SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Accurate light or pencil profile AR barrels (14.5")
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Accurate light or pencil profile AR barrels (14.5") Login/Join 
Web Clavin Extraordinaire
Picture of Oat_Action_Man
posted
Whose LW or pencil AR barrels (14.5" length specifically) are the most accurate?

Does one have to go Noveske to get the best results?

----------------------------

Chuck Norris put the laughter in "manslaughter"

Educating the youth of America, one declension at a time.

Posts: 19837 | Location: SE PA | Registered: January 12, 2001Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
Noveske bbls aren't what they used to be.

I would look at Daniel Defense for a quality bbl, or Ballistic Advantage's Hanson series if DD is too much $$$.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Bolt Thrower
Picture of Voshterkoff
posted Hide Post
Faxon will be my first place to dig into when it comes time to replace my BCM barrel.

Posts: 9947 | Location: Woodinville, WA | Registered: March 30, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
My Faxon 10.5" barrel on my SBR is very accurate, it's a pencil profile.

I'm getting ready to buy a Faxon GUNNER in 18" for a KISS rifle build.

So far I have nothing but good things to say about the Faxon barrel, and they are a good value.

ARman

Posts: 3146 | Registered: May 19, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
16" BCM pencil bbl on my build. Can't recall if I've had out past about the 25yd limit at the LGS indoor range, but accurate enough for me with Magpul MBUS.

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15150 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
fugitive from reality
Picture of SgtGold
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Oat_Action_Man:
Whose LW or pencil AR barrels (14.5" length specifically) are the most accurate?

Does one have to go Noveske to get the best results?

Define accurate. I'm not trying to start trouble, but accuracy is going to vary from barrel to barrel, and from company to company. How much is good enough?

Posts: 7069 | Location: Newyorkistan | Registered: March 28, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of myrottiety
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ARman:
My Faxon 10.5" barrel on my SBR is very accurate, it's a pencil profile.

I'm getting ready to buy a Faxon GUNNER in 18" for a KISS rifle build.

So far I have nothing but good things to say about the Faxon barrel, and they are a good value.

ARman

We have similar taste. I've got a 10.5" faxon. That's where I think I'll get my AR barrels from now on. I think best "bang for buck". Either there or Ballistic Advantage. If I'm going to step it up in cost from there. I'd go super high end like a Kreiger and shoot match ammo or reloads.

Train how you intend to Fight

Remember - Training is not sparring. Sparring is not fighting. Fighting is not combat.

Posts: 8837 | Location: Woodstock, GA | Registered: August 04, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
My two BCM barrels, a 16” BFH Lightweight is very nice, as is the ELW flutted 11.5”.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

I'm missing something here. Why do you say that? Did QC go south after John Noveske's death or something?

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Administrator
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bald1:
quote:
Originally posted by LDD:

I'm missing something here. Why do you say that? Did QC go south after John Noveske's death or something?

John used to be a barrel maker at PacNor before he started out on his own. When he was at Noveske, he made sure the barrels were done right.

Since his untimely departure, my understanding is that PacNor no longer makes Noveske's barrels, and it's been that way for some time.

I can speak from experience that we had a gentleman come in with an 16 stainless Noveske bbl that shot 3MOA with match ammo, and sent it back. He came to us to have it replaced. This was a couple years after John had passed away. The customer sent his factory upper back to Noveske and they claimed it was entirely in spec. Some of my fellow employees have had mediocre experiences Noveske barrels as well.

With the number of quality barrel manufacturers out there, Noveske is no longer the only game in town for good barrels.

Posts: 17733 | Registered: August 12, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
always with a hat or sunscreen
Picture of bald1
posted Hide Post
LDD, thanks for the clarification. Sad really.

Certifiable member of the gun toting, septuagenarian, bucket list workin', crazed retiree, bald is beautiful club!
USN (RET), COTEP #192

Posts: 16146 | Location: Black Hills of South Dakota | Registered: June 20, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post
Agreed. I love my 14.5" Noveske, purchased shortly before his death. Shoots great.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Chris Anchor
posted Hide Post
My goto rifle is a Spikes with their 14.5" barrel. You really don't want to be the target, it's sweet shooter. Chris

Posts: 1832 | Location: Cecil Co. Maryland | Registered: January 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Poacher
posted Hide Post
Take a look at Balistic Advantage, they are part of Aero Precision and make some very nice barrels.

NRA Life Member

"Do what you can, with what you have, where you are." Teddy Roosevelt

Posts: 2242 | Location: Newnan, GA USA | Registered: January 24, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
i have a new in wrapper cold hammer forged 14.5" Daniel Defense barrel I can make you a good deal on. I'd say its right up there with the best and as good/better than most shooters. Pm me if interested.

Posts: 205 | Location: United States | Registered: February 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post