SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Mason's Rifle Room    Question regarding barrels, handguards, and end caps
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question regarding barrels, handguards, and end caps Login/Join 
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted
I'm putting together a 40 cal AR. Looking at handguards and like the looks of the Magpul MOE M-Lok handguard and would like to use it, but:

Since it's a blowback pistol caliber AR I won't have a gas block to hold the end cap in place.

So my question is:

Does anybody make a "bolt on" end cap? One that you would compress around the barrel with screws or something?

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of CandyMan.45
posted Hide Post
people in this situation just mount up the necessary gas block and call it a day...

Posts: 1244 | Location: The Edge of Nowhere... | Registered: April 05, 2013Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CandyMan.45:
people in this situation just mount up the necessary gas block and call it a day...

This.

Although if your barrel isn't drilled for taper pins, by the time you pay to add the front sight base and buy the MOE handguards, you could have just bought an MLOK free float handguard.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
This would probably be a good project for somebody with a 3d printer. Wish I knew somebody with one.

Posts: 11159 | Location: Big Sky Country | Registered: November 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of maladat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Skull Leader:
This would probably be a good project for somebody with a 3d printer. Wish I knew somebody with one.

AR barrels get easily hot enough to melt any plastic usable in a normal consumer 3D printer.

You can just buy a clamp-on FSB instead of one with taper pins.

Posts: 6319 | Location: CA | Registered: January 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
What barrel are you using?

Is there not a 40 cal offering with a FSB installed? There are in the 9mm offerings.

Posts: 14122 | Location: Indiana | Registered: December 04, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Sigless in
Indiana
Picture of IndianaBoy
posted Hide Post
What parts do you already have on hand?

Help! Help!
I'm being repressed!

Picture of Skull Leader
posted Hide Post
I've built my lower and have the stripped upper showing up Tuesday or Wednesday. I haven't ordered anything else yet.

I'm open to whatever barrel would allow me to build the AR I want, but was looking at a New Frontier Armory 8" barrel.

https://www.newfrontierarmory....h-grade-8-ar-barrel/

Although I see other problems popping up. I may just call it and go with a free float.