SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    SigForum Friends - Recommend a .22lr bolt gun for me, please
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

SigForum Friends - Recommend a .22lr bolt gun for me, please Login/Join 
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted
Friends,

The happy day that I get to introduce my little girl to shooting is approaching! I should be able to buy or borrow from my dad the old Marlin youth model single-shot .22 bolt action rifle that I learned to shoot with. But, that gun is in rough shape, and may not be worth rehabbing.

So, if I want to start fresh, and get a .22lr bolt gun to use to teach my baby girl the fundamentals, what would you recommend?

-ShneaSIG

Oh, by the way, which one's "Pink?"

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ruger American compact. Rear part of stock is easy to swap as they grow. Good sights, easy to mount scope or dot, uses 10/22 mags. Might as well get on that is threaded whether you have a can yet or not.

https://ruger.com/products/ame...eCompact/models.html

My little boy loves his.

Posts: 3718 | Registered: August 13, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
In a similar position (my daughter is 7) I bought a CZ 455 Scout.

http://cz-usa.com/product/cz-455-scout/

There's a lot to like about it.

It comes with a reduced-size, but not absolutely tiny, stock (12" length of pull - my tall 7-year-old didn't have any trouble, but I can also shoot it without feeling like it's a toy gun) and a 16.5" barrel. The barrel is threaded if you have a suppressor. It comes with a decent barrel-mounted notch sight with hooded front blade, and dovetails on the receiver for scope rings. The trigger is surprisingly good. The CZ455 platform is modular, so you can easily swap in a full-size stock or longer barrel later. I haven't shot it for accuracy, but it's certainly accurate enough for plinking and learning to shoot. It comes with a single-shot adapter (basically a dummy magazine with a little feed chute) and a magazine and you can get magazines from 5 to 25 rounds. It's also not terrible expensive, at $339 MSRP.

So much for the pros, what about the cons?

There aren't a lot. I don't like the safety. I don't like that it's mounted on the bolt shroud, and to me, it's backwards (the forward position is safe). The action functions perfectly, but operating the bolt isn't as smooth as I like.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
With bad intent
posted Hide Post
455 Scout, I have 2 with Fastfires on them.

Posts: 7912 | Location: One step ahead of you | Registered: February 10, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
For real?
Picture of Chowser
posted Hide Post
I got my son the Ruger American Rimfire suppressor ready version. It shares mags with his 10/22.

Not minority enough!

Posts: 7993 | Location: Cleveland, OH | Registered: August 09, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
My brother-in-law has a synthetic stocked Marlin 22lr bolt rifle. The tiny (7rd?) magazine is the only 'complaint' I had with it.

Another option is something like the Cricket? Single-shot, safety & bolt lock.
My sister gave my girls hers when she got a 10/22. Looking forward to taking them to the range with it.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15154 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
CZ 513 Basic (farmer) predecessor to the 452 and 455. Nice "basic" rifle. No threaded barrel though.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
I'm liking the youth models that I'm seeing which have single shot conversions as well as magazines.

I also see tube-fed bolt actions from Marlin. That's intriguing. Anyone have any experience with those models?

-ShneaSIG

Posts: 11059 | Location: MO | Registered: November 19, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Age Quod Agis
Picture of ArtieS
posted Hide Post
If you can find one, get a Ruger 77/22. It's an heirloom quality .22 and will feel like a real rifle.

If you don't want to spend that kind of coin, the CZs look nice, as does the Ruger American.

"I vowed to myself to fight against evil more completely and more wholeheartedly than I ever did before. . . . That’s the only way to pay back part of that vast debt, to live up to and try to fulfill that tremendous obligation."

Alfred Hornik, Sunday, December 2, 1945 to his family, on his continuing duty to others for surviving WW II.

Posts: 12748 | Location: Central Florida | Registered: November 02, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
CZ 455 Scout

I did a bunch of research for when it's time with my son.

Why I narrowed to this one:
- Bolt gun capable of Single load or mag fed.
- Scout stock with short LOP
- Can add a regular stock later for full size rifle.
- Iron sights
- Can convert to 22 WMR or 17 HMR for around $150 if wanted.
- Comes threaded so I can use my 22LR can. (Son's ears are sensitive)

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8838 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
:^)
Picture of BillyBonesNY
posted Hide Post
CZ can't be beat for the quality or price.
Not the deal they once we're, they can be had for a good price.

I'd take CZ over a Ruger any day.
Ruger rimfire bolt prices are expensive.

Very good rifle, the CZ is a charm.

Other than that, I tend to like the vintage Remington, Winchester and Marlin bolts just fine.

Savage makes an extraordinary bolt. 22 or, so I have heard. No experince with them.

Good luck with your search!

----------------------------------------
http://lonesurvivorfoundation.org

Posts: 7177 | Registered: March 19, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Made from a
different mold
Picture of mutedblade
posted Hide Post
In case nobody has mentioned it....CZ! Wink Big Grin

Can't be beat in terms of accuracy, build quality, durability, and sheer cool factor for the price. The newest model is the 455 which is switch barrel capable. The Scout has a shorter stock which allows young shooters to get comfortable, but you can actually put the action into any CZ 455 compatible stock. A lot of folks find a CZ American stock to put the action into once the shooter gets older/bigger. Also makes one hell of a squirrel gun with an adult sized stock. Bought my daughter a 452 Scout years back and critters had better stay well beyond 100 yards of me when I have it in my hands.

Here is what my daughter can do at 50 yards with her scoped CZ.

As for the bolts being rough on the CZ: The newer 455 is rougher than the older 452. Not quite as refined, but still serviceable. A bit of time with a dremel, felt polishing wheel, and some Flitz turns them into buttery smooth goodness. The safety is backwards as hell and very stiff when new. Gets easier to work the more you use it.

Posts: 2825 | Location: Lake Anna, VA | Registered: May 07, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of SigSentry
posted Hide Post
Or you could find another Marlin. I found a 981t at a local pawn. I tend to check out 22lr rifles more than handguns these days.

Posts: 3484 | Registered: May 30, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of mark60
posted Hide Post
I just picked up a CZ455 last week ago and it's a very nice rifle. It's my first CZ but probably not my last.

Posts: 3438 | Location: God Awful New York | Registered: July 01, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Just mobilize it
posted Hide Post
I have an old marlin 881 I believe. Have an inexpensive scope on it and it’s an absolute tack driver and smooth to operate. Very nice build quality on these old Marlins.

Posts: 4608 | Registered: July 24, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
E tan e epi tas
Picture of cslinger
posted Hide Post
CZ without a second thought.

"Guns are tools. The only weapon ever created was man."

Posts: 7632 | Location: On the water | Registered: July 25, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
In my opinion the 77/22 is pretty much the best thing out there. The CZ455 is nice but I prefer the magazine system of the 77/22 any day of the week and twice on Sunday. It’s the same magazine as the 10/22.

I’ve found my 77/22 to be more than accurate enough and it’s pretty much a full size rifle so it dosent feel like a toy like my old 10/22 did. My only regret is that I passed on a stainless synthetic model thinking I’d get one later, then Ruger discontinued it, I had to settle for a blued synthetic model.

I’ve got a leupold vx1 rimfire 2-7x28 on it and it’s an awesome rig, lots of envy from all my friends that shoot or handle it.

I sort of think that people recommending a 455 over a 77/22 are doing shout out of jealousy since they can’t get their hands on a 77/22......of course it joking.......sort of......

Posts: 5082 | Location: Alaska | Registered: June 12, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Savage Little Rascal. Using 2 of them with my 8 grandkids. (Only one child shoots at a time.) Very short stock for little ones.

Posts: 137 | Location: Florida | Registered: August 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Repressed
Picture of ShneaSIG
posted Hide Post
Small and light, with a short length of pull will be preferable. My little one is rather petite and is probably going to remain so.

I'm getting excited, even though her first range trip is probably a year away. Big Grin

-ShneaSIG

Picture of fyimo
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 455 American Combo rifle with 2 barrels a 22LR and a 17 HMR barrel.

Freedom Is Not Free And Is Paid For By Our Military.
VFW Member
NRA Life Member 042722999
SWCA

Posts: 9186 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: July 21, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post