SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Billy Bob's BangBang Boutique    Speer Gold Dot 64 gr. .223 BJSP - $0.50/round @ Palmetto State Armory
Page 1 2 3 4 5 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Speer Gold Dot 64 gr. .223 BJSP - $0.50/round @ Palmetto State Armory Login/Join 
Spinnin' Chain
Picture of Expat
posted Hide Post
Still in stock. Minus 15.

Posts: 3240 | Location: Oregun | Registered: August 02, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Expat:
Still in stock. Minus 15.

Ditto

Posts: 10055 | Registered: October 15, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
It's now the 55gr for $10/bx, expires midnight on the 15th:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...unition-20rds-24446/

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
64 gr is still available at $9.99 also. Just scored a case.

Posts: 2689 | Location: Orlando Area | Registered: February 04, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
I’ve been a little leery of the 55 grain Gold Dot, but never made any effort to research the round. This is one description I found here, and which says much the same as the manufacturer’s site.

“According to the ATK rep, this bullet was created to meet the requirements set by ICE (formerly the US Border Patrol). They wanted a round that would still expand at 200 yards when fired through an 11.5 inch barreled carbine. Speer created this bullet by bonding a very thin jacket to the hollowpoint (sic*) lead core. The thin jacket facilitates rapid expansion while the bonding helps keep the bullet in one piece after it travels through an intermediate barrier.”

*(Based on the other Gold Dot loads and the images I could find, I doubt that the bullet is a hollowpoint design.)

Based on that and an additional quick search now, it seems to be about what I expected: It’s designed to expand quickly even at lower velocities, for example at long ranges and when fired from short barrels. Like the 64 grain GD load, it evidently expands like other soft point bullets rather than tumbling and fragmenting, which is also a benefit (I believe) at lower velocities. It also retains the ability to penetrate reasonably well because of its bonded design. One comment noted that it would be suitable for guns with 1/12 inch rifling rates because of its shorter bullet.

It seems to me that it would be good as a self-defense load for individuals who wanted better performance through barriers than the varmint-type plastic tipped bullets or, possibly, even the heavy open tip designs, but without as much penetration as heavier bonded bullets.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47407 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post

Posts: 15907 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
64 gr is still in stock at $9.99:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...ion-20rds-24448.html

Same for 55 gr, same price:

http://palmettostatearmory.com...ion-20rds-24446.html

Free shipping on the 55 gr if you buy 10 or more boxes. No shipping deal on the 64 gr stuff.

"I, however, place economy among the first and most important republican virtues, and public debt as the greatest of the dangers to be feared." Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 1538 | Location: Hartford, AL | Registered: April 05, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of RichardC
posted Hide Post
Thank you.

Posts: 15890 | Location: Florida | Registered: June 23, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Now with free shipping on 10+ boxes of the 64 grain. That's 50 cents/round shipped. Just a ridiculously good deal...

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of sjames
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
Now with free shipping on 10+ boxes of the 64 grain. That's 50 cents/round shipped. Just a ridiculously good deal...

I came to post the same thing! I ordered another 10 boxes...a truly phenomenal deal on great ammo.

Posts: 2505 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: August 22, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Free shipping now?? Must...resist...

Freedom is the
oxygen of the soul
Picture of 10P8TRIOT
posted Hide Post
Free shipping now?? Couldn't resist ... ordered another 10 boxes.

NRA Benefactor Life Member
Μολὼν λαβέ

Posts: 1086 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: December 08, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
Just ordered 10 boxes. My first defensive load for my AR. Looking forward to seeing how they shoot compared to Federal XM193.

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Looking forward to seeing how they shoot compared to Federal XM193.

Trajectory will be functionally identical to M193 out to 250+ yards, and only a deviation of a few inches out at 500+ yards.

Groups should be a bit tighter, due to better consistency between rounds. (Provided you do your part, and your barrel's twist rate is sufficiently fast to stabilize 64 grain bullets.)

Posts: 32503 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Domari Nolo
Picture of Chris17404
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by RogueJSK:
quote:
Originally posted by Chris17404:
Looking forward to seeing how they shoot compared to Federal XM193.

Trajectory will be functionally identical to M193 out to 250+ yards, and only a deviation of a few inches out at 500+ yards.

Groups should be a bit tighter, due to better consistency between rounds. (Provided you do your part, and your barrel's twist rate is sufficiently fast to stabilize 64 grain bullets.)

Thank you. My BCM 16" mid-length, cold hammer forged, lightweight barrel with 1/7" twist does very nicely with the XM193.

Posts: 2336 | Location: York, PA | Registered: May 17, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Yokel
Picture of ontmark
posted Hide Post
Yes I just went thru my email and ordered 10 Boxes on April 20th Price still seems to be good

http://palmettostatearmory.com...sult/?q=gold+dot+223

I almost Shit my pants at the price.

I guess I can rotate my Federal Fusion 64gr to range ammo Big Grin

Beware the man who only has one gun. He probably knows how to use it! - John Steinbeck

Posts: 3878 | Location: Vallejo, CA | Registered: August 18, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the post. I had to get in on this

Posts: 1570 | Location: TEXAS | Registered: August 17, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
They now have 55 grain Gold Dot for the same price, free shipping with an order of 10 boxes.
bb

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
55gr still available for $9.99, 64 gr is finally out of stock (I helped):

http://palmettostatearmory.com...sult/?q=gold+dot+223

posted Hide Post
64 grain back up at .50/rd D&H mags back up. I have seen a run on mags over the last week with most places being depleted of everything but the most expensive ones.
bb

Posts: 381 | Location: East Texas | Registered: June 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post