SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Marking Non-standard Caliber Uppers and Magazines
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Marking Non-standard Caliber Uppers and Magazines Login/Join 
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted
Recently, I bought a 20" 6.5 Grendel upper and a 12" 6.5 Grendel pistol. These are the first two non-standard caliber (i.e. 5.56 NATO / .223) guns/uppers and I was faced with ensuring I grab the correct upper, magazines, and ammo to head to the range.

The bolt on the 20" upper has 6.5 Grendel in 6 pt font (brutal to read) and the pistol is marked in a little larger font size.

My 4 round eLanders mags cover up the 6.5 Grendel marking when installed and even the full-size magazines are marked easy to miss. I went exploring on YouTube on best way to stencil & paint magazines and I came across a Sootch video where he both painted mags and swapped out the dustcover for a laser engraved dust cover. That got me exploring on Amazon and below is what I came up with.

Before pic with closed dust covers:

Before pic with open dust covers:

After with new dust covers and magazine markers:

The company Sootch linked for dust covers didn't sell 6.5 Grendel, but I found Squirrel Daddy not only had 6.5 Grendel laser engraved dust covers they took the additional step of laser engraving inside and outside.

The rubber band engraved magazine markers are from Sight Hound Ballistics and they have 6.5 Grendel on one side and 6.5x39mm on the other side.

Both companies shipped promptly and I'm happy with both.

What are y'all using to mark non-standard caliber (anything other than 5.56/.223) uppers and magazines?

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.

Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Hop head
Picture of lyman
posted Hide Post
my only non standard is a 6x45,
an ancient SGW barrel (20" heavy)

it is a standard rifle upper, no bells and whistles,
so I went English and put a red band on the handguards (wife had some red craft paint) to show it is not the standard caliber,

guess I need to dedicate a few magazines for it and mark them as well

https://www.chesterfieldarmament.com/

Posts: 10421 | Location: Beach VA,not VA Beach | Registered: July 17, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
big can of orange paint.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of JBird679
posted Hide Post
If you decide to mark your more common mags, Faxon's bands are a lot cheaper (10 for $10, free ship, and if you sign up for emails they regularly have 15% off). They don't have anywhere near the caliber selection that Sight Hound has though.
https://faxonfirearms.com/magazine-marker-bands/

Posts: 987 | Location: Upstate, SC | Registered: March 19, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Unknown
Stuntman
Picture of bionic218
posted Hide Post
Mine are easier, 300 and 5.56, but I finally found a use for Magpul's glorious colors. Use black for my 5.56 and FDE for the .300BO.

Haven't screwed them up yet, but anything's possible.

Posts: 10750 | Location: missouri | Registered: October 18, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Drill Here, Drill Now
Picture of tatortodd
posted Hide Post
This 300 BLK out of a 5.56 barrel thread is one of the reasons I:
  • Installed the labelled dust covers and magazine marker bands
  • Started this thread (i.e. give people ideas)

Ego is the anesthesia that deadens the pain of stupidity

DISCLAIMER: These are the author's own personal views and do not represent the views of the author's employer.
  •  
    Posts: 23254 | Location: Northern Suburbs of Houston | Registered: November 14, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Inject yourself!
    posted Hide Post
    Those are cool!

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
    Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
    Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8344 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Yep, Squirrel Daddy is where I got my ejection port covers got 6.8 SPC and .300 BO.

Posts: 3335 | Location: South FL | Registered: February 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    White/blue/red tape to mark the 5.45x39 mags.

--
    I always prefer reality when I can figure out what it is.

JALLEN 10/18/18
    https://sigforum.com/eve/forum...610094844#7610094844

Posts: 2363 | Location: Roswell, GA | Registered: March 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    posted Hide Post
    Spray paint. and lots of it. In gross colors. ejection port covers seem way to invisible to me....

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 11002 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Picture of sjames
    posted Hide Post
    Like others, I use different colors/mags/furniture to separate calibers. Black is 556, FDE/FDE Lancer is 300 BLK, Coyote/Coyote ELanders are 6.5G. Since I know there’s no polymer 6.5 mag and I don’t use USGI mags elsewhere, I’m good.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    Telecom Ronin
    Picture of dewhorse
    posted Hide Post
    Much nicer than the masking tape and marker I use Big Grin

Posts: 8301 | Location: Back in NE TX ....to stay | Registered: February 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
    semi-reformed sailor
    Picture of MikeinNC
    posted Hide Post
    I've got a Dolos barrel nut and switch barrels between 5.56 & 300 BLK on a AR pistol....I keep all 300 ammo in black magpull mags and 5.56 is in GI mags. I chose a longer barrel length (10.5 ) for the 300 barrel.

"Violence, naked force, has settled more issues in history than has any other factor.” Robert A. Heinlein

“You may beat me, but you will never win.” sigmonkey-2020

“A single round of buckshot to the torso almost always results in an immediate change of behavior.” Chris Baker

Posts: 11279 | Location: Temple, Texas! | Registered: October 07, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post