SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Soliciting Opinions On Value?

Moderators: lbj, parabellum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Soliciting Opinions On Value? Login/Join 
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted
I've pretty much come to regard SF as my go-to resource for just about any question. (Not kidding.)

I've come into possession of a couple firearms about which I'd like to get the SF Oracle's opinion as to value.

If I were to post my question, with a prominent "I will not consider offers to buy," would I be ok?

(N.B.: Plan is to offer them to [local] friends and family at a fraction of whatever turns out to be their [estimated] value. Only if I get no takers will I then consider selling them on-line.)

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10549 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
Head to gunbroker. Sign up, do a search for x model current listing, hit advanced search do the same search for x model for closed,soldor relisted items.

Compare the two prices, split the difference. And figure 20% less for local sales for odd ball stuff. 10 % less for standard stuff in similar condition.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
A Grateful American
Picture of sigmonkey
posted Hide Post
^^^

About the best "real time, no shit" pricing you can get.

"the meaning of life, is to give life meaning" I could explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you.

Posts: 34494 | Location: My Happy Little Tire Swing | Registered: December 20, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by DSgrouse:
Head to gunbroker. Sign up, do a search for x model current listing, hit advanced search do the same search for x model for closed,soldor relisted items.

Thanks for the hint. I'll give it a go.

There's a site, I'd have to find it again, where you can ask about firearms values, so I already have an idea. But, I wanted to get several inputs.

quote:
Compare the two prices, split the difference.

What I've done on eBay, in the past, to figure out how much something "should" sell for, is find all the closing prices and take the average.

quote:
And figure 20% less for local sales for odd ball stuff. 10 % less for standard stuff in similar condition.

Well, as I said: If close friends and family want them, they'll go to them at about 50% of what I determine to be the "fair market value." I'll worry about the other if I don't find any friends or family that are interested.

Thanks again for the hint. You, too, sigmonkey!

"America is at that awkward stage. It's too late to work within the system,,,, but too early to shoot the bastards." -- Claire Wolfe

Posts: 10549 | Location: S.E. Michigan | Registered: January 06, 2008Reply With QuoteReport This Post
posted Hide Post
When people have asked on the forum in the passed it has turned sideways. Changing the question into a bidding war, or stumping for an off sig forum sale. It becomes a much larger issue then nessisary. Hence why this forum frowns on threads "what is my pustol worth?"

Once you place a value, the forum is more than happy to see it sold here provided the two rules are followed.

1 that it is listed only here during the sale.

2 Answer questions promptly. Keep the thread up to date.

Posts: 2773 | Location: Virginia | Registered: December 23, 2010Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Nullus Anxietas
Picture of ensigmatic
posted Hide Post
quote:
When people have asked on the forum in the passed it has turned sideways. Changing the question into a bidding war, or stumping for an off sig forum sale.

I can guarantee you that would not have happened, because I would not have entertained any offers, public or emailed.

But, I wish to avoid even the appearance of impropriety. Thus the question.

quote:
Once you place a value, the forum is more than happy to see it sold here provided the two rules are followed.

I know the rules, but, thanks nonetheless!

They may find themselves listed on SF. Depends upon whether there's local interest, first. I will probably post a question about what I plan to do, but, no specifics on even what I have, much less the numbers I came up with. That should entirely obviate any problem with even the appearance of attempting to circumvent the rules.

posted Hide Post
No worries, i have been where you are at. Which is why i answered how i did in the first post. While the second post was in reply to you, it was meant more for general knowledge based off my personal experiences here on this forum.

-aaron