SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Refinish or replace new Ruger 10/22 stock?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Refinish or replace new Ruger 10/22 stock? Login/Join 
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted
Santa came a little early with a new Ruger 10/22 - the basic carbine model. The stock is new but not exactly high quality. It's thicker on one side of the barrel band and on the rear it has sharp, rough shoulders on top and plastic buttplate that's a bit jagged.

The price was crazy low, so still a great deal, but I am considering improvements.

Has anyone ever resanded and finished one of these so it looks factory? I'm worried the wood may be inconsistent and not take finish well.

Should I just watch for a deal on a deluxe walnut stock?

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
If you're gonna be a
bear, be a Grizzly!
Picture of Todd Huffman
posted Hide Post
If it were me, I'd pick up a Hogue stock for it. Unless you really like a wood stock, that is.

Here's to the sunny slopes of long ago.

Posts: 3633 | Location: Morganton, NC | Registered: December 31, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shoevb
posted Hide Post
I would get a Hogue or Magpul stock for it.

Posts: 1215 | Location: Hampton Roads | Registered: February 13, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I’d get a Magpul Hunter X22 stock.

Posts: 282 | Registered: March 18, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
You're going to feel
a little pressure...
posted Hide Post
If it's that badly done, email pics to Ruger and ask for a replacement or an upgrade to the deluxe stock.
Can't hurt.

Bruce

"The designer of the gun had clearly not been instructed to beat about the bush. 'Make it evil,' he'd been told. 'Make it totally clear that this gun has a right end and a wrong end. Make it totally clear to anyone standing at the wrong end that things are going badly for them. If that means sticking all sort of spikes and prongs and blackened bits all over it then so be it. This is not a gun for hanging over the fireplace or sticking in the umbrella stand, it is a gun for going out and making people miserable with." -Douglas Adams

“It is just as difficult and dangerous to try to free a people that wants to remain servile as it is to try to enslave a people that wants to remain free."
-Niccolo Machiavelli

The trouble with fighting for human freedom is that one spends most of one's time defending scoundrels. For it is against scoundrels that oppressive laws are first aimed, and oppression must be stopped at the beginning if it is to be stopped at all. -Mencken

Posts: 4245 | Location: AK-49 | Registered: October 06, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
Pictures would help.

If you've never refinished a stock, it might be more work than you're up for, but it's not hard. More care and patience than anything else.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A teetotaling
beer aficionado
Picture of NavyGuy
posted Hide Post
Here's one I did a year or so ago. I didn't spend a lot of time on it and have since sold the gun, but I thought it was much better than the factory finish.

Men fight for liberty and win it with hard knocks. Their children, brought up easy, let it slip away again, poor fools. And their grandchildren are once more slaves.

-D.H. Lawrence

Posts: 11524 | Location: Fort Worth, Texas | Registered: February 07, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post