SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Billy Bob's BangBang Boutique    .22 LR ammo avail now at SGAmmo
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.22 LR ammo avail now at SGAmmo Login/Join 
Truth Wins
Picture of Micropterus
posted
https://www.sgammo.com/catalog...mmunition/22-lr-ammo

Posts: 4285 | Location: In The Swamp | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
That price! Holy crap

"Modern medicine exists to defeat Darwinism" - Anonymous 18D

Posts: 711 | Location: Land of Scarlet and Gray | Registered: October 01, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
You weren't kidding. Eek

$149.95 for 800rd Federal Blue Box. Makes me wonder where they're getting their ammo. Are they paying retail prices? That same box is $72.99 at Federal's website when in stock.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
That same box is $72.99 at Federal's website when in stock.

If it is in stock. Maybe. Could be just a suggested pre-panic retail price -- a practice which occurs on some websites when they are out of stock.

Go to ammoseek.com, search for 22lr in 40 grain.
- 96 items currently up for sale.
- Lowest price is 17.9 cents per round.
- Fourth lowest price is 18.7 cents per round, for the Federal ammo from SGAmmo.
- I ballpark the median price at roughly 30 cents per round.
- Highest price is $1.39 per round.

Over the years, throughout many panics, SGAmmo has been one of the reasonable distributors.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Unapologetic Old
School Curmudgeon
Picture of Lord Vaalic
posted Hide Post
The "if" in stock is the main problem.

This ammo crunch seems like the worst one so far that Ive seen, there just isnt squat anywhere.

Don't weep for the stupid, or you will be crying all day

Posts: 10719 | Location: TN | Registered: December 18, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:
quote:
Originally posted by iron chef:
That same box is $72.99 at Federal's website when in stock.

If it is in stock. Maybe. Could be just a suggested pre-panic retail price -- a practice which occurs on some websites when they are out of stock.

Go to ammoseek.com, search for 22lr in 40 grain.
- 96 items currently up for sale.
- Lowest price is 17.9 cents per round.
- Fourth lowest price is 18.7 cents per round, for the Federal ammo from SGAmmo.
- I ballpark the median price at roughly 30 cents per round.
- Highest price is $1.39 per round.

Over the years, throughout many panics, SGAmmo has been one of the reasonable distributors.

$72.99 is nowhere near pre-Covid price. It was more like $48. Federal didn't start doing direct online sales until the middle of last year, so their retail site wouldn't have pre-panic prices to reference.

As late as Aug 2020, I was still buying Federal Blue Box 22LR for $2.67 per 50rd box at Walmart. I didn't want to rub it in, but I bought one of those 800rd Blue Boxes at Academy for $59.99 less than two weeks ago.

A lot of ammo flippers use bots to buy up the good ammo deals from Federal, Sig, etc, within minutes they are posted in-stock. I know SGAmmo has a good reputation, but it wouldn't surprise me if they bought ammo this way or sent employees to buy at Academy. SGAmmo is based in OK, and Academy has a strong presence there, including a store in Stillwater where SGAmmo is based.

Posts: 3172 | Location: Texas | Registered: June 17, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Well, I guess you better stick to Academy. Buy all the ammo you can.

Probably should call the folks and SGAmmo and state you know the nefarious acts they're up to. While you're at it, narrow your search on ammoseek.com to Federal 22lr. Then get on the horn to the other folks listing the same Federal ammo at 20 cents to 31.9 cents per round. Heck, those folks might even be buying their ammo from SGAmmo. Must be lots of people turning a profit.

Posts: 7852 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
Joke's on you. Roll Eyes

I don't particularly care where sellers get their ammo as long as they get it legally and under equal opportunity. I believe in the free market and letting price be determined by what the market will bear.

I do have a problem w/ resellers who use bots to bypass per-customer limits, be it ammo, concert tickets, or PlayStation 5s. That's something that isn't necessarily illegal but is unethical.

SGAmmo has a reputation for good prices, so I was shocked to see their price on Federal Blue Box, but as it turns out, it is in line w/ online market value.

posted Hide Post
With a 2 box limit at Academy, do you really think SGammo has the employees and time to send them there so they can advertise ammo online?

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of iron chef
posted Hide Post
SGAmmo is a small operation - about 10 employees - not unlike a LGS. I highly doubt they'd send employees to go to Academy to buy ammo while they're on the clock, but it wouldn't surprise me if they had an agreement along the lines of, "If you, your family member, et al. bring in an 800rd box of Federal 22LR, we'll give you $80 for it."

I know some LGSs around me who resell ammo they bought at Academy, so I don't think it's such a big stretch to think SG might be doing the same. A hypothetical $70 profit on $80 invested is pretty good.

Picture of grumpy1
posted Hide Post
From time to time Midway has "decent these days" prices like 10-11 cents a round on Augila 22LR. So it may be worth setting up alerts for Augila Super Extra varieties.

Posts: 9730 | Location: Northern Illinois | Registered: March 20, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post