SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SigForum Friends - Recommend a .22lr bolt gun for me, please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SigForum Friends - Recommend a .22lr bolt gun for me, please Login/Join 
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I sort of think that people recommending a 455 over a 77/22 are doing shout out of jealousy since they can’t get their hands on a 77/22......of course it joking.......sort of......

Or we just read what the OP posted.

quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Friends,

The happy day that I get to introduce my little girl to shooting is approaching! I should be able to buy or borrow from my dad the old Marlin youth model single-shot .22 bolt action rifle that I learned to shoot with. But, that gun is in rough shape, and may not be worth rehabbing.

So, if I want to start fresh, and get a .22lr bolt gun to use to teach my baby girl the fundamentals, what would you recommend?

Nothing indicates he's looking for an adult sized gun there. While Ruger does offer a more compact 22, it's not the 77/22. The CZ does exactly what the OP is asking with the ability to grow with the shooter. There is nothing that would keep a person from getting a 455 Scout and turning it into a 17 HMR American at a later date. All that would be needed is the barrel and stock which can be had with relative ease, plus the 455 has about .5" less length of pull as compared to the Ruger American compact. Think it's about a 1/4 pound lighter too. Doesn't sound like much, but for a dainty little girl, it may make all the difference in the world Wink

Otherwise, your 77/22 recommendation is solid. Beautiful guns!

Posts: 2832 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
+1 on the CZ 455 Scout. Great setup for a new young shooter. I like that I can start him on irons and run a suppressor on it so we can focus on the fundamentals and eliminate as many distractions as possible. I have an 8 year old boy and this is what I am using to get him started.

Posts: 60 | Registered: January 12, 2016Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
CZ, no question.

Posts: 2679 | Location: The Low Country | Registered: October 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I have a Marlin XT22 the does great, and tube fed at that. It was perfect during the lean times of 22lr when I could still shoot the shorts and CBS still on the shelf.

Houston Texas, if the heat don't kill ya, the skeeters will.

Posts: 359 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: September 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
addicted to trailing-throttle oversteer
posted Hide Post
The CZ, far and away. And if the CZ isn't an option, then I'd pick a Savage Mark II youth over the Ruger. The QC of the Ruger is sadly inconsistent from rifle-to-rifle. I don't doubt that they all shoot (well, maybe I don't), but some of the actions on the guns that we see coming in seem as if they're hewn by an unsharpened axe given how coarse and noisy the bolt travel is. For only a little more money you're into a vastly superior 455 Scout.

Posts: 8983 | Location: Drippin' wet | Registered: April 18, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Sounds like the 455 scout has quite the consensus!

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posting without pants
Picture of KevinCW
posted Hide Post
WHy don't you just borrow my 10/22? It is synthetic stock and very, very light. You can just load 1 or 2 round in the mag.

Or if you REALLY want... I'll trade you straight up for your new SCAR17. You won't even have to add cash! Cool

Strive to live your life so when you wake up in the morning and your feet hit the floor, the devil says "Oh crap, he's up."

Posts: 33287 | Location: St. Louis MO | Registered: February 15, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by mutedblade:
quote:
Originally posted by newmexican:
I sort of think that people recommending a 455 over a 77/22 are doing shout out of jealousy since they can’t get their hands on a 77/22......of course it joking.......sort of......

Or we just read what the OP posted.

quote:
Originally posted by ShneaSIG:
Friends,

The happy day that I get to introduce my little girl to shooting is approaching! I should be able to buy or borrow from my dad the old Marlin youth model single-shot .22 bolt action rifle that I learned to shoot with. But, that gun is in rough shape, and may not be worth rehabbing.

So, if I want to start fresh, and get a .22lr bolt gun to use to teach my baby girl the fundamentals, what would you recommend?

Nothing indicates he's looking for an adult sized gun there. While Ruger does offer a more compact 22, it's not the 77/22. The CZ does exactly what the OP is asking with the ability to grow with the shooter. There is nothing that would keep a person from getting a 455 Scout and turning it into a 17 HMR American at a later date. All that would be needed is the barrel and stock which can be had with relative ease, plus the 455 has about .5" less length of pull as compared to the Ruger American compact. Think it's about a 1/4 pound lighter too. Doesn't sound like much, but for a dainty little girl, it may make all the difference in the world Wink

Otherwise, your 77/22 recommendation is solid. Beautiful guns!

Read the OP completely before posting ??!?!?!....that’s crazy talk.

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post