SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Ruger Scope Ring Question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger Scope Ring Question Login/Join 
posted
Does anyone know if older Ruger S-100R scope rings (box has a check mark for Ruger No 1) would fit a Ruger 10/22?

I think all Ruger scope rings are the same base but I just want to be sure.

Thanks,

Don

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
No, they will not fit a 10/22.The older center rifles had special attachment points cut into the receivers that Ruger Rings would attach to.

A 10/22 does not have those cut outs.
There are four screw at the top of a 10/22 receiver that allow you to attach a Ruger supplied weaver rail (or rail pieces). There are also many aftermarket picatinny/weaver rails available.
Once those are installed, standard weaver and/or Picatinny rings can be installed.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by xl_target:
No, they will not fit a 10/22.The older center rifles had special attachment points cut into the receivers that Ruger Rings would attach to.

A 10/22 does not have those cut outs.
There are four screw at the top of a 10/22 receiver that allow you to attach a Ruger supplied weaver rail (or rail pieces). There are also many aftermarket picatinny/weaver rails available.
Once those are installed, standard weaver and/or Picatinny rings can be installed.

Thanks. This is an older 10/22 with the original rail and I'm trying to keep it "as is". Going as far as buying an old scope and old rings.

I thought these would be perfect, but wasn't sure.

I thought Weaver bases fit on Ruger rails. No?

Posts: 1514 | Location: Ypsilanti, MI | Registered: August 03, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Let's see if I can help a little.

I bought my 10/22 in the mid 1970s. So, it's an "older" one. It came with a little rail that would screw on top of the receiver and would accommodate rimfire scopes with what were called "tip-off" rings. I think those are 11mm wide or some such.

That rail would not accept the Ruger rings made for the Ruger No 1, Redhawk, M-77 and other such firearms.

You can buy a Burris conversion mount that will turn the front and rear mounts to a short Weaver base for the M77, and others that use the Ruger rings. You can then mount a regular Weaver or Picatinny ring on each of these sections.

I don't believe these conversion mounts will fit on the original Ruger 10/22 tip-off rail. Many years ago I bought a Picatinny rail mount to replace the original 10/22 rail and mounted a regular scope on my 10/22 using Picatinny rings.

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of xl_target
posted Hide Post
I guess I don't know how old your 10/22 is.
My oldest 10/22 was one I bought in 1984 and the rail it came with allowed me to fit standard weaver rings on it.

Posts: 2322 | Registered: January 15, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
So it turns out I have just the plain old 3/8 dovetail on this gun. I believe it's a '63 or '64.

Got a compact Burris 4x on the way for it and some old Weaver tip off rings. Had to send the first Burris 4x back as the windage adjustment didn't Roll Eyes

posted Hide Post
Since the first one was sold in 64, I doubt it's a 63 model.

You can check your serial number here and find out when it was made.

http://www.ruger.com/service/productHistory.html

Posts: 3398 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 20, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I just looked at the Ruger 10/22 manual and they show two styles of scope base adapters on page 33; the tip-off style one that I have and the Weaver-style one that someone else was talking about.