SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Tracking unread messages in threads

Moderators: lbj, parabellum

Closed Topic Closed
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools
Tracking unread messages in threads Login/Join 
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted
Hey Para,
I'm not in favor of you guys having to spend money to upgrade the forum, as I know it's expensive to run this place.

If, though, there is a way to get the functionality for the forum to keep track of which posts we have each read in each thread, it would help eliminate some of the issue of members posting things that clearly show they haven't read prior posts in a thread.

The Trump thread is a good example of where members can't remember how far back they need to go to find the many pages of posts they have not read since they were last reading the thread a day or two ago, and end up posting things that have already been asked and answered.

The ability to go straight to unread messages in a thread would make participation more enjoyable, and likely less frustrating for you and all of us to not have to continue to see the same things rehashed over and over again.

Along with that functionality would likely be the ability to click "Mark Forum Read" for each member to use on each sub-forum.

Anyway, great community here. And again, not wanting you to have to spend more money on this, but thought there might be a way to gain that functionality without more cost.

Thanks for everything!
Kevin
 
Posts: 2598 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Report This Post
Member
posted Hide Post
On my machines, the pages I have read show in red at top right of page; unread show in black. Makes it easy to pick up where I left off. Seems we already have what you are requesting...unless my machines are different.



You've got to know what to do when you don't know what to do.
 
Posts: 285 | Location: SML-VA | Registered: November 29, 2013Report This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by SMLgraybeard:
On my machines, the pages I have read show in red at top right of page; unread show in black. Makes it easy to pick up where I left off. Seems we already have what you are requesting...unless my machines are different.

Yeah, that works fine for the session you are viewing right now. But if you log on to the site from two different computers, you have no way of knowing which pages you're read. Or, when you log back in tomorrow, the threads where you have read some of the posts may be marked in red on the left side, but you don't know which pages you've already read, as the page numbers in the upper right only turn red for the session you are viewing that day.

Go click on a thread that you haven't viewed in several days. You have no way of knowing which posts you've read or haven't read.

Most new forum software has a "button" you can click on for each thread that will take you straight to unread messages on that thread.

If there's a way to do it here now, I'd love to know about it.
 
Posts: 2598 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Report This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
Near the top of each forum page, left side:

Find --> New Since Your Last Visit



Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"
 
Posts: 14532 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Report This Post
Normality Contraindicated
Picture of italia
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Near the top of each forum page, left side:

Find --> New Since Your Last Visit

Yeah, again, that's not what I'm talking about. Viewing all unread threads pulls in posts from every thread in every sub-forum, which is too time consuming to be useful.

What is useful is being able to look at an individual thread and jump to the exact oldest post that hasn't been read. The forum problem with users posting without reading threads would be mitigated by a "Go to First Unread Post" button on each thread.
 
Posts: 2598 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: January 26, 2010Report This Post
Once a Marine,
always a Marine
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by italia:
quote:
Originally posted by V-Tail:
Near the top of each forum page, left side:

Find --> New Since Your Last Visit

Yeah, again, that's not what I'm talking about. Viewing all unread threads pulls in posts from every thread in every sub-forum, which is too time consuming to be useful.

What is useful is being able to look at an individual thread and jump to the exact oldest post that hasn't been read. The forum problem with users posting without reading threads would be mitigated by a "Go to First Unread Post" button on each thread.


Afraid what you are looking for is not an option with this forum. That will not change until Para et' all decide to upgrade the software...which I'm not holding my breath for.

The best advice I can offer is "favorite" the threads you most care about (up to 20) and keep an eye on when they get bumped to the top.


___________________________
I seek righteousness, but i'll take revenge.
____________________________
For those who have fought for it, Freedom has a flavor the protected will never know

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
 
Posts: 7972 | Location: Minneapolis | Registered: January 02, 2009Report This Post
  Powered by Social Strata  

Closed Topic Closed

SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Tracking unread messages in threads

© SIGforum 2017