SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    New scar 20s
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

New scar 20s Login/Join 
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
KAC SR-25: $4900
LWRC REPR MKII 20”: $4000
SCAR 20S: $3900
HK MR762: $3600 (16” only)
LMT MWS 16”: $3000 (+ $500 to get a 20” barrel)
LaRue OBR 20”: $3370
GAP-10 G2: $3000
Daniel Defense DD5V2: $3000 (18” only)

Any other good options I'm missing?

The 20S isn’t winning any low price wars, no surprise there. But it’s certainly in the ballpark for what comparable factory built rifles of this class are selling for. Especially considering it was just released this week. I bet prices will settle a bit when it's been out as long as the other options.

In that price range I've always liked the LWRC REPR, it would be neat to see a side-by-side accuracy comparison between the two. I was unimpressed with the accuracy of my buddies HK MR762 considering what he has invested in it.

-------------------------
SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com
www.instagram.com/regosystems/

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
That's the rub of my comment, Brett. Rugged, accurized .308/7.62x51 semi-autos are not cheap.

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
It's wise of FNHUSA to install the Geissele Super SCAR trigger.

Posts: 107266 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
It's wise of FNHUSA to install the Geissele Super SCAR trigger.

Good Point. Mine at $3995 from Eurooptics coming with a $325 trigger it's not really too much more than a regular SCAR that I'm going to add a SCAR Trigger also.

One note is that my 20s came with a 1/12 twist barrel. It does NOT like 178gr A-Max bullets likely due to the slower twist rate. I'm going to try 168's next. If you are dead set on shooting heavier bullets in 308 you might want a barrel with a faster twist rate...........dj

Remember, this is all supposed to be for fun...................

Posts: 4123 | Registered: April 06, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by KevinCW:
MSRP of $4500.00

LOL, get fucked FN.
You obviously have no idea what quality semi-auto precision 308 rifles cost.

That’s what happens when people think this weapon is built to compete with a $799 PSA AR10 at 50 yards with FMJs.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by djpaintles:
One note is that my 20s came with a 1/12 twist barrel. It does NOT like 178gr A-Max bullets likely due to the slower twist rate. I'm going to try 168's next. If you are dead set on shooting heavier bullets in 308 you might want a barrel with a faster twist rate...........dj

In the two links I posted on the first page, the first shooter achieved an average of .88 MOA with 175 FGMM at 100 yards. The second shooter achieved a 2.56" group at 300 yards (~.85 MOA) with Black Hills 178 grain ELD-X.

Maybe it was just that particular AMAX load it didn't prefer? Seems other heavy grain loads have grouped well.

My own SCAR 17S grouped very well with 175 FGMM out of the factory 16" barrel with 1:12 twist (it wears a 13" barrel now).

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

Posts: 2597 | Location: Midwest | Registered: September 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:

In the two links I posted on the first page, the first shooter achieved an average of .88 MOA with 175 FGMM at 100 yards. The second shooter achieved a 2.56" group at 300 yards (~.85 MOA) with Black Hills 178 grain ELD-X.

Maybe it was just that particular AMAX load it didn't prefer? Seems other heavy grain loads have grouped well.

My own SCAR 17S grouped very well with 175 FGMM out of the factory 16" barrel with 1:12 twist (it wears a 13" barrel now).

Might be Brett. That same load shoots well in my other 2 SCAR 17's. I've read that some 1/12 barrels don't like the heavier bullets and just wanted to mention it as information for people considering purchasing a pretty pricey rifle.

I'm also going to load up some Sierra and Nosler 175's to see if it just doesn't like A-Max's for some reason. I had a Kimber 22-250 that went from 2" groups to sub 1/2" groups just switching out same weight bullets! Sometimes you just don't know till you try. :-)

Middle children
of history
Picture of Brett B
posted Hide Post
^^Be sure and share your results! Cool

SCAR forend upgrades:
www.regosys.com

posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
Originally posted by Brett B:
quote:
One note is that my 20s came with a 1/12 twist barrel. It does NOT like 178gr A-Max bullets likely due to the slower twist rate. I'm going to try 168's next.

Maybe it was just that particular AMAX load it didn't prefer?

That same load shoots well in my other 2 SCAR 17's. I've read that some 1/12 barrels don't like the heavier bullets and just wanted to mention it as information for people considering purchasing a pretty pricey rifle.

I am a little wary of a 1/12 twist barrel, but that's mainly from 3rd party rumors. My current 308 has 1/11 twist barrel, with its 1/11 twist replacement in the wings when the first barrel suffers from too much throat erosion.

I think your accuracy issues might be a combination of barrel, chamber, and bullet. I haven't shot the 178 AMax, but the 168 AMax is very good for me. Also good with 168 SMK, 175 SMK, 155 Scenar, 155 AMax, 168 Hornady BTHP, 190 SMK, 167 Scenar, 185 Scenar.

My barrel is OK with 168 ELD-M, but not up to the standards of the bullets just noted. I can't seem to make 168 TMK or 175 TMK shoot worth a darn. Maybe I have enough throat erosion that the newer and more slippery bullets don't tolerate the additional jump.

Understand that this is with a bolt action rifle with a Bartlein barrel, however from discussing the issue with other 308 shooters, I don't think I'm the lone ranger here. And this is for both bolt action and AR-10 users.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Dj, glad to see you found one! I have a few questions. Is the barrel a heavier profile than the 17s? How does the length of the stock compare to a 17s when fully extended? I have long arms and prefer a long length of pull. This being a domestic made rifle, how does the overall quality compare to the Belgian made 17s?

I’m sure you will enjoy it. I look forward to seeing your shooting results.

Posts: 5415 | Registered: October 18, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
RHINO, I remember a post in another thread about one of your SCARs, you mentioned that you needed a wrench to remove your gas regulator. Do you think it would have been more difficult on the 20s with the extended rail and window access to the gas regulator? Just wondering if that might be a concern on the 20s.

posted Hide Post
For that kind of money I am going with a JP LRP-07.

Posts: 324 | Location: GA | Registered: August 05, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Lt CHEG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Belgian Blue:
Dj, glad to see you found one! I have a few questions. Is the barrel a heavier profile than the 17s? How does the length of the stock compare to a 17s when fully extended? I have long arms and prefer a long length of pull. This being a domestic made rifle, how does the overall quality compare to the Belgian made 17s?

Did you get one? I picked up my limited edition package last Saturday. It's number 59 of 200. I still feel that the limited edition setup was worth the extra.

“It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat.”

Posts: 5562 | Location: Upstate NY | Registered: February 28, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
LIBERTATEM DEFENDIMUS
Picture of Belgian Blue
posted Hide Post
Lt, Unfortunately I missed out because I only found out about them the Friday before the cutoff. I was really surprised and found out here on Sigforum. I think the limited edition package is a good value. It’s sort of like a modern day PSG-1 at a better price. I fully intend to get one though. Right now I’m just enjoying all the feedback from new owners as I shop around. I think it’s a great rifle and I can’t wait to get one. This weekend is the big Tulsa Wanamacher show. So I may get my chance pretty soon.

Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
quote:
RHINO, I remember a post in another thread about one of your SCARs, you mentioned that you needed a wrench to remove your gas regulator. Do you think it would have been more difficult on the 20s with the extended rail and window access to the gas regulator? Just wondering if that might be a concern on the 20s.

You only need a wrench to rotate the gas regulator if you shoot hundreds of rounds suppressed over several months without any MX.

Mine got that was with 700+ rounds suppressed over 7-9 months of no cleaning.

So I don't see it as a concern at all - you can certainly use a dowel to tap / rotate the regulator or just use some cleaner to dislodge the built up carbon.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:

Belgian Blue, The max length of pull with the stock fully extended is 15". The buttpad is easily removed with 1 pin so it would be child's play to sub it out for a thicker one IF FN would offer them, which I doubt. The grip is a std AR Hoge grip and defiantly too small even for my medium size hands, I've already ordered one with more of a backstrap.

As far as quality I wouldn't have known they were US made unless you told me. Mine does have the 4 extra screws in the receiver behind the gas block that the Military ones don't have. I don't know why the difference yet.

The barrel diameter in front of the handguards is .794, at roughly the same 4" in front of the regulator my 16" SCAR 17 Barrel was .675. Noticeably heavier contour.

As far as finding one my local RifleWorks in Plano, TX had two of them at std retail of $4495. I got mine from Eurooptics for $3995. If Eurooptics has any left I can't recommend them high enough for Service, Price, Integrity etc, they are absolutely my favorite dealer for high end rifles and optics. My bet would be that you'll see several at the Wannemacher show at wildly varying prices. Some dealer will just be wanting to sell stuff others will be trying to knock somebody's head off. I sure wouldn't pay more than $4495 but even better I'd see if Eurooptics can get you one for $3995 even if you have to wait a bit. Everything I've ever backordered from them has come in sooner than expected.

Anyway best of luck! I hope you find one soon and we can talk about the best loads you've found. :-)

Get on the fifty!
Picture of Andyb
posted Hide Post
How many monkeys at UPS does it take to lose a Scar at the destination hub...well..I don't know how many but they've managed to do it Roll Eyes I could tell the guy on the phone about shit when I told him what it was and the value. We'll see...

"Pickin' stones and pullin' teats is a hard way to make a living. But, sure as God's got sandals, it beats fightin' dudes with treasure trails."

"We've been tricked, we've been backstabbed, and we've been quite possibly, bamboozled."

Posts: 3585 | Location: OK | Registered: November 07, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Andyb:
How many monkeys at UPS does it take to lose a Scar at the destination hub...well..I don't know how many but they've managed to do it Roll Eyes I could tell the guy on the phone about shit when I told him what it was and the value. We'll see...

Ahhhhh! Eek

I hope this gets sorted out and fast!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by l33571:
For that kind of money I am going with a JP LRP-07.

This is where I am at as well.

Although the 260 Rem LaRue PredatOBR has been on my radar as of late.....

Posts: 14114 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I'm battling over if I want this or I just want the barrel. If I did get it I think I'd swap back to the Ugg boot so I'm not sure the values there for me personally though I certainly understand the price tag. Cool to see them release this, I talked to a rep about one a while back so I'm glad its hit the market.

Posts: 3041 | Location: Pnw | Registered: March 21, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post