SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Discussion question
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Discussion question Login/Join 
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted
I picked up a couple M1 Carbine’s in an estate sale. I want to ask for help in the identification of originality, which is tied direct to value / collectability. I know the “what is it worth” questions are not appreciated here, so I wanted to ask for permission / parameters before posting. full disclosure; it is possible I may sell one of them, and would prefer to do it here.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Certified All Positions
Picture of arcwelder
posted Hide Post
"What's it worth" threads are discouraged because they once clogged the board, and are very subjective/regional.

Asking for help identifying genuine and correct markings is fine, but doing so while also teasing the future sale, means you're at risk of basically having an ad for something you're selling, outside of the classifieds. It could also get meta when someone misrepresents information with the intent of buying your item for less than it is worth.

Thanks for asking the question, but if your intention is to sell a carbine, anyone who reads this will anticipate it with your thread in rifles..

The goal is to be fair to everyone, and not have a porous classifieds that leaks into threads on the rest of the board.

M1 Carbines have long been a passion of mine, I collected many and whittled it down to a Rock-Ola which I shoot. If the intent is to sell a carbine here, then I can help you with identifying markings and condition. Such that you can post the item for sale without breaching the separation between our discussion areas and the classifieds.

For anyone with similar concerns or intent, it is fine to ask for information on identifying whether an item is genuine, and what its markings mean. Please, if your intent is to sell it, keep that to yourself until after your inquiry thread has run its course.

Arc.
"You're a junkyard dog." - Lupe Flores. RIP

Posts: 27000 | Location: On fire, off the shoulder of Orion | Registered: June 09, 2004Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Where liberty dwells,
there is my country
Picture of Nick
posted Hide Post
Thanks Arc, I will take you up on your offer of help with my war baby education.

"Escaped the liberal Borg and living free"

Posts: 2225 | Location: North Carolina, USA | Registered: January 21, 2003Reply With QuoteReport This Post