SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mini 14... (EDITED: We bought one)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini 14... (EDITED: We bought one) Login/Join 
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Since you're sticking with iron sights, I'd recommend installing a Tech Sights rear sight.

It's a lot easier to adjust than the factory rear sight, and allows for more fine adjustment. It also has a slightly smaller aperture, for greater precision.

https://www.tech-sights.com/mini-products/

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
What's the consensus on running .223 aluminum cased ammo in a Mini-14?

I've never used it in an AR, but have in an AK.

Just curious, Wallyworld had 100rd boxes of Federal brass for $30.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
I've put cheap steel cased ammo through mine without issue.

Posts: 32494 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I've never actually tied steel case .223 in my mini, but the rifle gives me the impression that it would happily eat anything I decided to feed it.

Posts: 8541 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
What's the consensus on running .223 aluminum cased ammo in a Mini-14?

Aluminum cased? I was not aware of such a thing for 223; steel, yes, but not aluminum for centerfire rifle cartridges.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47397 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I had a Mini 14 in 223 and I loved the way it cycled when shot. However, what I didn't like was its lack of accuracy. My AR-15’s in 223 were twice as accurate so I sold the Mini 14.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
We finally got to shoot it. Had to go to a public indoor range, so we doubled up on hearing protection.

What a fun rifle to shoot. I told my son and his friend to watch people’s reactions, after the first shot. Again, it’s an indoor range, but they allow .223.

After a few rounds, everyone on the range came to ask what we were shooting. One guy asked if it was a shotgun. We also had an AR, but we shot the Mini 14 the most.

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Sock Eating Golden
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
What a fun rifle to shoot. I told my son and his friend to watch people’s reactions, after the first shot. Again, it’s an indoor range, but they allow .223.

We have an indoor range that allows up to .30-06. THAT is a fun one to touch off on a crowded, unsuspecting range. Big Grin

Nick

"I cannot imagine any condition which would cause a ship to founder. I cannot conceive of any vital disaster happening to this vessel. Modern shipbuilding has gone beyond that."
-Capt. Edward Smith

Posts: 5795 | Location: NE Ohio | Registered: November 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I got one in .223 15 years ago for $325 new. The best I could get was 4 inch groups at 100yds.

Posts: 735 | Registered: February 25, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post