SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    I Forgot The Joy of Shooting a Light Weight Rifle
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I Forgot The Joy of Shooting a Light Weight Rifle Login/Join 
Picture of caneau
posted
Today I took a brand new AR build out. My last few have resulted in some pretty weighty but very accurate guns, sometimes over 10 lbs. with optics. Great for the bench but hard to shoot standing or kneeling.

So this one was different. 14.5" lightweight Daniel Defense barrel with a Spike's BAR II titanium barrel nut handguard. Nothing too crazy besides that -- JP Rifles standard weight BCG, billet lower and forged BCM upper, heavy buffer, RRA 2-Stage Trigger, and a permanently mounted AAC 51T brake/flash hider. More on that last one later.

Total weight without the sling: 6.2 lbs.

I've heard of 5 lbs. rifles and I can see how it could be done without SBRing -- different muzzle device, lighter upper and lower, ligher BCG, carbon fiber handguard, light buffer, no iron sights, etc. But you lose a lot of reliability and functionality that way. It would also cost a lot more Big Grin

So how does she shoot? Brilliantly. Incredibly pointable and easy to shoot even with iron sights. Almost like shooting a pistol. Optics arrive tomorrow so that should make her even more fun.

Oh, and the AAC muzzle device? Shoots 18" flames to each side. Rattles the windows at the range. Gets disapproving looks from all other shooters. I think I might need some kind of blast shield if I don't want to be "that guy."

This message has been edited. Last edited by: caneau,

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Green grass and
high tides
Picture of old rugged cross
posted Hide Post
Especially in that platform and caliber. Light and simple is the best.

"Practice like you want to play in the game"

Posts: 19111 | Registered: September 21, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go ahead punk, make my day
posted Hide Post

I like lightweight ARs but like you I don't go crazy as I want it to still be durable, etc. So 6-8 lbs is fine with me.

Posts: 45798 | Registered: July 12, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of caneau
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RHINOWSO:

I like lightweight ARs but like you I don't go crazy as I want it to still be durable, etc. So 6-8 lbs is fine with me.

Fixed.

Posts: 5326 | Location: The Virginia side of DC | Registered: February 20, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
I have a lightweight build that’s pretty fun.
It’s a Faxon gunner profile 16” barrel with a Midwest industries ultra light handguard.

It’s 5 lbs 13 oz. it’s super light with a red dot. I might put an ACOG on it because other than HD, I don’t really like shooting with no magnification.

I have put a couple of LPVOs on it. The worst fit was a non E razor. It was so top heavy it felt unwieldy.

I may try to get in to a VX6 1-6 or maybe a Trijicon accupoint 1-4. They seem to be the lightest LPVOs.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post