SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Another old family heirloom overhaul. 870 Wingmaster.
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Another old family heirloom overhaul. 870 Wingmaster. Login/Join 
Yeah, that M14 video guy...
Picture of benny6
posted
This was may dad's shotgun. It's an early 1970's pre-flexi tab 870 Wingmaster. It started life as a 30" barrel full choke gun.

I installed a new 870 Police bolt, bolt carrier, shell carrier, 18.5" improved cylinder barrel, factory +2 extension kit and a set of Magpul furniture. I also ground the ejector down from 2-3/4" length to 3" magnum length so I could use magnum shells if I wanted to. The ejector spring was also broke, so I installed a new one of those too.

I'll eventually drill & tap the receiver for a top rail and install a light on the forearm somewhere.

Tony.

Owner, TonyBen, LLC, Type-07 FFL
www.tonybenm14.com (Site under construction).
e-mail: tonyben@tonybenm14.com

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Membership has its privileges
Picture of P-220
posted Hide Post
Very cool.

What's old is new again.

Well done!

Niech Zyje P-220

Steve

Posts: 36834 | Location: 45174 | Registered: December 09, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Benny, you do great work and you are one of the smartest M14 guys I know. But did you really need to tacticalize a classic? Wink

Now, I'm a hypocrite because I did the same thing with a wingmaster I purchased from summit gunbroker, but It didn't look as nice as yours did and to be honest yours came out a lot nicer.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: CD228,

Posts: 4547 | Location: Where ever Uncle Sam Sends Me | Registered: March 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Throwin sparks
makin knives
Picture of sybo
posted Hide Post
Talented you are!! Great work here!! Love it!!

Posts: 6203 | Location: Nashville Tn | Registered: October 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
What is a flexi tab?

Posts: 15841 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys! I snapped some better pics last night with my iPad.

Richard,
I think its actually called the flex tab upgrade. It was an improvement implemented in the 80's that allows the action to be cycled if a shell pops out from the magazine tube and lodges itself between the shell carrier and a closed bolt. In the old days, if that happened, you'd have to punch out the trigger group pins and remove the trigger group to clear the jam.

The shell carrier has a U-shaped cutout and the bolt and bolt slide have clearances to allow the bolt to cycle without getting caught up on the rim of the jammed shell.

Tony.

Posts: 5373 | Location: Auburndale, FL | Registered: February 13, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
That is nice work but you ain't getten near my old wingmaster and the old browning done been confiscated by my 42 year old son Wink

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Who Woulda
Ever Thought?
posted Hide Post
Neat!

Posts: 6587 | Registered: August 25, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
That came out nice. I like the Magpul 870 bits.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
That's a well done upgrade. The bluing contrasts nicely with the Magpul furniture.

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
Thanks. I really like both the aesthetic balance of old and new as well as the physical balance of the shotgun itself. It really feels good and solid in the hands. As pictured, it looks great but not over-done with whiz-bangs.

I took it out this past weekend to try it out since I made all the changes and realized when I got to the range that my ammo was still on the workbench at home! I still had M14's to play with, so it was all good.

I'm eager to see what recoil feels like with full power loads and the Magpul stock. I hear that it really tames the recoil. All I need now is a rail section for a light and a side saddle and it's ready for closet duty.

Tony.

That rug really tied
the room together.
Picture of bubbatime
posted Hide Post
I didn't see anything about you replacing the carrier dog spring. This spring is the most important spring as it relates to reliability, so if you plan on using the gun defensively, absolutely replace the carrier dog spring with a new one.

Order the one for the 870P, which is the same one for the 1100, not the regular 870 spring.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...887-1100-11-87-11-96

Posts: 6660 | Location: Floriduh | Registered: October 16, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of benny6
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bubbatime:
I didn't see anything about you replacing the carrier dog spring. This spring is the most important spring as it relates to reliability, so if you plan on using the gun defensively, absolutely replace the carrier dog spring with a new one.

Order the one for the 870P, which is the same one for the 1100, not the regular 870 spring.

https://www.midwayusa.com/prod...887-1100-11-87-11-96

Thanks! I don't think I've replaced that part and I didn't know I needed to until now, but I will.

Tony.