SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  Billy Bob's BangBang Boutique    Wasn't it more fun
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wasn't it more fun Login/Join 
posted
To check this page a couple of years ago during the ammo shortage with hope to discover an occasional availability or good price? I fear the ammo glut has spoiled me.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I admit there was a certain satisfaction to finding quality ammo at reasonable prices during the shortage cycles.

However, I don't consider any of those periods "fun". Searching took a lot of my time, primarily looking at a few dozen websites. Almost on a daily basis. Much of the time this was before good search engines existed -- such as ammoseek.com.

Good riddance to what was likely 9 years start to finish of fluctuating prices and inventory levels. Good riddance to searching for ammo at ugly prices when I was between jobs.

I'm not thrilled with the substantial amount of money I have invested in ammo over the years, but it is stockpiled in my basement. I tried to buy when the prices were reasonably down and I let my inventory fall when price gouging was common. I now can survive a fairly extended shortage without issues.

I feel it was much nicer 10-15 years ago, when much more modest ammo stocks were the norm, and when reasonable prices could be found on short notice.

Posts: 7853 | Location: Colorado | Registered: January 26, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
The worst thing is to check this page and see a great deal, and know you don't have any more room for more ammo cause you're stocked up so heavily.

Posts: 1918 | Location: Pacific Northwet | Registered: August 01, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I didn't mean the shortages were fun, I ment checking this page was fun. Out here in the Peoples Republik at least we had time to stock up before the internet sale ban. Of course not everything can be anticipated. Last week a marlin 1894 cl 25-20 came home. The LGS will order it for me , $75 box and a 5 box minium. No one has empty brass.

Posts: 206 | Registered: January 11, 2018Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Plowing straight ahead come what may
Picture of Bisleyblackhawk
posted Hide Post
Scott...25-20 brass is hard to come by...this outfit shows some once fired brass on their website...it's not cheap...$30 for 25.

https://www.diamondkbrass.com/.25-20-WIN-25.html

"we've gotta roll with the punches, learn to play all of our hunches
Making the best of what ever comes our way
Forget that blind ambition and learn to trust your intuition
Plowing straight ahead come what may
And theres a cowboy in the jungle"
Jimmy Buffet

Posts: 10580 | Location: Southeast Tennessee...not far above my homestate Georgia | Registered: March 10, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fritz:

...I feel it was much nicer 10-15 years ago, when much more modest ammo stocks were the norm, and when reasonable prices could be found on short notice.

I remember the South African 5.56 in battlepacks that was dirt cheap from AmmoMan. Yeah, it was berdan primed, but the price was right.

Posts: 15898 | Location: Eastern Iowa | Registered: May 21, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Don't Panic
Picture of joel9507
posted Hide Post
About the only fun thing about those years was finding the websites (ammoseek and gunbot) that do the ammo stock/price searching for you!

The rest of it was 8 years we won't get back.

Posts: 15001 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: October 15, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of shikemd
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Sigmund:
I remember the South African 5.56 in battlepacks that was dirt cheap from AmmoMan. Yeah, it was berdan primed, but the price was right.

I had no idea it was berdan primed. I remember buying that stuff at 11¢/round. I think I bought 3300 rounds in one click. This was about a decade prior to my interest in reloading (of course brought on by shortages) so it's good to know that I didn't waste all that brass I left lying in the dirt.

Posts: 914 | Location: The only state with a state bird named after another state. | Registered: December 11, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post