SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Possible Fraud Attempt in Classifieds
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Possible Fraud Attempt in Classifieds Login/Join 
Picture of arflattop
posted
I started a thread to sell some magazines

https://sigforum.com/eve/forums...0601935/m/9950071974

I have received two emails from non-members. I am not on social media and do not share the email in my profile.

In any case, one of the purchasers gave a MN address and a LA mobile phone number.

If you wish to pursue and want more details, please let me know. I didn't know how much you wanted disclosed publicly.

Thanks!

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Semper Fi - 1775
Picture of Ronin1069
posted Hide Post
quote:
I am not on social media and do not share the email in my profile.

Your email shows in your profile.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Posts: 12305 | Location: Belly of the Beast | Registered: January 02, 2009Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of P250UA5
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Ronin1069:
quote:
I am not on social media and do not share the email in my profile.

Your email shows in your profile.

But only to logged in members.
He said he got email from non-members in the OP. Unless they just failed to mention their SF handle in their email?

The Enemy's gate is down.

Posts: 15153 | Location: Spring, TX | Registered: July 11, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of arflattop
posted Hide Post
The person in question explained that he had lots of feedback on arfcom, calguns, etc., under a certain name. I cannot verify any of the information.

JPFO Life Member

Posts: 1216 | Location: Heartland of KY | Registered: January 24, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Then, you have your answer.

In order for anyone to see a member's email address, two conditions must be met: First, a member must choose to display their email address. In your profile, there is a field which is tagged "Display Email: This email will be shown to other bulletin board users. If you wish to remain anonymous, leave this field empty."

So, a member must place their email address in that field. The default setting is for that field to be blank, which means the member will have no email address visible to any member of the forum except the administrators, of which there is a grand total of three here.

The second condition is that the person trying to view the profiles of other members must be logged into the forum.

The scammers already know this, it's no secret, so what they do is manage to slip in a registration under the wire, but they don't post. They are logged in only to see your email address in your profile. If you're not displaying an email in your profile, they can't see it, whether or not they're logged in to the forum.

We do require thet members who place ads in Classifieds display an email address, so the logged-in scammer gets your email address and contacts you with their bullshit story.

Y'know, if some of these creeps invested as much energy into honest pursuits instead of being lowlife thieves, they might make something of themselves.

You guys know what to do- proceed carefully, be suspicious, ask questions, and if it just doesn't feel right, walk away.

There are two kinds of honest people in the marketplace- those who've been burned, and those who are going to get burned. Once is enough for most people. Caveat emptor

"I am your retribution." - Donald Trump, speech at CPAC, March 4, 2023

Posts: 107258 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post