SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Billy Bob's BangBang Boutique    What do you use for ammo storage beside ammo cans?
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

What do you use for ammo storage beside ammo cans? Login/Join 
The Velvet Voicebox
posted
I like the idea of having my ammo in a centralized location like a warehouse storage cabinet. I have plenty of ammo cans of course, but ammo cans be a bit bulky over time and can be hard to stack. I'm looking at storage cabinets, and they can be expensive, usually because they are 12-14 gauge and each shelf us rated to hold heavy weight. 150lbs up to 1200lbs or even more. What do you use? And nope, not asking for a friend. Smile

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I like to keep mine in the oem boxes so I have a record of the lot numbers. The boxes can be stacked and take up minimal space. I don't have enough wall space for a separate cabinet. My safe is big enough to store the ammo/mags and it's humidified. The safe is in a place with a/c and heat. Everything in one place for range trips once a month.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I have a locker similar to this in my office, which I use for individual boxes:

I also use a heavy duty shelf, similar to this, in a storeroom, which I use to stack cases:

And I have a bunch of ammo cans.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Go Vols!
Picture of Oz_Shadow
posted Hide Post
I have quite a few gallon zip lock bags of loaded ammo. Easy to grab one with a couple hundred and toss it in the range bag.

Posts: 17871 | Location: SE Michigan | Registered: February 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I picked up a couple Stack on gun "safes" for ammo when Walmart put them up for $100 and $149. The 14 gun version that goes for $100 will fit 20,000 rounds of 5.56 in ammo cans. I wouldn't put a gun in one though. Pretty insecure but it really helps keep the ammo cans better organized and not sprawling all over the floor. I put white labels with what's inside on each can. ie, 800 rounds 5.56 M855 etc etc.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Raised Hands Surround Us
Three Nails To Protect Us
Picture of Black92LX
posted Hide Post
I built a platform and put a Tractor Supply Underbed box on it.
https://www.tractorsupply.com/...ody-box?cm_vc=-10005
The top is quite solid so it is used as my work bench.

Solid with a heavy duty locking system and moisture tight.
I have a few ammo cans loaded with multiple calibers for a grab and go scenerio and some strictly by caliber.

But most is just stacked in there by caliber in the factory boxes.

————————————————
The world's not perfect, but it's not that bad.
If we got each other, and that's all we have.
I will be your brother, and I'll hold your hand.
You should know I'll be there for you!

Posts: 25354 | Registered: September 06, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of rexles
posted Hide Post
15 cu ft chest freezer in my basement. Have a golden rod in it to control humidity and it doubles for a nice place to clean and work on guns.

NRA Life member
NRA Certified Instructor
"Our duty is to serve the mission, and if we're not doing that, then we have no right to call what we do service" Marcus Luttrell

Posts: 1110 | Location: Holland, OH | Registered: May 07, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I know this is an old thread, but this is what I use. Job site box from Home Depot. Lined it with felt. Works out very well.

Posts: 2156 | Location: St. Louis | Registered: January 28, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
This is what I decided on. Plenty deep, lockable.

And I have this for accessories, mags, holsters, optics etc, etc.

"All great things are simple, and many can be expressed in single words: freedom, justice, honor, duty, mercy, hope."

--Sir Winston Churchill

"The world is filled with violence. Because criminals carry guns, we decent law-abiding citizens should also have guns. Otherwise they will win and the decent people will lose."

--James Earl Jones

Posts: 7652 | Location: KCMO | Registered: August 31, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Cliff, that should work.

...until you buy a LOT of ammo. Smile

It may be overkill, but I use desiccant in all my GI cans. I'll let others advise you about that. I started a thread on the 40 gram aluminum canister, you may need a whole lot more than that.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8600045944

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
The Velvet Voicebox
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
Cliff, that should work.

...until you buy a LOT of ammo. Smile

It may be overkill, but I use desiccant in all my GI cans. I'll let others advise you about that. I started a thread on the 40 gram aluminum canister, you may need a whole lot more than that.

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/8600045944

I'm working on a LOT of ammo. A retired gunny I knew back in Virginia once told me," Once you have 8-10,000 rounds of each caliber your using stored away,consider that a good start." Storing & locking a shitload of ammo away is a problem I gladly welcome. Even if it means another cabinet.
My basement is cool & dry. I still sprinkle a bunch of desiccant packs in my safes, cabinet, and site boxes.

--Sir Winston Churchill

--James Earl Jones

posted Hide Post
Cliff, you've got mail.

And you can never have too much ammo!

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post