SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Billy Bob's BangBang Boutique    General thoughts on stocking up on ammo these days
Page 1 2 
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

General thoughts on stocking up on ammo these days Login/Join 
posted
I was at a local Dick's Sporting Goods (I know; boo-hiss), but I was there because my son is about to play his senior year of high school baseball and wanted to check things out.

$85 for 240 rounds of Field $ Stream 5.56 = good price and I had a reward zone coupon for $20. But then it occurred to me: with Trump as president, individual states aside (and I live in Virginia), I seriously doubt there will be any run on ammunition anytime soon (years). Besides, I have yet to shoot my Sig enhanced M400 and already have >1K rounds so I took a pass.

So in summary, I don't feel the need to stock-pile ammunition unless I see a really (really) good price.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
We gonna get some
oojima in this house!
Picture of smithnsig
posted Hide Post
Buy low. With the new administration, I don't know how low it will go.

-----------------------------------------------------------
TCB all the time...

Posts: 6501 | Location: Cantonment/Perdido Key, Florida | Registered: September 28, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Smarter than the
average bear
posted Hide Post
I don't think what you quoted is a particularly good price. I agree that the pressure is currently off, and I don't anticipate prices spiking anytime soon. However, that means that now is the time to stock up, if you haven't already. If you wait, you may wait too long.

Use an ammo search engine, like ammoseek, and subscribe to emails from the better suppliers, and you'll see the deals. .223/5.56 brass for $300/1000, and 9mm brass for $200/1000, with free shipping, are realistic at the moment. Maybe a tad better.

Posts: 3424 | Location: Baton Rouge, Louisiana | Registered: June 20, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I agree, and I said it was a good price, not a great price. But if I cut $20 more for my reward card it would be a great price.

My point is: If HRC won the election, it would be a totally different "buying environment". Now? No pressure or sense that things will really go south anytime soon. I'll probably keep picking up rounds when I see a really good in-person opportunity, but I will not be actively looking for them.

Posts: 3531 | Location: Alexandria, VA | Registered: March 07, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
Get it while the getting's good. Now's the time to build your stockpile, to help weather the next shortage.

As demand lowers (now that the pressure is off), the manufacturers will begin cutting back on production, which will drive prices up a bit.

So I don't forsee prices getting any better than they are right now in the near future, and we very likely will see small price increases.

(Although as pointed out by other, $85/240 isn't exactly a great deal... You can do better online, even with shipping factored in.)

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of az4783054
posted Hide Post
I agree with above. Buy what you can afford now and if/when another liberal gets elected you'll be ahead of their games. This applies not only to federal elections but local elections. Local liberals are going to attempt more end runs around the President and the conservative congress.

Bloomberg is alive and wealthy and will continue to press his agenda against guns and/or ammunition. The latter is not protected by the 2nd amendment.

Beware of a man whose only pistol is a 1911, he's probably very good with it.

Posts: 11194 | Location: Somewhere north of a hot humid hell in the summer. | Registered: January 09, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Team Apathy
posted Hide Post
Demand is probably currently higher than it should be due to new CA legislation. The buying of ammo through the internet/mail order will be pretty close to dead here in 1 years time. Smart residents are stocking up this year. Once that isn't an option I suspect we'ok see a further drop in demand at the popular internet suppliers.

Posts: 6354 | Location: Modesto, CA | Registered: January 27, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
As an Oregon citizen, I feel more comfortable having a 10 year supply on hand and not having to worry about the future or if a new tax on ammo will double the price tomorrow. Put it in ammo boxes, put the ammo boxes in a locking cabinet that is in a room that has a dehydrator. You can get over 20,000 rounds of 5.56 in one of those cheap 18 gun stack on safes and the footprint is @ 2 feet square. The ammo should outlast you.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Leemur
posted Hide Post
Para has stated on many occasions and it's as true now as ever: if you have the money you better buy while it's there and buy often.

Posts: 13735 | Location: Shenandoah Valley, VA | Registered: October 16, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Avoiding
slam fires
Picture of 45 Cal
posted Hide Post
I have always bought more than I need for a shoot,stocked left overs and reloaded what I had shot and also the extra brass I picked up at these outings.
Now days, deep and plentiful.
So I will just sit on the sidelines

Posts: 22407 | Location: Georgia | Registered: February 19, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Shit don't
mean shit
posted Hide Post
Like buying stock/mutual funds...dollar cost averaging!

Me, I'm stacking it deep. It is getting harder and harder to keep from my wife though! Cool

Posts: 5733 | Location: 7400 feet in Conifer CO | Registered: November 14, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Freethinker
Picture of sigfreund
posted Hide Post
Some of my predictions have been wrong before, but I will be very surprised if ammunition prices drop too much lower than they are now and will be in the next few months.

It’s pretty clear to me that few people in the industry thought that Trump would beat Bill Clinton’s wife, and therefore production was being ramped up and inventories increased. It even seemed that companies like Hornady jumped on the rimfire bandwagon, and I’d bet a nickel that it was because of how they expected the election to go.

As it turned out, though, anyone who expected a huge demand increase after the election had the rug pulled right out from under them. What usually happens then is that production is cut and new companies that decided to get in the market often fail. Distributors and vendors may need to divest themselves of their stocks to keep the income flowing, and at least one large seller is claiming that they’re letting some stuff go at below their cost prices, but that cannot last. If any or all of those things happen, we can expect prices to rise again in the future.

The California factor is something I hadn’t considered before now, but such new laws usually don’t cause a maximum spike in demand until closer to the implementation date. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it contribute to increased prices later, but not so much right now.

And of course it would be folly to believe that whatever depression of the demand for ammunition that Trump’s election has now will continue indefinitely. I doubt that he will support any measures that will operate at the national level, but as we in Colorado learned a few years ago, failure at the Federal level is no guarantee of failure of such measures at the state level. Another major incident here could easily result in California-type infringements. Gun owners tend to believe that such things can’t happen to them—until they do.

6.4/93.6

“Wise men talk because they have something to say; fools, because they have to say something.”
— Plato

Posts: 47365 | Location: 10,150 Feet Above Sea Level in Colorado | Registered: April 04, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of Top Gun Supply
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:
Some of my predictions have been wrong before, but I will be very surprised if ammunition prices drop too much lower than they are now and will be in the next few months.

It’s pretty clear to me that few people in the industry thought that Trump would beat Bill Clinton’s wife, and therefore production was being ramped up and inventories increased. It even seemed that companies like Hornady jumped on the rimfire bandwagon, and I’d bet a nickel that it was because of how they expected the election to go.

As it turned out, though, anyone who expected a huge demand increase after the election had the rug pulled right out from under them. What usually happens then is that production is cut and new companies that decided to get in the market often fail. Distributors and vendors may need to divest themselves of their stocks to keep the income flowing, and at least one large seller is claiming that they’re letting some stuff go at below their cost prices, but that cannot last. If any or all of those things happen, we can expect prices to rise again in the future.

The California factor is something I hadn’t considered before now, but such new laws usually don’t cause a maximum spike in demand until closer to the implementation date. I wouldn’t be surprised to see it contribute to increased prices later, but not so much right now.

And of course it would be folly to believe that whatever depression of the demand for ammunition that Trump’s election has now will continue indefinitely. I doubt that he will support any measures that will operate at the national level, but as we in Colorado learned a few years ago, failure at the Federal level is no guarantee of failure of such measures at the state level. Another major incident here could easily result in California-type infringements. Gun owners tend to believe that such things can’t happen to them—until they do.

I think you pretty well nailed it. There definitely are dealers selling ammo at below cost. The manufacturers are not giving many deals. Most are either holding their prices from last year or adding the very typical yearly increase. I don't see the manufacturers lowering their prices except for extreme over-stock. Other than the fire sales, I think prices on ammo are about as low as we will see.

https://www.topgunsupply.com

SIG SAUER Dealer and Parts Distributor

Posts: 10338 | Location: Ohio | Registered: April 11, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Inject yourself!
posted Hide Post
Stock up. Shoot more.

I'm finally contemplating picking up a dedicated .22 suppressor host now that ammo is showing back up. I've shot my .22 very little for a long time, I used to shoot thousands of rounds. I wish I would have stocked up 20 years ago just on .22LR. I don't want to in the same spot again.

Do not send me to a heaven where there are no dogs.
Step Up or Stand Aside: Support the Troops !
Expectations are premeditated disappointments.

Posts: 8339 | Location: West | Registered: November 26, 2002Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I think prices will continue to drop - perhaps dramatically - in 2017.

Mainly due to the lack of 'hysteria' that comes along with Dems being in office. Obviously there is a floor which is created by labor and raw materials costs...

But I agree with a concept I read about here years ago which is effectively 'shoot 100, buy 200'.

--------------------------------

Proverbs 27:17 - As iron sharpens iron, so one man sharpens another.

Posts: 8940 | Location: Florida | Registered: September 20, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
No place to go and
all day to get there
Picture of JWF
posted Hide Post
^^^^^^
Then reload the 100.

Just another day in paradise.

NRA
Georgia Carry

Posts: 1321 | Location: NW GA | Registered: September 08, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
I bought my 9mm "race gun" in 2009. Before that I'd had no 9mm anything. I managed, through dint of pure, bloody-minded perseverance, to obtain stock adequate for my needs. I vowed I was not going to let that happen again.

So my rule is to buy as much ammo as I deem necessary to preserve a safety stock, to the extent I can afford it and have storage, and replace it as I use it.

I'm certainly not going to trust current conditions. I'm reminded of American car-buyers. Gas goes up, everybody panics and tries to offload their big, gas-guzzling SUVs, minivans, etc., and buy tiny cars. At a loss. Gas prices go down: Dump the econocars and buy new, big, gas-guzzling SUVs, minivans, etc. Yup: Again, at a loss.

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe
"If we let things terrify us, life will not be worth living." -- Seneca the Younger, Roman Stoic philosopher

Posts: 26009 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I recently relocated from anti gun New York to free America ( god bless the state of Arizona!)
And when I moved I travelled light- so was not in a position to bring a huge stock of ammo. ( 15 ammo cans filled with about a dozen different calibers ) and with the expenses of moving ( despite the overall lower cost of day to day living) I couldn't responsibly justify spending lots of cash on ammo stocks. I was buying 3-4 boxes of ammo a week usually from wal mart ( hard to argue with 9mm under 10 bucks a box) and gambled we would not have a Hillary inspired shortage so I got lucky! Will plan on buying a few hundred a week to get stocked back up

Posts: 3268 | Location: Finally free in AZ! | Registered: February 14, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigfreund:

I think you are right and it may get crazier toward the end of 2017, but it also varies from person to person. I've pretty much stopped buying 9mm and 5.56 unless it is a ridiculous deal because I have more stock of both than I'd shoot between now and when I hope to escape CA even If I could find the time to shoot as many rounds per year as I'd like (I seem to run about half that or a little less). Some folks I know are starting to stock up. Occasionally I'll run into someone who has no clue that mail order ammo is pretty much going away in CA at the end of the year and what is likely to happen to prices. Some will be scrambling madly at the end of the year, some will wish they had, and some will be finished shopping long before then.

Posts: 6872 | Location: Lost, but making time. | Registered: February 23, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Ammoholic
Picture of Skins2881
posted Hide Post
Spent way to much in late September, October, and November. Then work slowed down. I want to buy as much as possible while cheap. I hope cashflow increases soon so I can start buying again. Once it does I am stocking deep for next three years.

Jesse

Sic Semper Tyrannis

Posts: 20756 | Location: Loudoun County, Virginia | Registered: December 27, 2014Reply With QuoteReport This Post