SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Question about avatars on this forum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Question about avatars on this forum Login/Join 
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted
Does the Profile/avatar editor filter and/or deny pictures that are larger than 60x60? I know it used to be left to the honor system and I do understand why the size limit requirement is necessary.

I'm curious because when trying to link to a new avatar picture I'm getting the error message "The provided avatar URL does not appear to be accessible." I admit, said picture is slightly larger than 60x60. Thing is I'm able to post that same picture in to a post no problem so the link itself is okay. Maybe my problem is simply the file size? If so, duly noted and I'll try to help spread the word.

ETA- The avatar I have right now is generously being hosted by forum member Orguss.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
I still is a “honor system” and members still use larger than 60x60 images so that should be the problem you’re having. The requirement is there for members using dial up or browsing on your phone cause no one wants to wait for someone’s larger than needed avatars.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
And what's with the caption under the avatar? Some folks have them and others don't.

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Excitable Boy
Picture of Dan the man
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by drabfour:
I still is a “honor system” and members still use larger than 60x60 images so that should be the problem you’re having. The requirement is there for members using dial up or browsing on your phone cause no one wants to wait for someone’s larger than needed avatars.

Agreed, I have a somewhat slow connection at this time and I have noticed members in non-compliance. The bigger the actual file, the worse the delay. You can see the picture full size while the page is loading.

China is Asshoe

Posts: 2270 | Location: Michigan | Registered: March 09, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by fpuhan:
And what's with the caption under the avatar? Some folks have them and others don't.

It’s a Cut, Custom User Title. Some are earned some are given out to miscreants.

Posts: 4981 | Location: Texas | Registered: July 22, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Picture of fpuhan
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:

It’s a Cut, Custom User Title. Some are earned some are given out to miscreants.

I see. So this is beyond one's control?

You can't truly call yourself "peaceful" unless you are capable of great violence. If you're not capable of great violence, you're not peaceful, you're harmless.

NRA Benefactor/Patriot Member

Posts: 2857 | Location: Peoples Republic of North Virginia | Registered: December 04, 2015Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Gloom, despair and
agony on me.
Picture of drabfour
posted Hide Post
Yes up to owner/admin discretion.

Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ultimately, yes. However, Para said he'll grant one to a member in good standing after 10 years.

EDIT: Looks like I'm six days away!

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Ultimately, yes. However, Para said he'll grant one to a member in good standing after 10 years.

Only three days now!

Posts: 1029 | Location: CT | Registered: March 17, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Dies Irae
Picture of Opus Dei
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by jayhalsey:
quote:
Originally posted by Opus Dei:
quote:
quote:
quote:

Only three days now!
You're pretty close, yourself. You already have one in mind?

Posts: 5750 | Location: Fort Heathen, Texas | Registered: February 25, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post