

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer

Posts: 7935 | Location: Hoover, AL | Registered: November 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ruger357:

Federal Fusion or Speer Gold Dot. Either one works well on 2 or 4 legged targets.

Posts: 32429 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Banned
posted Hide Post
Mr Bellum, I was under the impression that you were using 5.56SP. I thought I recalled it from a post of yours several years ago.

Posts: 21829 | Registered: October 17, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 229DAK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
The Marines elected to go with the MK318 an open tipped 62 grain projectile with a velocity of 2900+ velocity.

You might want to check this. At least in the Marine's current 2021 ammo budget request to Congress, Mk318 is not listed.

The only combat 5.56mm ammunition in the request is A059/M855 Clipped, 91 million rounds and AB57/M855A1, 10 million rounds.

Posts: 9002 | Location: Northern Virginia | Registered: November 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
53gr. Nosler Varmageddon

Posts: 363 | Registered: January 07, 2020Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 229DAK:
quote:
Originally posted by CD228:
The Marines elected to go with the MK318 an open tipped 62 grain projectile with a velocity of 2900+ velocity.

You might want to check this. At least in the Marine's current 2021 ammo budget request to Congress, Mk318 is not listed.

The only combat 5.56mm ammunition in the request is A059/M855 Clipped, 91 million rounds and AB57/M855A1, 10 million rounds.

That comment was from 2017. USMC changed rounds in 2018.

Posts: 4548 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:

If I were seeking one* load for different purposes like hunting and home defense, I would simply find what I like for the hunting purpose and rely on it entirely.

For the vast majority of us, the very unlikely need for a home defense weapon would be against an invader of some sort. And unless he/they have been paid a large sum of money to eliminate someone in a witness protection program or the like†, or believe looting our safe is going to buy them a home on the Riviera, what is the likelihood that they will press an attack in the face of fire from any gun, much less a rifle? There are many online videos of home invaders who are evidently intent on obtaining money and/or drugs and who turn and flee as fast as possible when being shot at, and not necessarily even being hit.

† (And if they are smart, they would do that outside someone’s home—as should have been done at Waco and elsewhere.)

Yes, there are bullets whose wound ballistics performance against human targets is much better than others, but that matters in military combat, including engaging targets at ranges that are far, far longer than distances inside any building, or for the very rare police engagements against criminals like active killers or others who are determined to fight to the end and not be taken alive. Both military and police must also consider the need for barrier penetration when engaging those same targets.

The one specific factor I can imagine a home defender being concerned about that would affect the decision to chose a particular bullet would be how it would perforate building materials and continue to parts unknown after a miss or even after passing through the target. If that were a consideration, then I might deliberately chose a lightweight varmint-type bullet. Some critics might object to such a choice because they would point out that it might not penetrate a human target deeply enough to hit all vital structures, but see my second paragraph above for my opinion about that issue.

If I ever get called back to assist in a law enforcement operation, my AR will be loaded with Speer Gold Dot bullets because of their demonstrated effectiveness through barriers like auto glass. My magazines that are positioned for home defense, though, are loaded with Hornady 75 grain open tip bullets that tumble and fragment readily because I believe they would be a bit better for ending an attack with a single hit.

* And finally, why only one? Is there any reason why we can’t have a magazine filled with one type of load for defensive purposes and others loaded for hunting?

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Anyone put a 318M1 through an animal? I’m temped to just load up on bonded “FBI load.”

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of ruger357
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
quote:

* And finally, why only one? Is there any reason why we can’t have a magazine filled with one type of load for defensive purposes and others loaded for hunting?

Thank you. To answer your question, I would like to find one good load for deer, target, home defense (without going through a bunch of walls and hitting my children or neighbors)...etc., and buy a metric ton of it so I don’t have to worry about the next shortage. I bought 1000 rounds of the Atlanta arms ammo I linked above. Apparently it was developed for several 3 letter agencies and has performed wonderfully. I’m concerned that it may be too barrier blind for me though.

Roll Tide!

Glock Certified Armorer