SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Billy Bob's BangBang Boutique    22lr subsonic
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22lr subsonic Login/Join 
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted
Anyone know where I can find some with good prices? DSG has Gemtech for little over $5 per 50.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Any standard velocity 22 ammo is subsonic funny how the marketing has changed! Some years ago every one seemed to want high velocity and finding standard on a store shelf was rare ( I am talking pre panic neckbeard) now with the growth of suppressor use "subsonic" suppressor ammo is suddenly in demand!

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Any standard velocity 22 ammo is subsonic funny how the marketing has changed! Some years ago every one seemed to want high velocity and finding standard on a store shelf was rare ( I am talking pre panic neckbeard) now with the growth of suppressor use "subsonic" suppressor ammo is suddenly in demand!

"neckbeard"..... Roll Eyes

I guess that includes the masses of Sigforum (and other forum) firearm enthusiasts with fleets of Ruger 10/22s and their Volquartsen, Kidd, and TacSol variants. Or the shooters with threads discussing Savage, Ruger, CZ, and Remington 40X bolt actions. Or Sig 522, M&P 15-22, and conversion & dedicated uppers.

How about pistols -- Sig Mosquito (ugh), S&W 17, S&W 41, Ruger Mark series, Browning Buckmark, Beretta. Or slide conversions -- Sig, Glock, the 1911 kits. There are, and have been, threads galore about these firearms.

How about the threads with descriptions & pictures of the tens of thousands of rounds of 22lr ammo horded in basements. I must claim to be part of the problem.

How about competitors who realize that the best of the best shoot tens of thousands of rounds per year. Those of us who can't afford that much center fire ammo are re-balancing our practice sessions to more rimfire ammo.

Sure, the growth of suppressors has helped to increase 22lr ammo demand. So has the large number of 22lr firearms sold during the past 8-9 years. Recurring panic cycles have resulted in large swings in ammo availability and pricing.

I submit that we -- the enthusiast gun owners, shooters, competitors, collectors, and hoarders -- have done more to mess up the 22lr ammo market than any one fringe buying group could ever conceive to do in their wildest dreams. Blame it on "the others" if you will, but a quick trip to a mirror will reveal the real culprits.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Music's over turn
out the lights
Picture of David W
posted Hide Post
I have shot CCI standard velocity, Eley Tenex, target, match, Midas etc. and the Gemtech subsonic ammo is noticeable quieter through my can.

David W.

Rather fail with honor than succeed by fraud. -Sophocles

Posts: 3636 | Location: Winston Salem, N.C. | Registered: May 30, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by David W:
I have shot CCI standard velocity, Eley Tenex, target, match, Midas etc. and the Gemtech subsonic ammo is noticeable quieter through my can.

The review of ammo by Legal Silencers states there is no appreciable sound level difference between CCI Standard and Gemtech. See http://www.legalsilencer.com/?p=80

It makes sense to me that CCI Standard and Gemtech subsonic have the same noise levels. Gemtech's MV is listed at 1,020 fps -- I haven't shot it. CCI standard produces 1,060 MV in my rifle, and I know my rifle has a fast barrel, MV is maybe 40-50 fps more than is expected for match ammo. As a result, I push into supersonic levels with a number of so-called subsonic match ammo types. Most of RWS ammo is on the ragged edge of supersonic for me, as is Eley Club (orange box).

I haven't shot Gemtech, but I can hear that unsuppressed CCI Standard is a bit quieter than my Eley/Lapua/RWS/Wolf ammo that has MVs in the 1,100 to 1,140 fps range, which is just barely below Mach 1.0 in my neck of the woods. Even though all types of subsonic ammo will not produce a supersonic crack, ammo with MVs 100-150 fps slower than Mach 1.0 should produce lower noise levels than ammo with MVs 10-50fps slower than Mach 1.0. And this should occur whether or not the firearm is suppressed.

posted Hide Post
A lot of the locals use the yellow/blue box .22 ammo from Academy.
It's marked Aquila????? Some of the boxes are marked subsonic, and others say standard velocity.

Posts: 19 | Registered: April 05, 2017Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Jack226:
It's marked Aquila????? Some of the boxes are marked subsonic, and others say standard velocity.

Same thing -- muzzle velocity is below Mach 1. MV is probably a little over 1,000 fps in most rifles, and no more than 1,100 fps in even the fastest barrels.