SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Mini 14... (EDITED: We bought one)
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Mini 14... (EDITED: We bought one) Login/Join 
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted
My son threw out the idea of getting a Mini 14. He's buying.

I wasn't aware they came in different calibers, .223, 7.62x39, .300 BLK.

This could be a tough decision. The black laminate stock with stainless steel barrel looks very tempting...

Decisions, decisions..

I like the idea of 7.62, but think after awhile, I'd probably want .223.

Just for range use, any suggestions?

This message has been edited. Last edited by: ASKSmith,

-----------------
I apologize now...

Posts: 10552 | Registered: December 30, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Not as cheap, customizable, or potentially accurate as an AR-15, but they're a nice change of pace and more traditional feeling rifle. They make fun range toys.

Mini-14s in .223 are more widely available and are a bit more reliable than Mini-30s in 7.62x39, which don't tend to like the cheap steel-cased Russian ammo and have a nasty tendency to break firing pins.

There were also Minis produced in a few other calibers, including .300 Blackout, 6.8 SPC, and .222. But I'd stick to .223 for cheap plinking fun.

Personally, I'd choose the stainless 16" barreled version. Makes for a nice, handy little package, similar in size to a M1 Carbine.
https://ruger.com/products/min...specSheets/5820.html

Posts: 32430 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Usually we go in 50/50 when making a purchase. My reasoning is that eventually everything I own will be his anyways. So we don't buy two of anything. He'll have a nice collection when he buries me. Big Grin

I've always liked the Mini's, and I think I'd want to stick with a .223. I just never knew they made them in so many options.

I'm liking that 16" in stainless...

-----------------
I apologize now...

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ASKSmith:
Usually we go in 50/50 when making a purchase. My reasoning is that eventually everything I own will be his anyways. So we don't buy two of anything. He'll have a nice collection when he buries me. Big Grin

I've always liked the Mini's, and I think I'd want to stick with a .223. I just never knew they made them in so many options.

I'm liking that 16" in stainless...

They're a fun rifle out to 100 yards, accurate enough. My favorite has always been the 16" stainless with black synthetic stock. I'd stick to .223 personally.

Posts: 21335 | Registered: June 12, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sourdough44
posted Hide Post
I kinda do similar with my Son(s), as far as helping them out when there is a strong interest.

I secretly ordered a VZ-58 the other day, 7.62 x 39, made in the Chech Republic I think. I plan to hide it until Christmas.

I don’t own a Ruger Mini, more of an AR guy. I don’t have much against the Ruger, shot a few at times.

Posts: 6132 | Location: WI | Registered: February 29, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
I love the mini and while an AR is my current home defense rifle the mini certainly can fill that role too.

I suggest getting the .223 as well. And only use factory mags. Anything else is a crap shoot and while the factory mags are pricey they are reliable.

IMO an AR is the better all around rifle but I have never enjoyed shooting an AR as much I do the Mini. it is a blast to shoot.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Thanksfor the replies, we already have an AR (but my son has expressed interest in building his own). I had also mentioned a price concern with the Mini magazines.

I don't have an M1 Garand (yet), but always joke when I buy one, I'm just going to display it on the wall. My son said the same thing about some of the Mini's we saw. What a neat little rifle. When I was in high school in the 90's, a friend had one with a folding stock he kept in his truck in a rifle rack in the high school parking lot. Times have changed...

-----------------
I apologize now...

posted Hide Post
I like my tactical mini-14. Adjustable folding black synthetic stock chambered in .223. Great reliable gun... and it looks cool.

Posts: 1299 | Location: Arizona | Registered: January 31, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Leatherneck
posted Hide Post
The Mini-14 mags are only expensive in comparison to AR mags. Compared to most pistol mags they are about the same price.

“Everybody wants a Sig in the sheets but a Glock on the streets.” -bionic218 04-02-2014

Posts: 15249 | Location: Florida | Registered: May 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
About as tacti-cool as I get. 194 series .223 ranch

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Prepared for the Worst, Providing the Best
Picture of 92fstech
posted Hide Post
I really love me my mini. Better balance and more natural cheek weld than an AR. For prone or bench shooting the AR wins out, but offhand the Mini is much handier. Like others have said, stick to factory mags. And be prepared for that sucker to fling brass 30-50 feet...no joke Eek!

Posts: 8420 | Location: In the Cornfields | Registered: May 25, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of 4859
posted Hide Post
I have two Mini 14's in .223 and they are a fun rifle. I agree with the others who say it is not as accurate as the AR, but they still get the job done. I picked up a Stainless Tactical this summer and it is a bit better shooter then the 181 Series I have. My only issue with the Mini 14 is the factory stock is a tad too short for my long arms. Easy fix with an after market stock or butt pad spacer.

-----------------------------
Always carry. Never tell.

Posts: 5772 | Location: Montana  | Registered: May 13, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CLEANDEAN
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Kskelton:
I like my tactical mini-14. Adjustable folding black synthetic stock chambered in .223. Great reliable gun... and it looks cool.

I upgraded to an ATI folding stock. Made my Mini ranch into a new "Tacticool" carbine.
With a 5 " Accustrut LT... that old gun shoots better now than when it was new in 1986.

Never judge a man, till you have walked a mile in his shoes.....
That way, you'll be a mile away from him; and you'll have his shoes.

Posts: 181 | Location: So. of 3 Rivers < Penna. VIGILANT CURMUDGEON | Registered: April 12, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have two new generation Mini Tacticals with the 16" barrel, bird cage, and straight synthetic stock. Have the 7.62X39 and .223. Both are a blast, have had no issues shooting russian crap though the 7.62. Even did a carbine match with the Mini-14 and placed in the top 15. What I loose on the long range shots I can make up for in the under 75 yard shots since the height over bore of the optics is so much tighter than an AR and the point/shootability is just stellar.

IDPA ESP SS

Posts: 964 | Location: Nashville, TN | Registered: January 03, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ignored facts
still exist
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Pale Horse:

I suggest getting the .223 as well. And only use factory mags. Anything else is a crap shoot and while the factory mags are pricey they are reliable.

agree. .223 and factory mags. I learned the hard way that most of the non-factory mags are junk and won't feed.

----------------------
Let's Go Brandon!

Posts: 10861 | Location: 45 miles from the Pacific Ocean | Registered: February 28, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
I had to pull my son out of school for a Dr. appt, and we had time to kill.

Picked up the black stainless 5.56 with a 16" threaded barrel. Came with 2 factory mags, and we bought an extra factory mag. https://ruger.com/products/min...specSheets/5820.html

Now the questions. Do we want to get a suppressor? Do we want to mount a scope?

My son paid for his half. I let him enjoy the efforts of his hard work. He's an entrepreneur: cuts grass, dog sits, and referees soccer games. He's very happy with it, it's a neat rifle.

-----------------
I apologize now...

posted Hide Post
I don't think a suppressor will do much good as the bullet is faster than the speed of sound.

I'd go for a nice red dot of some sort. To me a scope and an AR or Mini 14 don't really go hand in hand. And personally I wouldn't be using a mini too much further than 100 or so yards...….so the scope again wouldn't make sense to me.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:
I don't think a suppressor will do much good as the bullet is faster than the speed of sound.

Your lack of experience with suppressors shows. Depending on the model, suppressors reduce noise levels by up to 30 db. That's a significant and noticeable reduction.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by jimmy123x:

Your lack of experience with suppressors shows. Depending on the model, suppressors reduce noise levels by up to 30 db. That's a significant and noticeable reduction.

You're right I'm not that knowledgable on supressors. I've shot a few pistols suppressed with subsonic ammunition. A suppressor will quiet the muzzle blast noise, however every form of .223 breaks the sound barrier and you will still get the crack of that which the suppresser isn't going to effect or quiet the sonic boom at all. A suppressed .223 is still over 130 decibels unless you shoot subsonic ammo and the gun won't cycle and what's the point of shooting subsonic .223. It certainly won't be like a suppressor on a .45 acp or 9mm with subsonic ammo.

Bunch of savages
in this town
Picture of ASKSmith
posted Hide Post
Sorry, I left out the Big Grin face when I mentioned the supressor or scope. I even mentioned to him he won’t be shooting past 100yds, and just get proficient with iron sights. He’s a 15y/o that plays a lot of “Call of Duty” type games.

And I did explain to him about supersonic/subsonic rounds.

But he loves the rifle. He earned it. I’m kind of jealous myself.

-----------------
I apologize now...