SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New scar 20s
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New scar 20s Login/Join 
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
It's polymer.

Belgian, I'm really not sure yet. Probably some sort of Nightforce

Thanks!

Seems like the ATACR 4-16x50 would be a great fit.

Great minds think alike. That's close to what I was thinking of myself. I have been looking at the ATACR 4-16x42 with the TreMor3 reticle:

https://www.eurooptic.com/Nigh...TL-TReMor3-C575.aspx

Initially, I was leaning toward the JP JPFTSM-34-20 mount:

https://www.jprifles.com/buy.php?item=JPFTSM-34-20

But after reading Dj's suggestion, I started looking at the Spuhr 6401 with 20MOA elevation:

https://www.eurooptic.com/spuh...6-6-mil-206-moa.aspx

The Spuhr looks great but it's got a 4 cross bolt mounting plate vs JP's 5 cross bolts. Though the Spuhr is probably more rigid. Also, as I was considering the ATACR 42mm objective model, I was thinking about the lowest mount that I could get to accommodate it. That would be the Spuhr. The JP mount is set up for 1.5" centerline and that seems a little high on a scope with a 42mm objective.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doing what I want,
When I want,
If I want!
Picture of beltfed21
posted Hide Post
My SCAR 17s shoots very accurately, so I'd assume the 20s will be more so. But, I'm very pleased with my LMT which I can switch between .308 and 6.5 Creedmore with a barrel swap, returning to zero with the each change!

"On the other side of fear you will always find freedom"

Posts: 2667 | Registered: January 08, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of onpointgun
posted Hide Post
I saw one for sale today at my local gun shop and indoor range. It is a work of art but I don't think its worth the $$$$.

I will be swift in my attack. My venom is packed with enough pride and gun powder to take down
any adversary that attempts to tread on my freedom. You've been warned, but if you
still want to test me, take a step forward.

Posts: 2033 | Location: ON THE YELLOW BRICK ROAD | Registered: February 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
I saw one on the shelf. The colors are... sdisturbing.

I had to go gaze at the classic O/U shotguns to get my Zen back.

Posts: 15891 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THIEF/banned
posted Hide Post
Been pulling my hair out debating this or the KAC M110.

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
THIEF/banned
posted Hide Post
Damnit! Well one's gotta complete the SCAR family, right? I guess the kids really don't need to go to college...LOL

Posts: 71 | Location: PA | Registered: July 15, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of stormwalker
posted Hide Post
FYI, the bolt and BCG are the same as the 17, the only incompatible parts between the 17 & 20 are the receiver and barrel assembly.

Posts: 545 | Location: Florida | Registered: December 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post

"You know George, every time the steel rings, a person gets a new SCAR 20S..."

Well, waddaya know 'bout that??? It must be true, because I just got one myself!!!

I'm stoked! It took a while to get here, but it finally arrived! I was hoping it would arrive before my FFL closed up shop for the extended weekend... Sure enough, right after lunch I got my notice.

Upon looking it over I'm happy with the overall product. I was curious about the construction of the stock and I'm happy to find that the entire stock frame is alloy instead of polymer. It seems very stout and well designed. For all the complaints leveled against the standard SCAR stock, I think FN really did a great job on this one.

I got to looking at the four extra bolts in the receiver up near the gas block. Looking inside the receiver through the gas port window, I can see there is a block held in place by those four bolts. If I were to guess, I would suspect that FN thought it would help prevent excess gas from escaping back down toward the chamber when supressed. That's just a guess.

The barrel is awesome. Make no mistake, as Dj pointed out in a previous post, it's certainly beefier than a standard SCAR 17 barrel.

The trigger is excellent, just what I would expect from Geissele. I'm glad FN went with Geissele instead of reinventing the wheel with their own improved trigger. Overall, I saw no cosmetic blemishes or QC deficiencies.

Now, I gotta decide on the optic and work that into the budget. I'll be paying attention to input from forum members on that as well.

What a great way to kick off Thanksgiving weekend!

Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Very cool, Belgian Blue! Congratulations!

We'll be awaiting your range report!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of creslin
posted Hide Post
So mine just arrived today (yay).

Got a question for others who also have one.
Does the buttpad on yours also wobble like crazy?
It's held in by 1 little pin.. and it just see-saws back and forth around it.
It's noisy.

This is where my signature goes.

Posts: 1541 | Location: Kernersville, NC | Registered: June 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
I may be the only one to say so but I think the SCAR 20S Is unpleasing looking to my eyes and over priced. I'll stick to my 17H. If I was to spend that much money on a new rifle it would be KAC M110.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: samnev,

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Oh stewardess,
I speak jive.
Picture of 46and2
posted Hide Post
It's a good thing they're such well-performing rifles, because they're pretty fugly.

Not quite Scorpion fugly, but related.

Like props from Starship Troopers or something.

Posts: 25613 | Registered: March 12, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Doin' what I can
with what I got
Picture of Rob Decker
posted Hide Post
Every time I wonder which of these to buy, I remind myself -

"Who cares? You can't afford any of 'em!"

Jealous. Keep the pics coming guys! It's the closest I'm gonna get for a while!

----------------------------------------
Death smiles at us all. Be sure you smile back.

Posts: 5542 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: May 11, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Random question for the new 20S owners. Is the buttstock interface plate that slides onto the back of the receiver polymer or aluminum? Is there any other feature there for absorbing the carrier impact?

I know the aluminum plate on aftermarket stocks like the KDG SAS has been blamed as the cause for the bent rear receiver screws, since the plate on the factory 17S stock is polymer.

It's polymer.

*cough*

Razor 4.5-27

*cough*

https://www.eurooptic.com/vort...rrets-rzr-42706.aspx

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of samnev
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 46and2:
It's a good thing they're such well-performing rifles, because they're pretty fugly.

Not quite Scorpion fugly, but related.

Like props from Starship Troopers or something.

Yep fully was the word I was looking for in my post.

Posts: 1836 | Location: Arizona | Registered: June 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
As mentioned in a previous post above, not sure how the 20S is "over priced" when it's perfectly in line with similar rifles. I'd like to see where you can get a "true" M110 for $4K anyway. I've seen a couple on GB for $7500. Most of the KAC SR-25s I've seen are in the $4K range.

Beyond that, I like FN's cold hammer forged barrel over what KAC puts on their rifles. I would guess a person could put more rounds down range with a 20S than an M110 before the accuracy degrades significantly. I've never pulled the trigger on a KAC M110, but I can't imagine how KAC (or anyone else) might have a trigger any better than the 20S. FN pretty much picked the best option on the trigger market. Then there's the short stroke gas system with interchangeable gas jets to fine tune it to a suppressor, load, etc.

I think people would find the 20S less objectionable if the upper didn't have such an obvious gold tone. Maybe the next batch will cure that. I think once a person gets past the aesthetics, the key features inherent to the SCAR system make them a pretty good option.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by IndianaBoy:
quote:
quote:
Random question for the new 20S owners. Is the buttstock interface plate that slides onto the back of the receiver polymer or aluminum? Is there any other feature there for absorbing the carrier impact?

I know the aluminum plate on aftermarket stocks like the KDG SAS has been blamed as the cause for the bent rear receiver screws, since the plate on the factory 17S stock is polymer.

It's polymer.

*cough*

Razor 4.5-27

*cough*

https://www.eurooptic.com/vort...rrets-rzr-42706.aspx

Yeah, that's another one I was considering. I was looking at EuroOptic and had one in my basket and they had a $400 discount bringing them down to $2099. I didn't complete the buy and the next day they were back up to $2499 with no discount. Frown

I have been doing my research on optics. This one has been the #1 choice for Precision Rifle shooters for the last 2-3 years:

2015:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/...scopes-and-reticles/

2016:

http://precisionrifleblog.com/...nge-scopes-pros-use/

BTW, PRB.org is a great resource I found that covers optics and other Precision Rifle topics.

So, while I have been leaning toward Nightforce, the Razor II seems like a solid option also. I like the warranty that covers the scope in its entirety. Most other options only have 2-3yrs on the illumination electronics. I also like the Razor's illumination dial better than Nightforce's push button. I really like the JP mount and of course Spuhr too.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I have been doing my research on optics. This one has been the #1 choice for Precision Rifle shooters for the last 2-3 years

Some portions of the "what the pros use" blogs must be taken in context of PRS practices. Vortex has a strong sponsorship program among the top ranks. Depending on the product, sponsor, and shooter, some competitors receive free and/or reduced cost items each year.

The "pros use" rankings would be different for certain items if the pros paid straight from their own pockets.

Posts: 7873 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
I have been doing my research on optics. This one has been the #1 choice for Precision Rifle shooters for the last 2-3 years

Some portions of the "what the pros use" blogs must be taken in context of PRS practices. Vortex has a strong sponsorship program among the top ranks. Depending on the product, sponsor, and shooter, some competitors receive free and/or reduced cost items each year.

The "pros use" rankings would be different for certain items if the pros paid straight from their own pockets.

That's a really good point.

LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
I think I've eliminated the Leupold Mk5 from my list of potential options. Yesterday I had the chance to handle one at Cabela's. It seemed like it had great optics,mbut the turrets seemed very mushy and nowhere as crisp as the Nightforce ATACR I also looked at. At another store I saw the Vortex Razor Gen 2. That one seemed very nice but man, in person that thing is HUGE. Turrets were very nice. It's close between Vortex and Nightforce for me.