SIGforum
7.62 x 39 deals currently?

This topic can be found at:
https://sigforum.com/eve/forums/a/tpc/f/603106699/m/3260019924

September 04, 2017, 07:00 PM
Appliance Brad
7.62 x 39 deals currently?
Anyone seeing anything decent on 7.62 non corrosive of late? I ran my stash down to questionable ChiCom stuff and need to refill my ammo cans.

Any leads?

September 04, 2017, 07:16 PM
RogueJSK
About the only corrosive 7.62x39 you'll find in quantity these days is brass-cased Yugoslavian surplus ammo, unless you just happen to find someone selling off some really old stock ammo. So that's not as much of a concern as it used to be. All commercial 7.62x39 these days should be non-corrosive. (Although a few companies have had occasional small runs of corrosive ammo inadvertently make it into the distribution chain in the past 10 years or so, leading to recalls and refunds.)

Right now, there's plenty of commercial steel-cased 7.62x39 FMJ out there at around 20 to 25 cents per round from any of the usual Russian brands (Wolf/Brown Bear/Golden Tiger/Tula/Ulyanovsk/etc.)

My personal choice for 7.62x39 plinking/stockpiling is Golden Tiger. SGAmmo currently has it for $199/1k: http://www.sgammo.com/product/...24-grain-russian-amm

Not only is Golden Tiger slightly more accurate and slightly cleaner in my experience than the other brands of cheap steel cased 7.62x39, it's one of the few brands that's still offering lacquered cases.

Don't let the mall ninjas and self-proclaimed internet gun experts fool you... The whole idea of the lacquer "melting from the heat of firing and gumming up the chamber" is pure internet hysteria. Doesn't happen. And the fact is that lacquered steel cases are better for long term storage.

Unfortunately, many companies have moved away from lacquer to a polymer coating, due to a large percentage of their potential buyers buying into the hype about this made-up problem. I haven't had much luck with the new style of poly-coated steel cases. I've had a couple different brands of poly-coated steel cased ammo develop rust within just a few years, even when stored in ammo cans with dessicant pouches. It was lacquered steel only for me, from then on out.
September 06, 2017, 09:48 PM
Appliance Brad
Thanks. Been happy in the past with dealings with SB, will get some coming.