SIGforum
22LR. You have got to be kidding me!!!!

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/603106699/m/3750070974

January 27, 2021, 07:31 PM
1flynDO
22LR. You have got to be kidding me!!!!
175.00 dollars for a single 500 round brick!!! I have never seen that kind of crazy in my life. Not even sandy hook!
January 27, 2021, 07:47 PM
sunburn
High end match ammo is regularly priced above that.
But for plinking ammo? A bit high

Lick the lollipop of mediocrity once and you suck forever.
January 27, 2021, 08:09 PM
1flynDO
It was the Remington thunderbolt. I mean come on. That is crazy. Some idiot will pay though and then it will be 200.00
January 27, 2021, 08:24 PM
ugeesta
Hey, that’s a bargain compared to what the idiots are paying for 9mm.

Hope all this stuff settled back down in a couple years.

We will never know world peace, until three people can simultaneously look each other straight in the eye

Liberals are like pussycats and Twitter is Trump's laser pointer to keep them busy while he takes care of business - Rey HRH.
January 28, 2021, 10:44 AM
grumpy1
I am in pretty good shape ammo wise including 22LR but then early last fall after over a decade of trying to get my wife interested in shooting she suddenly decides to try it an loves it. She primarily shoots our Browning Buckmark.

So I decide I better get some more 22LR with her shooting too now. LGS had pretty good stock level with limit on a brick per day. I was able to pick up a decent amount in the 5-6 cents a round range. Then their supply dried up just before the election and prices went up. I was able to get 2K from Midway on Augilla SE 38 gr for 8 cents a round in late December. Since then 22LR has been very slim pickings for anything reasonably priced and most
online sellers are selling it for crazy prices as OP mentioned.

Early last December I stopped at local Walmart because I was driving right by and was pleasantly surprised they had Winchester Super-X 40 grain in the red plastic box of 100 for 8.5 cents a round and bought ten of them. I have stopped by a few times since then and nothing other than CCI CB caps but will continue to stop in while I am driving by. At very least I get a couple Snicker bars at the self check out on the way out. Big Grin
January 30, 2021, 05:57 PM
HuskySig
quote:
Originally posted by ugeesta:
Hope all this stuff settled back down in a couple years.

I thought and said the same thing back in 2009, but it never really did. People were hoarding ammo. I figured that with the state of the economy, there were going to be deals to be had when people realized they couldn't feed their families with the cases of ammo they purchased instead of food. I was wrong and the deals never materialized. Now, with all of the first time gun owners who are in the mix, I don't think things will stabilize and as whispers of new gun laws start to spread the prices will only increase.

Too bad I was a poor grad student 15 years ago when 115gr Federal American Eagle was only $0.10-$0.12 per round. If only I had the means and foresight then, I could be sitting on quite the retirement nest egg! Wink
January 30, 2021, 06:53 PM
bustabuddy
A buddy in Dallas called today and said a show he attended had vendors who WERE SELLING .22LR bricks for .30 per round. That's $150 per brick! I accused him of pulling my leg.

Later, another friend called and said he had been to Louisiana and the Beaumont area at 2 shows today and said he couldn't believe what he saw. First, there was not a lot of ammo to be had. But .243 and 30-30 were going for $4 per round. I asked him about 22LR. He said $125 per brick. Crazy.
January 31, 2021, 10:47 AM
randyman
You know it's a sad time when .22 is more expensive than 9mm was a year ago. A friend was asking me where to find 9mm. I told him to check out GB, but also advised him to have a stiff drink and a box of Scotties tissues ready.
February 03, 2021, 05:12 PM
captain127
Went to a gun show last weekend. Garden variety plinking ammo was $100 a brick.
I just bought some high end match ammo ( eley) for less than that.
If I am going to spend $75+ bucks for a brick it might as well be the good stuff.
Friend messaged me earlier today. Local cal ranch had aguila $3 per box limit one box per customer!
Cal ranch and wal mart in my area is hit and miss about 1 trip out of 4 they have some in stock at pre panic price.
Winchester and Remington quality is pretty bad, but even I relented and bought a couple boxes of the red 100 round plastic Winchester packs
February 03, 2021, 08:41 PM
iron chef
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:
Winchester and Remington quality is pretty bad, but even I relented and bought a couple boxes of the red 100 round plastic Winchester packs

You consider Winchester Super-X to be bad? I thought most ppl consider it comparable to Mini-Mag.

Lately I've seen 100rd boxes of Remington Golden Bullet priced the same as Mini-Mag. There's no question which one I'd select.
March 07, 2021, 03:21 PM
LS1 GTO
quote:
Originally posted by 1flynDO:
175.00 dollars for a single 500 round brick!!! I have never seen that kind of crazy in my life. Not even sandy hook!

Cheaper Than Dirt?

Life moves pretty fast. If you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it.

Only in an insane world are the sane considered insane.

The memories of a man in his old age
Are the deeds of a man in his prime

March 07, 2021, 06:17 PM
1flynDO
Nope. Gun brokerage and it sold
March 08, 2021, 04:51 PM
divil
The $175 per brick is a sin. The fact that it was thunderbolt makes it an exponential sin.
March 11, 2021, 08:59 PM
captain127
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
quote:
Originally posted by captain127:

You consider Winchester Super-X to be bad? I thought most ppl consider it comparable to Mini-Mag.
Not even close. Misfires, variable report/ power, reports of blown case heads

Lately I've seen 100rd boxes of Remington Golden Bullet priced the same as Mini-Mag. There's no question which one I'd select.

March 13, 2021, 10:44 AM
patw
At that price, it almost makes me want to sell some of mine.
March 31, 2021, 03:16 PM
grumpy1
I stopped by local Walmart today coming home from getting my first Covid 19 vaccination shot and they had a single box of Winchester 333 bulk for $18.88 so I bought it. I was talking to the friendly guy who checked me out and asked him if they get much 22LR ammo in these days such as CCI Mini Mags and he said they do get some in but it never makes it to the self because some guy would always buy all of it but then he smiled and said that Walmart now has a 3 box limit on total ammo purchases and 22LR ammo stays on the shel a lot longer.

So anyone lookng for 22LR ammo may want to check out their local Walmart from time to time as it sounds like there may be a better chance of finding some now that they have a limit on what can be bought.
April 18, 2021, 03:41 PM
grumpy1
Anyone seeing any 22LR ammo at Walmart recently and if so how often? While I do most my shopping at Meijer I do stop in either of two Walmarts in my immediate driving are maybe a couple times a week to buy odds and ends such as frozen pizza as they have a much better selection than Meijer.

Since my last 22LR purchase at Walmart (03/31/21) I am about 0 for 10 (as of 4/23/21) in seeing any more in stock. I don't go to my LGS that often but I have not seen 22LR there since before Thanksgiving and they are a huge place that used to have pallets of ammo all over the place prior to March 2020.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: grumpy1,
April 18, 2021, 10:06 PM
iron chef
I dropped by a few Walmarts recently. I found some miscellaneous shotgun ammo but no 22LR.
April 30, 2021, 12:37 PM
grumpy1
I was able to buy the last 2 CCI Mini Mag 36gr 100 packs at local Walmart yesterday at about 11:00 AM so I am 1 for 11 in recent ammo checks at Walmart for month of April.

The lady that checked me out said to another WM employee "well that is the last of them". I asked if they get 22LR ammo in very often and she laughed "hardly ever".

Wife and I went to range at LGS on Tuesday and their situation was not much better than in recent past. They did have a few .40 for sale for $35 a box of 50 but lots of 5.56 per usual but high priced. ZERO 22LR ammo. We had to buy box of 50 Magtech from the range for wife to try out a couple rentals and that was $28 for the box. I think we are still at least a few years away from getting anywhere near back to normal as far as available supply and pricing. I know Vista Outdoors is going 24/7 but we have to keep in mind they sell product to THOUSANDS of ammo sellers who provide ammo for tens of millions of shooters.
April 30, 2021, 05:45 PM
sgalczyn
Just had 2 bricks of EleyTarget delivered today ordered 3 months ago from CMP - $75/BRICK.

"No matter where you go - there you are"