SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    I think someone is trying to scam me in the classified
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I think someone is trying to scam me in the classified Login/Join 
In search of baseball, strippers, and guns
posted
I don't know who to contact or how

I just don't want anyone else to get scammed

The email in the profile works or kgdolan91 AT gmail.com if someone wants to contact me

Thanks!

——————————————————

If the meek will inherit the earth, what will happen to us tigers?

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
email "webmaster(@)sigforum.com"

If you were contacted by someone outside the forum by email, to the address you have in your post, an automated email "gathering" utility might miis that, but a real person reading the classifieds looking for email or other posted contact info, would find it.

And that is one of the biggest fishing holes right now, hitting all manner of "classified" postings on the internet.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" Ani Yehudi אני יהודי Le'olam lo shuv לעולם לא שוב!

Posts: 43810 | Location: ...... I am thrice divorced, and I live in a van DOWN BY THE RIVER!!! (in Arkansas) | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Thanks man, I think that is what is happening

——————————————————

Posts: 7796 | Location: Warrenton, VA | Registered: July 09, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
Picture of Modern Day Savage
posted Hide Post
I may have run into a similar problem in the Classifieds recently.

Kevbo, if you are up for it maybe you could drop me a quick email and share some basic facts and we could compare notes just to see if we are dealing with the same miscreant or miscreant(s).

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by sigmonkey:
If you were contacted by someone outside the forum by email, to the address you have in your post, an automated email "gathering" utility might miis that, but a real person reading the classifieds looking for email or other posted contact info, would find it.

Bingo. Don't list your email in the actual post. Random scammers/bots trolling for email addresses can find it.

Instead, have your email listed in your profile. Only members of the forum can access your profile, so only members can email you that way.

Posts: 32428 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Gotcha. I tried the whole adding words where the symbols would be (AT instead of @) but I guess that doesn't work.

Savage I sent you an email

Whoever this scammer is did some research. Just not enough research.

——————————————————

Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
FYI, ONE of the miscreants I'm dealing with claims NOT to be a forum member, and says that he got my email address from his FFL, and said FFL was looking for the gun I was selling. So, if the FFL is looking for my gun why is this character emailing me instead of the FFL? Also, my email address is listed only in my forum profile and it's not like my email address is on file with all FFLs. I'm not buying his explanation.

quote:
Originally posted by Kevbo:
Gotcha. I tried the whole adding words where the symbols would be (AT instead of @) but I guess that doesn't work.

Savage I sent you an email

Whoever this scammer is did some research. Just not enough research.

Email replied to.

Posts: 7324 | Location: the Centennial state | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
I can start a thread to warn members, but the real security against criminal filth is you guys. You have to be savvy. If you're emailing me, telling me you think a scam is in the works, then, you're going to be OK, since you're not going to go through with a deal.

If someone is registered and relaying contact info to some POS crook who is too lazy and stupid to make an honest living, I'm not sure how I can guard against it. We already require members to be logged in to access profiles.

I'm open to suggestions, gentlemen. If I could, I'd hit the off switch for every con man on the planet. Just lights out, you exist no more.

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Lead slingin'
Parrot Head
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by parabellum:
I can start a thread to warn members, but the real security against criminal filth is you guys. You have to be savvy. If you're emailing me, telling me you think a scam is in the works, then, you're going to be OK, since you're not going to go through with a deal.

If someone is registered and relaying contact info to some POS crook who is too lazy and stupid to make an honest living, I'm not sure how I can guard against it. We already require members to be logged in to access profiles.

I'm open to suggestions, gentlemen. If I could, I'd hit the off switch for every con man on the planet. Just lights out, you exist no more.

Para, you are absolutely right in that it is in the best interests of members to be wary of any of their internet dealings and to be responsible for their own security. To be clear, I do not in any way hold you or any of the moderators or the forum responsible for any internet scams that happen. You have done what you can, within reason, to prevent scammers and trolls from participating on the forum.

I'd also like to be clear in that I am currently in the middle of a transaction with member LZ_226, and none of my comments are directed at him. He has conducted himself with absolute integrity in our deal.

I've been experiencing some Classifieds problems since @ Thanksgiving of last year with three transactions and perhaps 20-30 emails, from three (3) different email accounts. I suspect they may be linked, but as I can't definitively prove this I've been reluctant to make any accusations. There are some similarities between the three deals.

One of the transactions is confirmed to be by a forum member, one was by someone who claimed to be a member, and one was from someone who claims not to be a member.

At this point I'm not certain what the intention of the miscreants is... my best guess is that they are trolling for personal information, there is some evidence to support this, but also some evidence to suggest they might be up to something more nefarious.

I'm not certain whether I'm being targeted specifically or more generally, but I'm concerned that other members may be experiencing similar problems or may face them soon.

I'd like to start a thread in the Lounge detailing the problems I've run into and listing the screen names and email addresses with the purpose of 1) Warning other members about a possible scam or trolling attack and 2) to seek the advice of members who may have dealt with this sort of thing before as I haven't, at least not in any concerted way.

Do I have your permission to start this thread Para?

posted Hide Post
Sorry I just saw this again

I basically decided to just ignore the likely scam artist

Just to give more details my EE add was looking for a threaded barrel for a mk25

Someone emailed me offering me a barrel for $50. (Which is way too cheap)

more emails back and forth until I asked for manufacturer

And they told me the barrel was made by Lone Wolf

I thought lone wolf only made glock barrels, and that's what their websit shows. I even called them and spoke to customer service to ensure they had never made sig threaded barrels

That was the thing that concerned me. Whoever this person was had enough knowledge to know lone wolf made barrels, so maybe a less suspecting member might fall for it

At any rate, I haven't heard from them since

Para, I think your warnings are as good as you're going to get. I wish there was indeed a switch to turn off the jackwagons

Fortunately this forum is a tight knit enough community that we take care of each other and help others recognize the bad

——————————————————

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post

Posts: 107254 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post