SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Not receiving thread notifications

Moderators: lbj, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Not receiving thread notifications Login/Join 
posted
I do not receive email notifications for thread updates. My forum account is set to use my verizon email account, and I've checked all other settings that I am aware of on the forum. I noticed one member mentioned something about his email address changing since he first registered. Mine has changed several times since I first registered. If that is my issue, is there something a mod can do to update my account that I cannot do myself?

Posts: 163 | Registered: February 01, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
On the DL
Picture of V-Tail
posted Hide Post
My understanding of How It Works (I could be wrong): You can have two email accounts associated with the forum.
  1. The email account that you registered with. This is the email address to which notifications are sent. You do not have access to change this. I have seen requests that members have made, for mods to change this, but in most, if not all, of these requests that I have seen, have been denied.

2. The email address that you can edit, change, modify, or delete, in your profile. This is the address that other members are able to see and use if they want to send email to you. You are not required to have one of these in your profile, that is optional, and up to you. It can be the same as the first address, or it can be any other email address that you want to use. Or none at all.

Psalm 118:24 "This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it"

Posts: 14154 | Location: Central Florida (near Orlando) | Registered: January 03, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Fighting the good fight
Picture of RogueJSK
posted Hide Post
What V-Tail posted is mostly true.

Email #1 as he described is your "account email". This is typically the one that you registered under, and cannot be any sort of free email service. (Most people have to use either a work email or an ISP email.) However, unlike what V-Tail stated, you can change your account email yourself, without a moderator's intervention.

Email #2 as he described is your "display email". This is the one that is shown to other members in your Profile, and allows other members to email you. This one can be a free email.

Both of your own emails can be viewed or changed by editing your profile. First, click on your username next to one of your posts, then click "View [username's] Public Profile". Then, in the upper right hand corner of your profile page, click "View/Edit Complete Profile".

Topic notifications are sent to the "account email" listed there. Double-check that you have the correct email account listed as your "account email", not just your "display email".

To change your account email, you have to click the "Change Account Email?" box on that screen. That will then add a new section that will allow you to change the account email address.

Once changes have been made, be sure to click the "Submit" button down at the very bottom of that page.

Posts: 17305 | Location: Northwest Arkansas | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
I checked and my account email does show my correct @verizon.net email address. I went thru the steps to change it anyways, I'll see if that makes any difference.
Should it not work, I'm tempted to just create a new forum log-on account.

I'm Fine
Picture of SBrooks
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:
I checked and my account email does show my correct @verizon.net email address. I went thru the steps to change it anyways, I'll see if that makes any difference.

Have you checked your verizon email to make sure it's not sending the forum emails to a spam or other folder ? somehow blocking them ?

------------------
SBrooks

Posts: 2505 | Location: East Tennessee | Registered: August 21, 2006Reply With QuoteReport This Post
thin skin can't win
Picture of Georgeair
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Chuck Perry:

You read V-Tails reply, right? IOW, you've got the same email address for the "Account email" and "display email" settings??

You only have integrity once. - imprezaguy02

Posts: 6913 | Location: DFW Metroplex, so large and wide! | Registered: December 10, 2007Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Not going to spam. And my account and display email are both set to the same address.

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
Chuck, currently, you have no notifications set. Your display email and registration email are the same. It looks like you just need to set notifications.

Posts: 75579 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Do I set that up in the Notifications section under Personal Zone, or do I need to manually add a notification to every thread I participate in?
I've tried both. Each place I get a pop up window that directs me to set a notification. I click on it, get a second pop up that indicates it worked, but still don't receive notifications.
Thanks to all that have answered so far, feel like a goof asking so many questions about something that should be so easy!

Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
You can turn on notifications for entire sections, the entire forum (not recommended) and individual threads. You set notifications using the 'Notify' button. If you click Notify while in a particular thread, you get notifications for that thread. If you click Notify when you're in, say, the Lounge, then you will receive notifications for everything posted in that section.

Let me know if you have any difficulty with it.

Posts: 75579 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Ok. That's exactly what I have tried, with individual threads, and still nothing. Should thread notifications I've set show up in the Notifications section in my account area?

Vagabond Dreamer
Picture of Patrick-SP2022
posted Hide Post
Are you checking the checkbox to the left of Immediate Notification by Email?

Posts: 2583 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Yes, under 'Personal Settings>Preferences>Posting Options' right?

Vagabond Dreamer
posted Hide Post
Pictures might help.
This screen shows the topics I am subscribed to. Are there items in your list?

This screen shows the checkbox I was referring to on the save notification screen.

edit to resize images.

This message has been edited. Last edited by: Patrick-SP2022,

Posts: 2583 | Location: Texas | Registered: April 16, 2012Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Pictures definitely help!
For the first image, I only have the top section labeled Forums, nothing else.
For the second image, when I do it I only see a button labeled "Add Notification" where your's shows Update my Notification. The text about "Immediate Notification by Email" is not displayed for me.

Vagabond Dreamer
posted Hide Post
Serves me right for replying from my phone last night.
The screen shot was what I see when editing a notification.
Almost identical to adding a notification.
See below.

Are you indicating that when you add a notification, you do not see the "Immediate Notification by Email" option with the checkbox?

posted Hide Post
Correct. My window looks identical to yours except that it is blank under "Choose Your Delivery Preferences."

Vagabond Dreamer
posted Hide Post
I really do not know why you are not seeing the delivery preferences.

I would try using a different browser and try from there and try clearing your browsers cookies.

I wish I had a more direct answer.

posted Hide Post
Tried IE and Chrome both, same result. Very frustrating, thanks for your help.