SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Tavor optics...ACOG too much?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Tavor optics...ACOG too much? Login/Join 
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted
So I've heard the Tavors aren't at their best as the range increases (though supposedly my X95 is better than the TARs/SARs).

As I ponder my 16" AR facelift, I wonder if the ACOG should be left on the AR and get an RDS (Meprolight M21 would be appropriate) for the Tavor. I DO like how the ACOG looks/feels on the Tavor. I suppose I need to get out and shoot it some first.

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
What are you trying to do with the gun. ACOG's at least in the fixed 4x or similar versions in my mind are a design mostly left behind in the scheme of things. Defensive use get an aimpoint. Go long get a 1-x LPV. I have not tried longer ranges in my X95 as I really can't see using it for that, but its in reality a 16" 5.56. maybe a bit worse than an AR in capability if you were trying to maximize things but decent.

“So in war, the way is to avoid what is strong, and strike at what is weak.”

Posts: 10990 | Registered: October 14, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Bob RI
posted Hide Post
I use mine as a house gun and never shoot it beyond 100 yards. I have a Mepro tru dot RDS that I got on sale some years ago when the X95 came out. I like it on the X95 and have not been tempted to swap it out for anything else as of yet.

https://www.gunsweek.com/en/op...ed-dot-israeli-style

Posts: 4520 | Registered: January 22, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
Look at the mini ACOG’s, like the 1.5x or 2x. I think they would be a great pairing for the X95.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SFCUSARET
posted Hide Post
I was debating whether to make a comment or not. Dang man! Use whatever you use on an M4 or a 16in carbine. It will do the job.

Posts: 1061 | Location: Scottsdale, AZ | Registered: September 26, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Busier than a cat covering
crap on a marble floor
Picture of Z06
posted Hide Post
I ran my old TA50-4 ACOG (mini) for a while on my Tavor:

but have since gone to an M21 that I really like:

I only shoot 200 yds or less though.

Posts: 4017 | Location: AZ | Registered: July 18, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Delta-3
posted Hide Post
An ACOG will work just fine. If it works on an AR, it'll work on a Tavor.

Rom 13:4 If you do evil, be afraid. For he does not bear the sword in vain. For he is God's minister, an avenger to execute wrath on him who practices evil.

Posts: 704 | Location: NW Ohio but Montana is always home. | Registered: September 30, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
I'm using a Trijicon MRO (Green) optic on my Tavor X95 in .300 BLK and I find it perfect for 100 applications. As other have said, this system isn't really designed for long range applications and the non-magnified dot works well for me.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Charmingly unsophisticated
Picture of AllenInAR
posted Hide Post
Just installed the Geissele Lightning Bow trigger. Man, what a difference.

I'm gonna stick with the ACOG for now. It does seem to work for me. Gonna put a few small fiddly bits on (Manticore Arms is getting some of my money) and call it 'done'.

The MRO looks good with that FDE cover! And Z06 apparently has some SiCo suppressors as well!

The artist formerly known as AllenInWV

Posts: 16188 | Location: Harrison, AR | Registered: February 05, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I've got an Aimpoint PRO on mine. It suits my needs for home defense. I'd also feel comfortable using the PRO for most ranges suitable for a Tavor.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The tavor really is a red dot gun. Not saying it’s not worthy of a magnified optic but it’s made from the ground up to be a cqb weapon. I have an aimpoint pro on mine, maybe one day I’ll put a holographic sight on it eventually

Posts: 3371 | Registered: December 06, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
So I've heard the Tavors aren't at their best as the range increases (though supposedly my X95 is better than the TARs/SARs).

Actually, most people have pretty much established it's the other way around with respect to accuracy. Initially, the X95s weren't grouping quite as well as the SARs. Though it really is splitting hairs, figuratively... not literally. Wink

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mcltc
posted Hide Post
It’s a battle rifle, 2-3 MOA, so a Meprolight Pro RDS rides on mine now. I tried a variable optic for awhile, but it was heavy enough before, and not only did the extra weight interfere with the maneuverability of the X95 that I bought it for in the first place, but I also realized that the variable optic was overkill

"Nothing ruins a good war story like a good eyewitness" - Annonymous

Posts: 56 | Registered: November 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by limblessbiff:
The tavor really is a red dot gun. Not saying it’s not worthy of a magnified optic but it’s made from the ground up to be a cqb weapon.

Yep. It's very focused on indoor use/room clearing. Short OAL for tighter maneuvering, and combined with the butt-heavy design allows the support hand to easily detach for door/item manipulation while still keeping the weapon shouldered and pointed towards the potential threat area.

Posts: 32487 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of pulicords
posted Hide Post
My Trijicon MRO is on a quick detachable mount and I also have a Leupold 1-6x red dot that's also mounted this way as an option. Both sights are viable options as they retain their zeros within the limited 200 yard range I consider best for this particular rifle.

"I'm not fluent in the language of violence, but I know enough to get around in places where it's spoken."

Posts: 10193 | Location: The Free State of Arizona | Registered: June 13, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post