SIGforum.com    Main Page  Hop To Forum Categories  SIG Forum Office    Computer questions re/ CCleaner and SIGforum
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Computer questions re/ CCleaner and SIGforum Login/Join 
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted
In CCleaner, I set Options > Cookies > Cookies to Keep: sigforum.com
but in SIGforum the visited pages (links in red) are cleared (changed to dark green) after running CCleaner.

Are the SIGforum pages (addresses) I have visited saved as cookies on my computer or as something else?

Does anyone know if it is possible to configure CCleaner so it doesn't clear the visited pages for the SIGforum site (only)?

I’m using the latest versions of CCleaner Pro, Google Chrome, and Windows 10.

Thank you.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Peace through
superior firepower
Picture of parabellum
posted Hide Post
A cookie is a text file, which, in the case of SIGforum, contains your username and password information. If you cleared the cookie for this forum, you would find that once you revisited this site, you would need to log back in, even if you had not logged out at the end of your last visit here.

I know of no way in CCleaner to prevent webpages of specific forums to be skipped when clearing the internet cache and history of your browser. The only way to do this is to use one browser for SIGforum access (for which you would avoid clearing the cache and history), and use some other browser for all other internet access, and that of course, is not at all practical.

Posts: 107260 | Registered: January 20, 2000Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
Thanks, Para.

I wonder what the Cookies to Keep option in CCleaner is intended to do. It doesn't seem do what its name implies.

(The pages-visited are NOT deleted on the Smith and Wesson Forum when I add smith-wessonforum.com to the Cookies to Keep list.)

I'll do some more research and post to SIGforum if I find another answer.

Posts: 4816 | Location: Indianapolis, IN | Registered: September 28, 2005Reply With QuoteReport This Post
His Royal Hiney
Picture of Rey HRH
posted Hide Post
If after using ccleaner, you are able to go to sigforum without having to log in with your password, then cookies to keep is working.

If only the visited pages are cleared (and not the log in), then it's not keep cookies function that is at fault.

On the off chance, I might find an acorn, could it be clearing the history is what makes your browser think that it's never visited pages before?

"It did not really matter what we expected from life, but rather what life expected from us. We needed to stop asking about the meaning of life, and instead to think of ourselves as those who were being questioned by life – daily and hourly. Our answer must consist not in talk and meditation, but in right action and in right conduct. Life ultimately means taking the responsibility to find the right answer to its problems and to fulfill the tasks which it constantly sets for each individual." Viktor Frankl, Man's Search for Meaning, 1946.

Posts: 19583 | Location: The Free State of Arizona - Ditat Deus | Registered: March 24, 2011Reply With QuoteReport This Post
Comic Relief
Picture of Eponym
posted Hide Post
A note re/ what I have found so far. I know this is long-winded.

The problem seems to be caused by closing the Chrome app(s), and only indirectly by running CCleaner.

If I close Chrome, the Chrome window disappears, put the Windows Task Manager shows 8 to 11 or more Google Chrome apps still loaded in memory.

CCleaner says it has to close the Google Chrome apps before it can run. It force-closes all of them and runs.

I then reopened Chrome and logged in to sigforum. My pages-visited were gone. I revisited a few topics.

Reference: Google leaves processes loaded when you exit Google

In Chrome //settings/content/cookies I set:
- Clear cookies and site data when you quit Chrome = OFF
- Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed = OFF
- Allow = sigforum.com
Then, when I closed Chrome, no Chrome apps were left running (which agrees with the "Continue running.." setting)
BUT when I reopened Chrome and went to sigforum, all the pages-visited were gone again.

Figure out:
- Why does “Continue running background apps when Google Chrome is closed” = OFF perform cookie cleanup?
i.e. Why are cookies cleansed when the Chrome background apps are stopped? (But not when the Chrome window is closed?)
- Why are the Cookies Allowed (sigforum.com) ignored during the cleanse?